ForumsQuestionsduration

duration
eykanal

Posted: Feb 04, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
This is an old problem, but I'm wondering whether there are any new solutions to it.

I'm interested in a "duration" field, which would specify the number of days that a given task would stay in the "due today" field. I.e., if a task was set to be due on 2/1, and given a duration of "5", then on 2/4 it would still be "current." On 2/7 it would be 2 days overdue, since it was supposed to be completed on 2/5.

The aim of this would be to address the problem of tasks which take multiple days to complete. Simply saying "just split it up into single-day tasks!" is a bad suggestion, since the single-day chunking is arbitrary; I could very well split every task I have into hourly chunks and create tasks that way, but I don't because not all tasks require that level of granularity. I think this could be a good way to get around that.

Any thoughts?

This message was edited Feb 04, 2011.
Salgud

Posted: Feb 04, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
Why not just use the "Start Date" field, along with the "Due Date" field? That's how many of us do it.
eykanal

Posted: Feb 08, 2011
Huh... I'm supposedly "watching" this topic, but I didn't get any emails that there were responses to it.

Thanks, that field wasn't turned on. I'm still playing with it but that looks like a good solution. (Of course, that adds yet another mostly-useless column to my screen, which once again brings up the "please redo the UI" topic, but that's another rant.) Thanks!
eykanal

Posted: Feb 09, 2011
So, after having used this, this isn't quite what I'm looking for. Sure, I can set the start date, but it's still not listed as "due today" until it's due. Thinking about this more, this does make sense, since I'm listing things by due. However, functionally, this is poor design, since if it was supposed to start yesterday, and it's due tomorrow, I should have it listed as a "to-do" item today, and it's not listed that way.

I guess what I'm looking for is a way to have an item be listed as "due today" for a number of days in a row, because that's typically how items actually work. If the solution is to make a new type of view, then so be it, but I'm not sure what's the best way to do this. I would love to hear some feedback from the developers on what they think of this... I doubt I'm the only one with this problem. Thanks!
PeterW 

@eykanal,

In most task management systems (in fact all of the ones I know) tasks can only be 'due' on one specific date. They can't be due on a number of days in a row.

If you want a task to stay on your radar for a number of days in Toodledo, you will have to set a start date and set an ultimate due date.

Or if it is a task you work on daily, then use the 'clone' feature to create one for each date and check it off.
PeterW 

Posted by eykanal:
Huh... I'm supposedly "watching" this topic, but I didn't get any emails that there were responses to it.

Unfortunately the watchlist doesn't send notification emails or anything like that. All you can do is click on the 'Your Watchlist' link at the top right of your browser window when you visit the site. This displays all topics you are watching and then you have to look at the unread ones.

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/watch.php
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.