ForumsQuestionsSubtasks levels

Subtasks levels
ameer.email

Posted: Mar 08, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

A question was asked in 2009 regarding the number of levels you can have of subtasks, the answer was one.

Has this changed ? I would like to upgrade my account but I absolutely need multi-level subtasks because my projects often have sub-projects that routinely change.

I'm a former Pro Remember The Milk user, looking for alternatives that better suit the following needs:

1) Well designed web interface
2) Native iPhone app with full functionality of web interface
3) multi-level subtasks/hierarchies
4) Google Calendar integration

I've tested almost everything out there, Toodledo is the only one that comes close to achieving these things. Thought I must say that Checkvist has a nicer and quicker interface, I like that the fonts are large and the interface minimal.

This message was edited Mar 08, 2011.
Salgud

Score: -1 Reference
Still only one level of subtasks. I think I saw a post from the developer saying there is no intent to add more - that's the pervue of Project Management software, and I agree. YMMV.
ameer.email

I read that they may add one more level in the future.

I don't understand why it's difficult, Checkvist has what seems an infinite number of levels. Then again Toodledo is much more powerful and probably more complex. It would really be great to have multiple levels.

I've tried to follow proper GTD procedures/theory with RTM and found that just managing the list became a large burden and just wasn't intuitive. I use the lists to include short term daily tasks but also long term objectives like (complete project by deadline xyz). This helps me see the big picture and the details at once.

Here's an example of how I'd use multiple levels of tasks:
---------------
Project 1
--Software 1
----Bugs
------Bug 1
------Bug 2
----Features
------Feature 1
------Feature 2
----User Testing (this is to store notes)
------Test 1
------Test 2
----Software 2
------etc..
----Research Paper 1
------etc..
----Research Paper 2
------etc..

Project 2
---etc...

---------------

EDIT: Sorry the indentation/spacing got messed up in my example, I added dashes.

This message was edited Mar 08, 2011.
Salgud

Score: -1 Reference
I think all of us understand how another level of subtasks would work. Just not something some of us need. That's why I said "YMMV".

Where did you hear it was difficult?
ameer.email

I was giving an example of how I would use it, in the hope that:
A) The Toodledo folks may be convinced of its usefulness to some users
B) In case it can be achieved in another way that I'm not aware of.

Regarding your question, I saw many request in that thread for it, I guess if it was easy it would have just been added :)
Salgud

I think that the TD developers understand how useful it would be to some users - it's been requested, as you said, many times. The real question is, to how many users?

Also, it adds another level of complexity, which is always a problem in software.

As far as "ease" goes, I don't believe that any change to software as complex as TD is "easy". Writing the code, which might or might not be easy, is just the start. After you write, you have to test, and test all possible scenarios which might cause problems - bugs. As evidenced by the number of bugs that have occurred in the last few months after relatively small features were added to TD, this is problematic. I'm sure they test them before release as thoroughly as they can, but I've seen a lot of posts from users having problems after these new additions. I've been lucky - in most cases I haven't been affected. But others definitely have. I would think this affects their decisions as to what to add and what to leave as is.

Finally, there's "the list". The list of all planned enhancements to TD that has accumulated since they first offered it. I can only guess at how many items are currently on "the list". Lots. So they have to triage that list peridically and figure out which ones to do now, and which ones will have to wait. Some features I've wanted since I started using TD last July still haven't made the cut, and may not for a while longer. Nonetheless, they are moving forward, and keep coming out with regular updates. That's as good as I can ask for. As always, YMMV.

I don't know what, if any, effect "campaigning" for a feature in the forums has on their priorities. If it were me, I'd probably put off those features people nagged me for! But I'm pretty ornery - they're probably much nicer than me, most people are. :)

Best of luck!
ameer.email

Thanks for the clarification :)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 09, 2011
We have decided to not pursue multiple levels of subtasks for the time being. It adds too much complexity to the UI, which is already pretty complex. We will leave it on our to-do list, and maybe we will revisit the decision in the future.
mab_1301361152

Posted: Mar 28, 2011
Bummer, I could really use two more subtask levels. I'd guess going from two to four task levels wouldn't be as traumatic as going from one to two, which you've already done.

What do you recommend doing as an alternative?

BTW, what's the best entry point to the documentation? What I've found doesn't seem very comprehensive or complete. Surely I'm missing something...
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 28, 2011
As an alternative, I would recommend using tags and status to help organize subtasks.

Here is our entry point for documentation: http://www.toodledo.com/info
Toddbg

Posted: Jul 10, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Toodledo:
We have decided to not pursue multiple levels of subtasks for the time being. It adds too much complexity to the UI, which is already pretty complex. We will leave it on our to-do list, and maybe we will revisit the decision in the future.

SERIOUSLY??!!

Can we have at least a couple more levels?

Hell even one more level would do wonders for me.

Please? -
Salgud

Posted: Jul 11, 2011
Posted by Toodledo:

Very happy to hear that. I think TD is pretty complex right now, don't really want to add features that will make the interface more convoluted, which this one surely would.
YVHolub

Posted: Jul 13, 2011
How can one or two additional levels of tasks make the interface more convoluted?.. The user interface already has almost everything necessary to add one or two more levels,I guess.. One or two additional levels of tasks would definitely be very useful. Looks like it is just a matter of putting efforts into some additional coding and testing, which should not create problems for the current site as can be done separately. I guess TD will not add more levels until other players make their products comparable, start offering this feature and stealing customers from TD. It is not that difficult to switch if necessary..
Salgud

Posted: Jul 13, 2011
Posted by iaroslav.golub:
How can one or two additional levels of tasks make the interface more convoluted?.

Because it would add one or two more levels of tasks? There are already problems with hiding/showing subtasks and the many issues it creates. More levels would most definitely exacerbate those issues, and maybe even create new ones.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2011.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.