ForumsQuestionsAnyone Working Without Folders (i.e. Contexts only?)

Anyone Working Without Folders (i.e. Contexts only?)
Alan

Posted: Apr 21, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Anyone here working without folderS, using perhaps context and tags and a combination of both?

I'm attempting to simplify my list structure, especially when it comes to entering tasks, and I'm wondering if now that we have subtasks and can use contexts and tags there is any reason or advantage to sticking with using folders in combination with these.

All advice and discussion welcome!

This message was edited Apr 21, 2010.
Dave (Work)

Posted: Apr 21, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Actually, yes, although admittedly my tasks and projects are relatively simple.

I've relegated folder usage exclusively to sorting notebooks. It's nice that you can turn off folder usage for tasks, but retain them (since they're the only organizational structure available) for notebooks.

My method for organizing tasks without folders works pretty well for me:

I only use 2 contexts: work and personal. I've managed to completely integrate my work and personal task lists *without* displaying or complicating one list while working on the other. I can do this either by filtering out a context in any of the views I'm in (easy) or by viewing my tasks *by* context, using the context tab (also very easy). I've found this level of flexibility refreshing without feeling complicated.

I use stars for designating projects instead of organizing projects using folders. For me, there are several advantages to this method. Stars allow me to create projects out of *any* tasks at *any* time, as opposed to having to create folders beforehand. Also, by switching to the "star" view you can see all your projects at one time, with indented sub-tasks. In most cases I switch to flattened views everywhere else, to handle tasks one at a time and by relative priority.

Originally I had tags turned off (in an effort to simplify), but I realized something: tags can be a pain if you rely on them for your organizational scheme, but they're great for *optional* info. When used as I use them, they add a level of detail for optionally grouping and displaying related tasks which I find very useful and informative without getting in the way.

I guess the bottom line for me is this: these days I always feel like I can add tasks more quickly, find what I'm looking for more easily and make sense of the tasks and information I've accumulated more clearly than ever before. Toodledo rocks!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.