ForumsTips & TricksTutorial: How to add new tasks via Firefox Address Bar

Tutorial: How to add new tasks via Firefox Address Bar
shwnchr

Posted: Dec 05, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
This tutorial will explain how to add new tasks to Toodledo by typing directly into the Firefox address bar. The procedure relies on the awesome power of Firefox Search Keywords—a functionality that is already built into the browser—and doesn't require you to install anything extra.

To begin, navigate to Toodledo's main user interface screen and click Add Task

This tutorial will now branch off into two directions:
General and Folder-specific.

If all you want is a quick way of adding new tasks (i.e. "Get it off my mind, I'll worry about organization later"), then follow the General branch. This will result in all new tasks added via the FF address bar to be filed as "No Folder"

If you would like the ability to file your new tasks into one or more Toodledo folders, then follow the Folder-specific branch. This will result in each new task being created inside the Toodledo folder you have designated.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
General
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Right-click inside the Task title text box and choose Add a Keyword for this Search

Fill in the parameters for your new bookmark. The name may be edited to whatever you prefer. The location should NOT be modified in any way. The folder you choose to save the bookmark in is entirely up to you. Special attention should be given to the keyword that you assign. Ideally, whatever you choose should be short and easy to remember because you will have to type the keyword as a prefix each time you add a new task. For this example, I will use +1 as my keyword.

Once you have finished, click Save

You may now click Cancel on the Add New Task page

That's all there is to setting it up!

To add a new task via the Firefox address bar, here is what you will need to do. First things first, you will need to place your cursor inside the address bar. The quickest way to do this is by using the Ctrl-L shortcut. Pressing this on your keyboard will automatically move your cursor to the address bar and highlight its present contents, which is a good thing because that means we can just start typing right away (the act of typing with content highlighted replaces the old content with new) without having to fuss around with the mouse or drag-select everything or tediously backspace over what's already there.

Now, type the keyword you chose in the earlier step, followed by a single space, followed by the text you wish to add as the title of your new task.

Once you've finished doing that, press Enter.

Firefox will then generate a confirmation page showing you that the new task has been created successfully

◄ General branch concludes here ►

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Folder-specific
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Select the appropriate folder for your new tasks from the drop-down menu. For this example, I will be choosing the Example Folder 1 folder

Right-click inside the Task title text box and choose Add a Keyword for this Search

Fill in the parameters for your new bookmark. The name may be edited to whatever you prefer. The location should NOT be modified in any way. The folder you choose to save the bookmark in is entirely up to you. Special attention should be given to the keyword that you assign. Ideally, whatever you choose should be short and easy to remember because you will have to type the keyword as a prefix each time you add a new task.

Furthermore, if you intend for your new tasks to be added to a specific Toodledo folder, it would be advisable to choose a keyword that reflects that folder. For this example, I will use +1 as my keyword, which adequately reflects that I will be filing these new tasks in the Example Folder 1 folder.

Once you have finished, click Save

You may now click Cancel on the Add New Task page

That's all there is to setting it up! To add additional keywords for designating additional Toodledo folders for filing your new tasks, just repeat the steps above noting that all keywords you choose must be unique.

To add a new task via the Firefox address bar, here is what you will need to do. First things first, you will need to place your cursor inside the address bar. The quickest way to do this is by using the Ctrl-L shortcut. Pressing this on your keyboard will automatically move your cursor to the address bar and highlight its present contents, which is a good thing because that means we can just start typing right away (the act of typing with content highlighted replaces the old content with new) without having to fuss around with the mouse or drag-select everything or tediously backspace over what's already there.

Now, type the keyword you chose in the earlier step, followed by a single space, followed by the text you wish to add as the title of your new task.

Once you've finished doing that, press Enter.

Firefox will then generate a confirmation page showing you that the new task has been created successfully

◄ Folder-specifc branch concludes here ►

END OF TUTORIAL

This message was edited Dec 05, 2012.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.