ForumsQuestionsgcal gadget tickbox

gcal gadget tickbox
jevanspritchard

Posted: Sep 22, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I've just got gcal gadget up and running with my calendar. The first thing that came to mind when I saw the check boxes on each day was "awesome! it shows me if all the tasks due for that day are complete". As I didn't have any tasks in toodledo yet I just assumed that they naturally all had green ticks because I had no outstanding tasks due for any days. So to test the feature out I added some tasks with specific due dates into my toodledo. That's when I realized that actually the tickbox is just the logo and doesn't change!

Obviously it is just a minor detail but I for one would love such a feature! I don't mean changing any of the other features at all everything else is great, just having the box display with a green tick when all tasks due on that date are completed and an empty white box when there are still outstanding tasks. I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement but it seems like quite a simple enhancement. If I have just been an idiot and this feature does already exist do please let me know!

By the way I'd just like to thank the dev team for making such a great application! I really dig the interface and how it separates my tasks from my appointments and events while still allowing everything to be at my fingertips.

I've also heard that the devs here really pay attention to the community here which is amazing. So I have my fingers crossed that I may see this feature in the future :)

Thank you,
Julian

(Slightly off topic)
I have one other question for the devs or anyone else able to answer. I am considering subscribing to toodledo pro most of all because I really like the look of the auto-scheduler. So my question is does the auto-scheduler schedule based on priority and due date as well as just time available?

An example of what I'm talking about:
1> first choose tasks that can be completed within the time available
2> then from that list choose tasks with the highest priority
3> then from that list finally choose the tasks which are due soonest

[Edit]
I just checked the Scheduler page and sounds like it does have the sort of functionality that I'm searching for.

Here's the description:
"Toodledo analyzes your due-dates, priorities, time estimates, last modified dates, and other characteristics to determine the best use of your time. If you have 2 hours free, Toodledo can pick the tasks from your list that will be the most effective usage of your time."

Can anyone explain exactly how it works? Also does it take into account location? ie rule out tasks to be completed at work when you are at home etc

This message was edited Sep 22, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 22, 2010
I dont think it is possible to change the icon on the calendar based on whether there are tasks inside or not. It wasn't when we built the widget a few years ago at least. I'll have to revisit it.

Yes, the scheduler looks at all parts of the task (not location yet) to determine what to tell you to do. We haven't published the algorithm, but it works pretty well.
jevanspritchard

Posted: Sep 23, 2010
Thank you Toodledo for the reply.

I really hope it is possible but I can understand that you have to work within the restrictions created by google. In that case I have another idea.

Only have the icon on days where there are still outstanding tasks, that way it wouldn't clutter the calendar quite so much and would immediately give a clear idea of which days in the near future still have tasks due. The only exception to this rule should be the current day which should always have the icon so that you can still easily access the task lists even if you have no tasks with specific due dates.

I believe this would be possible as the code for working out which days need the icon could be on the toodledo server and then it could sync with gcal in the same way it does now(I'm guessing here).

Of course I don't know if other people are interested in such a feature but as a heavy gcal user who likes the 3-week / 1 month view this would really give me a clear view of how busy my upcoming weeks are while also giving a nice reward of seeing my calendar clear up as I complete tasks in advance.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.