ForumsQuestionsSubtask priority should affect priority of parent

Subtask priority should affect priority of parent
brentbolton

Posted: Aug 25, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
If I set a subtask as high priority, the parent should reflect the highest priority of its subtasks. Right now it doesn't matter if I change the priority of a subtask, if the parent is a low priority, it will not sort correctly.

Also, COME ON! More than one level deep of subtasks wouldn't be that hard. Get it done!
Andrew A

LOL. Toodledo's flexibility is its curse! I would disagree about the parent/child issue since the subtask can stand on its own and can pop up separately with the right view settings. I could have a parent task that really doesn't need to be on my radar, but a phone call subtask that does.

Perhaps and probably it should be handled differently, yeah, but in the a view (e.g., hotlist) where the tasks are flattened, the subtask appears. When indented it doesn't. A workaround, I agree, for now.

Nested substasks? Don't think they are needed and would just add complexity to something that is supposed to simplify task management (as opposed to project management), but loads of people seem to want them!

This message was edited Aug 25, 2010.
j2020

Posted by brent.bolton:
If I set a subtask as high priority, the parent should reflect the highest priority of its subtasks. Right now it doesn't matter if I change the priority of a subtask, if the parent is a low priority, it will not sort correctly.

Ditto for subtasks and dates. The next subtask due date should be reflected by the parent task. The way it is now you have to leave all subtasks expanded which makes a cluttered mess and pretty much defeats the purpose of SUBtasks.
PeterW 

Score: 1 Reference
@brent.bolton & @judson2020,

There have been many requests here in the forums for changes and enhancements to the parent-task/sub-task features in Toodledo. No-one knows what will be changed or when.

So in the meantime, I've found that adjusting my approach to suit how Toodledo is currently designed to be helpful.

Parent tasks are best considered "containers" for sub-tasks. They are simply a way of collecting a group of tasks that achieve a desired outcome. As I won't be taking action on a parent task itself, but rather will be doing each of the sub-tasks, I leave parent tasks set with a default low priority and I do not set a due date.

Sub-tasks are the actual things I have to take action on, so they are given a start date, due date, priority and perhaps a star if appropriate for the situation. And I leave sub-tasks set to 'flattened' in all but one of my folders so that they will always appear in my lists. You've probably already noticed that if you set sub-tasks to 'nested' they won't appear in your lists. The only place I show sub-tasks nested is in my Project folder, and this is so I can review an entire 'project' with all sub-tasks together.

I've found that working this way is pretty neat and solves the 'problem' of not having the due date and priority to filter up to the parent task. Given that sub-tasks can be a variety of different actions, seeing the parent task in my list is actually not all that helpful.
Salgud

Posted: Aug 26, 2010
Thanks, Peter, that's very helpful.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.