ForumsQuestionsWrong date format after importing tasks from Outlook

Wrong date format after importing tasks from Outlook
Swannej

Posted: Nov 06, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I use the standard 'UK date format' of DD-MM-YYYY. I've imported my existing tasks from Outlook via the CSV file format. The dates of all my tasks when they've arrived in Toodledo is wrong.
Two examples:-
A task I created in Outlook is dated 05-06-2010 (05 June 2010) but it's become 06-05-2010 (06 May 2010) in Toodledo.
Another task in Outlook is dated 15-06-2010 (15 June 2010) but it's become 'undated' in Toodledo because it translates to the 6th Day of the 15th Month of 2010, which isn't a valid date, hence it ends up with no date.
Can someone tell me please, is there a setting somewhere that I need to re-set so my tasks import into Toodledo correctly or do I have to go through each of my tasks in Toodledo individually after they've been imported and manually correct the dates?
Hope someone can help me.
Thanks.
Swannej.
PeterW 

Posted: Nov 07, 2010
You need to go into the Regional Settings within Account Settings. http://www.toodledo.com/account_edit.php?edit=4
Swannej

Thanks for your suggestion PeterW.
I went to the link you gave me and I found the format set there was already 'D/M/Y', so it must have been set like that when I imported my tasks from Outlook. So my tasks have the wrong dates despite the Toodledo Regional Settings apparently being set correctly.
Any further ideas?
Thanks again.
Swannej,
PeterW 

I'm out of ideas @Swannej. I don't think there are any other settings, at least nothing else I can find. You might have to open a support ticket.
Swannej

Thanks, I'll open a support ticket as you recommend.
Kind regards,
Swannej
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 08, 2010
Our CSV importer currently does not recognize UK date format. Please open the file in Excel or some other spreadsheet first and convert that column into US date format before importing.

We plan to fix this in a future update.
Swannej

Thanks for your advice.
I've exported some of my Outlook Tasks to an Excel file. I've converted a few of the dates into US date format within the Excel file, but I had to manually remove the leading apostrophe in each date cell before the re-formating would work. It seems that during the exporting, each date cell has had an apostrophe inserted at the start of the date. To change the date format of all the cells in the Start Date and Due Date columns, I will have to delete each individual apostrophe first. This will be a lengthy and repetative exercise. Do you know of a way to get around this 'apostrophe' problem?
Thanks.
Swannej
PeterW 

Could you maybe switch your computer to US date format temporarily then export your data? Once that's done you can put the date format back to what it was.
Swannej

Posted: Nov 10, 2010
Hi PeterW

Good idea - I'll try that.

Thanks.
Swannej

Before trying PeterW's suggestion, I've persevered with manually removing the apostrophe in the date cells in the spreadsheet and then I've converted those dates into US date format. I've now reached the stage where I want to import the spraedsheet data into Toodledo.

On the 'Tools & Services' Page on the Toodledo website there are four ways to Import Data. These are CSV, XML, Text & Palm PDA. Which of these works for an Excel Spreadsheet? In order to complete the Toodledo Administrators's instructions of 2 days ago, I how need to import the Data from the spreadsheet into Toodledo, but how?
Swannej

Just had a reply to my Support Ticket on this subject. The answer is I need to export from Outlook into a CSV file, then open the CSV file in Excel and convert the date column to the MM-DD-YYYY format in the CSV file. Then I can import into Toodledo from the edited CSV file.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.