ForumsQuestions Lost My Folder And Context Designations

Lost My Folder And Context Designations
mhbowes11

Posted: Feb 11, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I spent a long time last night rearranging all my tasks and giving them all new folder and context designations. I shut down my computer at night and this morning all those designations except for about four are completely gone. How can I be assured that if I go through that tedious process again I will not lose it all? Using the latest Firefox for Mac.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
There are two things that could have happened.

1) You may have lost your network connection, or it might have gotten really slow while on Toodledo, so any changes you made would not get fully saved to the website. If this happened, the orange spinners that appear briefly when editing a field would have never gone away and would have indicated that it was still trying to save the data. If you closed your browser before the spinners all went away, then the data would not have saved.

2) You may have synced some external app with Toodledo that still had the old data and it incorrectly overwrote the data on the server. It depends on what you are syncing. If you use our iPhone app, this would only happen if you pressed the "force sync from iPhone to website" button.
mhbowes11

I think it was something else.

It took a long time for me to set up folders and contexts for each of my tasks. I have a private high-speed Internet connection that is constant. The orange spinners did their thing each time and stopped. Some hours passed between the time I finished this project and the time I closed the browser and shut down the computer.

I did sync my iPhone app. It is set to automatically sync when I started which, it was doing when I forced a sync from the computer to the iPhone. I did double check that I was tapping the correct force sync. Maybe something about the force sync at the same time the iPhone may have been doing its startup sync?

I think I will change the iPhone settings not to sync, fix some of the data, then force a sync to the iPhone and see what happens.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 14, 2011
Yes, if you forced a sync while the app was in the middle of a startup sync, that could have definitely caused problems. Under normal circumstances, doing a force-sync should never be necessary. If you had allowed the startup sync to finish, it would have updated everything correctly.

We will update the app so that forcing a sync while one is already happening will not be allowed.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2011.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.