ForumsQuestionsHow do I create this search?

How do I create this search?
piyush_soni

Posted: Jan 09, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I happen to need to create this search in ToodleDo, but can't find a simple way to do it. The conditions are something like:

A & B C & [D or E or (F & G)]

But the way your condition 'splitting' works by default : "ORs" when 'Match all' is selected, and "ANDs" when 'Match any' is selected, I find it impossible to create it this way. One solution I can think of is to select 'Match any' (when that's really not what I want) and redundantly write my conditions again and again like this:

(A & B & C & D) or (A & B & C & E) or (A & B & C & F & G)

I think this is an ugly way of doing what I want. Can every condition just not be split into any of 'OR' and 'AND' depending on what I want?

Can we get it implemented the correct way?

Thanks,
Piyush
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 10, 2011
We had to make some compromises when building the advanced search page to make it easy to understand, so complex boolean nesting like you are trying to do won't work. You'll need to refactor the boolean operators like you have already done to get them to work within our system.
piyush_soni

It is both tiring for the user to write them thrice, and more work for your servers to test the same conditions three times(worst possible case). We could have an 'Advanced Search' link which could allow users to create complex searches.

By the way, this search becomes complex because existing filters don't work in searches, and we have to include those contexts in the search to hide.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Ok, we'll try to make it better.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.