ForumsTips & TricksAlerts on Android with Pocket Informant PI

Alerts on Android with Pocket Informant PI
timk

Posted: Feb 04, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Alerts on Android with Pocket Informant PI do work.

To make Android-notifications work:

1) Via the TooldeDo web interface, configure alerts under Tools-Alerts. Change any one of the five-options set to other than "none". That is, choose any SMS or email but at least one cannot be "NONE" or it won't work later in Informant. The system doesn't exactly encourage fake email addresses but it's allowed.

There is currently no other way to set alerts "on" without choosing either SMS or email. I wish there was an "ON" setting without SMS or email - this would allow PI to use local native app alerts.

2) Via the web, in your account settings, have New Task defaults set as due with a DATE and TIME as the default. I use "today - 11:00am" as the default with a reminder notification of 1 minute before. One can then adjust time per-task upon creation. Date and Time on a task, are required for the alert to work.

3) Create any new task on PI or on the web inteface. Notice that an alert of today at time xx:xx is created with an alarm of 1min before is associated with the task.

IF you created this on the web interface, then the next time you sync PI it will come onto PI and notification will work.

If successful,

At the due date/time you'll get a local "notification" on Android just as you'd expect. If you conifgured an SMS and you're not in a dead-cell area you'll also get an SMS, but if you configured for e-mail you'll get an email instead.

If you used a non-existant email address, you'll get only the Andoid notification alone (Alarm wav sound plus notification area plus LED blink) , which suits me just fine.

I don't find the actual e-mail alert useful, but one can either configure an email rule to auto delete it, or using the web interface use a non-existant email address when configuring.

Hope this helps someone.
Works for me!!

PS as far as I can tell, the other native app ToodleDroid does not have native alert notifications on Android.

PPS Just to clarify - when creating new task via PI one does NOT need to click the + to add "alarm." as the alert works because it's enabled on the web interface account settings and goes by task due-date+time.

This message was edited Feb 04, 2013.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.