ForumsQuestionsGoal tracking: how to skip a repeating task

Goal tracking: how to skip a repeating task
Q.P.

Posted: Apr 27, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I am interested in goal tracking and task statistics. I have several tasks that repeat daily. Each time I complete one of these daily tasks I want it to count toward the goal. I also want to see accurate stats for tasks due and tasks completed each day.

The problem/question comes up when I am not able to complete a task one day. What do I do with that task?

I'd like to mark the uncompleted task as "not completed" and "archived". After the end of the day, I will not/cannot complete the task. I don't want it showing up in overdue tasks or anywhere else (other than maybe a list of uncompleted & archived tasks).

For example, say my task is to "watch the sunset". If I miss it, I can't watch two sunsets the next day. The missed task needs to be archived as uncompleted. My task stats and goals need to reflect the fact that a scheduled task was not completed. How do I do that in Toodledo?

Thanks.
PeterW 

Score: 1 Reference
You can't mark a task 'uncompleted' and 'archived' that I am aware of, but you can use a due date modifier to move the uncompleted repeating task forward. From the Help file:

Due Date Modifiers

Optionally on:

You can also designate a task as optional (abbreviated with a "?"). This acts like "=", but if the date passes and you have not completed the task, the task will be automatically removed, or moved forward if it is a repeating task.

Tasks that use a due-date modifier will not show up on your hotlist until they are due (unless they have a high enough priority). If you use a due-date modifier and the task is more than 1 week in the future, it will also be hidden from your other lists unless you turn on the "Show Due in the Future" filter. The exception is that even if you use a due-date modifier, tasks will not be hidden when in the "Due-Date" view, or when using the "Search" view to find future tasks.
Q.P.

Due Date Modifiers: that sounds like a nice solution. Thanks!

I have a question related to this:
When a task with a due-date modifier is "automatically moved forward" does that reduce the count for tasks due on the statistics page for the date that passed? I hope not. I want the stats to show that this task was due.

The completed stats count should be one less than the due tasks if a task with a due-date modifier is automatically removed or moved forward. Is that how it works?

Thank you!
PeterW 

@Q.P: The Toodledo Admin will have to answer these questions as I don't use the statistics feature and would only be guessing.

Cheers,
Peter.
Q.P.

Thanks Peter. I appreciate your help. Do the Toodledo Admins keep an eye on posts like this or do I need to file a ticket?
PeterW 

Hi Q.P.

Yes, the Toodledo Admin does answer questions in this forum, so you should get a response within a day or two if not sooner.
sweetramona

Posted: Apr 28, 2010
Another way you could do this is to set the task to repeat daily but under "Repeat From" choose "completion date."

This way the task will stay on your list until you complete it but a new task will not be created until you have completed the previous one.

In this case the number of completed tasks should equal the number of days you actually did the activity.

Laurie
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 28, 2010
There is not a good way to track a repeating task that you did not complete and have no intention of completing. You obviously want to keep the uncompleted tasks in your history for reference, otherwise you could just complete or delete the tasks that you didn't do. Another option is to use the "status" fields "canceled" value, combined with the status filter to hide these uncompleted tasks.

When an optional task is automatically moved forward, it is not marked on the stats page either under due-date or completed. It's as if the task never existed.
Q.P.

Posted: Apr 29, 2010
Posted by sweetramona:
Another way you could do this is to set the task to repeat daily but under "Repeat From" choose "completion date."

This way the task will stay on your list until you complete it but a new task will not be created until you have completed the previous one.

In this case the number of completed tasks should equal the number of days you actually did the activity.

Laurie

Laurie,
I like your suggestion. However, to make it work, I would need to have tasks that can be repeated from "completion date" but have a fixed time.

Here's a fictitous example. Say I define a task as cooking lunch at noon each day. If I get lazy/busy and eat at a restaurant, I don't complete that task. In that case, I'd like to see it count as a task due that was not completed.

However, what if I do cook lunch, but I'm late (say I can't get free from work on time and I cook at 1pm). I do not want the task to repeat at 1pm the next day. I want it to go back to my preferred time of noon.

It is not so much that I want to keep uncompleted tasks in my history. What I really want are accurate statistics and goal tracking. Deleting tasks I didn't do seems to mess up the stats. So does the normal way of making tasks "optionally due on".

Basically, I just want more accurate tracking. That's all.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 30, 2010
It isn't possible to count a task that was not completed, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll put it on the to-do list.
Q.P.

Posted: May 02, 2010
Posted by Toodledo:
It isn't possible to count a task that was not completed, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll put it on the to-do list.

Thank you. I look forward to it. I will renew my pro subscription as soon as you implement some method (whatever you feel is best) that will allow me to track my statistics of scheduled tasks with true counts for completed and uncompleted tasks -- while using the auto repeat features.
Q.P.

Posted: May 06, 2010
I would be willing to purchase 10 years of the Pro subscription plan if you can implement improved statistics and goal tracking. I'll be glad to discuss the features I need with you in more detail if this is something you can prioritize now. Thanks.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.