ForumsQuestionsConfused about Hiding Future Tasks

Confused about Hiding Future Tasks
Jim Robertson

Posted: Aug 25, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I'm new to GTD, but getting very frustrated trying to implement it on Toodledo. To me the point is to get everything that needs to be done written down and then only see the things that you need to think about now.

I've tried using folders for the "contexts" which works ok - but I keep seeing future tasks even when I click Hide future tasks - but future doesn't mean after today - because I keep seeing other tasks.

Based on reading here I tried adding start dates, which fixed much of the problem, and the other suggestion was to use the today tab - which fixes the due date issue - but now I see all the contexts again ?@!#??!?!!!

Ugh!! - does anyone have any suggestions as I am about to give up and write my iphone purchase off to a lesson learned.

Oh - I also need to track certain contexts by client or project (only 1 level deep - I don't need projects by clients or other more complicated structuring) - which I am currently handling using TAGS
Claudio

Check out Future Tasks in this Help topic: How do filters work?

ETA: I see that you are already using Start Dates.

"but now I see all the contexts again"
The filters apply to each view (eg. Main, Context, Due-Date, etc.) so you need to filter by Context when you are in the Today tab. The filter, though, is "sticky", meaning that Toodledo will remember the filter when you go to another view or even when you exit the program.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2010.
PeterW 

Just a suggestion...

Toodledo has a Context field, so use that for contexts. Use the folders for your GTD lists (which denote status), e.g. Next, Project, Waiting for, Someday.

Like many others here, I am using Toodledo for GTD very successfully. Look at the forum threads and ask more questions. We're happy to help.
Jim Robertson

Posted: Aug 26, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions re filtering the today tab, and using the context field (and folders for status) - I don't think that was enabled by default and I didn't notice it before.

I still don't understand why hide future tasks doesn't mean "Hide Future Tasks" but instead means "Hide some future tasks that start 2 days from now or that are due more than a month from now, but keep showing all the future tasks that start tomorrow or that are due within the next month."

That is really counter intuitive.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 26, 2010
Yes, it is confusing. Sorry. We'll fix it.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.