ForumsQuestionsFirst time setup of Toodledo features -- need help starting

First time setup of Toodledo features -- need help starting
juanantoniod

Posted: Jul 26, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
>>>It should say "fields", not "features". <<<

Hello Everyone,

I am new here, so forgive me if this has not already been covered, but I am new to Toodledo, and trying to figure out how to configure all of the different option fields, such as Star, Tag, Context, and Folder.

To give you a little background on me, I am a longtime Franklin Covey (FC) user, so I am accustomed to ABC/123 lists, but am willing to adapt to a new style. In fact, Toodledo's "Importance" feature looks like an awesome tool! (Is there a way to customize it, or assign the Importance to a task manually?)

I know a _little_ about GTD, but am not really clear what the differences are between its use of Contextx, Folders, and Tags, but I am willing to learn.

Because of my FC background, my tasks are values, goals and roles driven. What I need to know is how to "map" these to the Toodledo system.

I know that I can use Goals in Toodledo, so that takes care of that. Then there are things like roles of Brother, Son, Friend, Partner, Student, that must be put somewhere. Additionally, I also have fields such as: Focus, Calls, Computer, iPhone, Errands, Active Learner, and Personal Care. I also want to have a "system" for sorting on the word, "Buy", if possible, for creating a shopping list.

I am accustomed to having a Prioritized Daily Task List, so using the Hotlist and Starred items will contribute to this list. But, I also have what is called (in FC) the "Master Task List". This lists tasks that are needing to be done, but do not have a definite date. It's kind of like the Someday/Maybe in GTD, but is a little bit more definite. These are tasks, that, in an _ideal world_ WOULD GET DONE. NOT task that are just being _considered_, as "someday/maybe" implies.

The priorities in Toodledo are fine with me, I can work with Top, High, Medium and Low. (Although I do not know what "Negative" priority is.)

In sum, I need help and advice as to how I shold map the existing Toodledo Context, Folder, and Tag fields TO my Roles, Types of Tasks, and however else I should "sort/filter" them. And, I need to know how to create a "Master Task List" that is separate from the other tasks. (Maybe this could be the "negative" tasks?)

All help and advice is appreciated. Since everyone hasa different system, I know that nothing works for everyone, but I just want to get started right by assigning the correct fields to my tasks.

For what it's worth, I am using reQall to get the Tasks into Outlook, then Outlook is syncing with Toodledo online with Chromatic (I love that program!), and then iPhone Toodledo app syncs with Toodledo online.

I know these are a lot of different systems, but I am not really organized by or committed to any of their sorting and fields. It is just that I did not want to switch all of my apps at once.

[I just got my first iPhone (4), and I was looking forward to reQall organizing my Tasks, but it is dismal at that, so I found Toodledo iPhone had 4 Stars (after trying about 3 other Task managers), and figured it had to be pretty good. For more details, read my posts at www.ant-n-alf.com.]

When I become more familiar with Toodledoo, I may discover that I can live with just Jott and Toodledo, and give up on Outlook. But, for now Outlook is also syncing with MobileMe for my Calendar and Contact items.

Thank you all for your kind consideration of my organizing needs. I am very grateful for your thoughtful advice.

Best regards,

~Antonio

This message was edited Jul 26, 2010.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.