ForumsQuestionsToodle Do "freezing" in Firefox

Toodle Do "freezing" in Firefox
R K Elleson

Posted: Sep 03, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
To paraphrase corbin

Opps, that last post was from me. I was still in the test account.
Lazlo Nibble

Score: 1 Reference
I tried it with a bunch of different views on my account (mostly diferent contexts). The length of the freeze maps very clearly to the number of tasks being displayed:

00:08 freeze with 19 to-dos
00:13 freeze with 24 to-dos
00:29 freeze with 34 to-dos
00:50 freeze with 41 to-dos
03:29 freeze with 70 to-dos
04:07 freeze with 76 to-dos
10:31 freeze with 108 to-dos

Per Process Explorer there's a chunk of memory allocated at the start of the freeze and freed up about halfway through. The size of that chunk also varies by number of tasks (between 6Mb and 15Mb). I noticed that at least once all the "empty" icons populated at the same time as the memory deallocation, even though the UI was still unresponsive.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Interesting. I just created an account with 2000 tasks, and I am now seeing a 1-2 second lockup, but nowhere near as much as you guys. At least now I have an idea of what is going on. Here are a few more things to try.

Can you try loading either the search page or calendar page and see if that freezes too?
http://www.toodledo.com/views/search.php
http://www.toodledo.com/calendar.php

Also, try this. In another browser, go to a view that has a tab with only a few tasks. Maybe make an empty folder and then go to the folder view and click on this folder. Now, in Firefox, load this view (Which should load an empty folder) and see if this causes a freeze, since no tasks are loading.

Also, since it might be one funny task in your account, if you wouldn't mind creating a support ticket and attaching your XML file that you used to replicate the problem in the test account, that would be very helpful to us. We promise to keep your data confidential and only use it for internal testing and delete it when we are done.

This message was edited Sep 03, 2010.
andrew

I created a new folder with no tasks in it. I then go direct to that folder and things load fine.

I added about 14 tasks and its still fine.

I have checked my other tabs which have less tasks. Three folders with about 15 are fine, another with 25 tasks is all fine.

I then decided to try the General folder with more than 100 tasks and it now loads fine. (takes 2-3 seconds to display tasks - sure it used to be pretty much instant).

I signed out and logged in normally to http://www.toodledo.com/views/folder.php and everything seems fine now??

You done something??
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We have not done anything yet, but I am glad that your problem is resolved. I wish I knew what it was.

This message was edited Sep 03, 2010.
R K Elleson

Posted: Sep 04, 2010
Again, I can't look in depth until later but a quick qheck of logging in using
http://www.toodledo.com/views/search.php
and
http://www.toodledo.com/views/caendar.php

shows some apparently inconsistemt behaviour.

I do seem to get straight in with either. I can navigate around as long as I don't click on To Do List. I can click on 'Search' and display a list.

If I click on To Do List it sometimes freezes as before and sometimes APPEARS to work but freezes in a different way.

Before today, when I went in, the To Do List was blank for approx 2 seconds then painted but the checkbox icons were not boxes. This was the freeze point. The indication for me that the freeze was over, was the appearance of checboxes.

Today, after the initial blank list, it lists the tasks with checkboxes. So it seems that the problem is fixed, However, when I try to do anything it is frozen.

I'll review in more detail later but I do seem to see slightly different behaviour today. (It may be me).

I will review my tasks and if there is no cliet-sensitive data present, wil send you a copy of my XML export. I would remind you that it works on other systems under the same version of Firefox so don't expect a simple answer!
R K Elleson

Posted: Sep 04, 2010
I have just set aside time to do some follow-up testing.

I am now definitely puzzled. What was a hard consistent error is now diferent; the sympoms have changed fundamentally.

When I start from 'signed out' and clear cookies. I go into Firefox and sometimes I get the problem as described before.
List is blank and says 'loading...'
After 20 secs Screen paints but icons (e.g. checkboxes) not finished and Firefox is frozen for a long time. When checkboxes show as square boxes, the freeze is over.

Now (for the first time) sometimes I see a different start up.
List is blank and says 'loading...'
After 20 secs Screen paints and icons are complete icons (the checkboxes show as square boxes). It all looks ready to go but I can't do anything - it is frozen at a different point.
This freeze can be short (30 secs) or long (many minutes).
Has something changed? I don't think anything has changed at my end.
andrew

Posted: Sep 05, 2010
Its not working again in Firefox??? :(
R K Elleson

Posted: Sep 06, 2010
I would cross ref this to the post 'ToodleDo "Slowing Down"?' as teh latest post there is very similar to mine above
jalperin

Posted: Sep 07, 2010
I am having exactly the same "freezing" problem with Firefox when displaying 133 tasks by Due Date. (It works fine in Chrome.) I've restarted Firefox in Safe Mode and the problem still occurs, so it can't be an extension issue, can it? Also, I rebooted my Windows 7 (64 bit) computer, just to be sure it wasn't some other rouge process, but the problem still occurs.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We have reverted Toodledo back to some of the old code and removed some of the optimizations that we think were causing problems for some Firefox users. Please confirm if this has fixed the problem for you guys, or not.

Thanks
R K Elleson

Working for me
verivox

Problem is gone - working just fine now. Thanks.
Jean

Posted: Sep 08, 2010
Must have been something in that code, because now everything is working just fine in Firefox. Thanks!!
corbin

Whew! Finally, I can go back to Firefox. Working great now.
jalperin

seems ok for me, too
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Ok, well at least we know what it was now. We'll try to find a better way to do those optimizations.
andrew

Posted: Sep 09, 2010
Seems OK for me :)

Tasks now appears instantly and no "loading"
bw101564

Posted: Sep 19, 2010
Its freezing in firefox again, my ff ver is 3.6.10.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 20, 2010
We haven't changed anything since Sep 8. Did you install any new plugins?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.