ForumsQuestionsHow am I supposed to implement "Projects"?

How am I supposed to implement "Projects"?
katherine.wai

Posted: Nov 26, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
...especially with only 1 level of sub-tasks? (Where a "task" might have to be hijacked as a "project", and the sub-task then must become the task)

For example, I'd like to be able to have: Level 1: Folder - "Work." Level 2: Project - "Job search." Level 3: Task - "Compile references." Level 4: Subtask1 - "Update Professor Z's contact info", Subtask2 - "Get ex-Boss A's permission."

Another example: Personal > Christmas shopping > Buy gift for boyfriend > Subtask1: order poster, Subtask2: turn poster into jigsaw puzzle, etc....

How can I do this with only a 3-level hierarchy? (I'm testing out the Pro free trial, and it was a rude surprise to find that there was only 1 level of subtasks.) I find most of GTD to be a headache, and a nested structure works better for me than tags and contexts. That's one reason why I'm looking for an Omnifocus alternative -- because OF really compels you to adopt contexts and is less flexible.

I noticed that Toodledo's GTD explanation (http://www.toodledo.com/info/gtd.php) describes the concept of Projects in detail, then skirts around how to actually apply this to Toodledo.

Suggestions, please?? Also, does Toodledo have any plans to add *just 1* more level of subtasks?
Purveyor

Posted: Nov 27, 2010
Posted by Toodledo:
We do not have any immediate plans to make multi-levels of subtasks.
From Nested subtasks.
kathy

Posted: Nov 27, 2010
I think project planning will be easier when they implement dependencies. I asked about that (although I might have used a different word for it), and they said it was on their list.
Salgud

Posted: Nov 29, 2010
I don't think TD is the best task manager out there if you want a linear heirarchy as you described. I have seen others that use outlining as the main schema (don't recall which one it was), and presumably you can have many levels. But it's not TD.

Best of luck!

This message was edited Nov 29, 2010.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.