ForumsQuestionsiPhone Location Alarms: Local vs Remote Push

iPhone Location Alarms: Local vs Remote Push
Daniel

Posted: Dec 15, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out some of the nuances of the new location-aware alerts (which are an absolutely AWESOME idea).

I want to make sure that I have everything aligned properly for it to work, and to know which features are optional.

1) I need to enable my iPhone as an alert source from the Tools & Services > Alarms page. [Is this necessary?]

2) I need to enable location alerts from "Settings>Locations" on the iPhone App

3) Does it matter whether I've set alarms to come locally or be pushed from the website? If I have it set to be pushed from the website, and I add a new event for a given location, and then travel to that location *without* syncing tasks, will I receive the location notification, or are these necessarily local alarms? If I set my alarms to be pushed from the website, will location alarms no longer work, or will they just behave like local alarms regardless of this setting?

Finally, I'm curious about what happens if I add a new task when I'm already in the location. Will I get a new alert?

Thanks much for the clarification! This is a really exciting feature, but I'm trying to map what I know of the new background location-alerts features in the iOS 4 upgrade to how the ToodleDo documentation describes this feature.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 15, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
There are two different types of alarms.

1) Due-date based alarms. These trigger then at a particular time and can be sent from the website (push) or from the device (local) depending on your settings.

2) Location based alarms. These are totally separate and are only triggered from the device when you get near a location with active tasks. Syncing or push notifications are not necessary since the website is not aware of your location.

Adding a task to a location that you are currently at will not trigger a proximity alert until you leave that location and return.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.