ForumsQuestionsProblem with "Due-Date sort" and Indented subtasks

Problem with "Due-Date sort" and Indented subtasks
Brad.Lipinski

Posted: Mar 09, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
The ability to have subtasks is great. However, if I sort by due-date, and the parent is not due until much later(my parent tasks will always have later due-dates than my subtasks), then none of my subtasks show up in my hotlist and in order of the nearest due-date. It would be nice to have the option of sorting by due-date with the parent/subtask combo showing in the order of the subtask with the nearest due date.

For example, let's say I have a parent task that is to build a house by June 1, and a subtask that says I must order the lumber by March 1st. If on March 1st I sort by due-date and my subtasks are indented.... I do not see the "ordering lumber task" on my list. Ideally, if there is a subtask that is due right away it should display the parent&subtasks based on that March 1st subtask, not on the June 1st parent.

Hopefully that makes sense. I missed a couple deadlines because I didn't know the site worked this way. I now don't use the indented subtasks which was one of the main reasons I bought the pro-plus subscription.

Any thoughts?
PeterW 

Posted: Mar 09, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
A couple of suggestions:

1. You should probably consider the parent task as a 'container' for your subtasks, meaning that the parent is not actually a task that you do and therefore doesn't actually need a due date.

2. Go into account settings here: http://www.toodledo.com/account_edit.php?edit=19 and set the option 'Indented mode shows loose subtasks. (recommended)' or 'Indented mode shows all subtasks nested, even if the parent shouldn't be visible'.

Either of these options will ensure that your subtasks with due dates are visible even if the parent isn't or if the parent has no due date (which I recommend as per point #1).
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.