ForumsQuestionsLocation Sensitivity Setting?

Location Sensitivity Setting?
harry.roy

Posted: Dec 20, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
What is it and what does it do? Does it change battery drainage?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 20, 2010
It does not affect battery. All it does is change the math that we use to calculate if you are near a location. If you get too many false positives you can lower the sensitivity. If you miss too many alerts, you can increase it.

It all depends on the density and location of the cellphone towers where you live, so you'll have to play with this and the alert distance to get something that works for your situation. We suspect that city customers may do better with "High sensitivity" and rural customers may do better with "low" due to the way that cellphone tower positioning works.
kliz76

Posted: Jan 11, 2011
I'm adding to this topic because it's the first one I've come across that is most relevant . . .

I'm having some trouble with the sensitivity of location services, in that it tells me I'm near a location when I am pretty far away (too far for my purposes). I have the location alert set to the lowest radius (1 mile) and sensitivity set to low.

For instance, this morning my iPhone told me I was near my accountant's office when I was about 3.5 miles away. I also sometimes get location alerts for Home Depot at home when it's about 2 miles away. I also get alerts at home for places like the grocery store (less than 1 mile away) -- this is more expected, but not necessarily desired.

I guess what I'm wondering about is an improvement for future versions of the iPhone app -- namely reducing the distance required for a location alert -- probably to around a quarter-mile or so. This would greatly help people who live in more thickly-settled areas with stores, etc. near where they live. It would be far more useful to be reminded of tasks when you are actually near the location than when you are several miles away.

Are the limitations linked to the GPS technology available on the phone?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 11, 2011
Unfortunately, this is a limitation of the technology. We could do better if we used the GPS, but that would drain your battery in a few hours so we can't use it. Instead we rely on the cell tower signal and the accuracy of that varies depending on where you are and where your cell towers are. It will be Apple's responsibility to build more accurate sensors that don't drain the battery.

You might benefit from increasing the alert radiuss, since this will also increase the distance that you will need to move away from a location before it triggers again. This might help limit the false positives.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.