ForumsTips & TricksToodledo badly needs Outlook integration

Toodledo badly needs Outlook integration
Ummagumma

Posted: Sep 23, 2016
Score: 4 Reference
I have, for the second time, quit Toodledo despite liking it more than any other task manager out there.

It's just too disconnected.

I use Onenote and Outlook, both for work and home. In Onenote, I can take notes or brainstorm a project, and create Outlook tasks from lines of text with a single click. I can create Outlook tasks from emails. All of my tasks sync to my work Outlook on two machines (via Outlook.com) and my home Outlook, and also to my Android phone and iPad.

There's simply no place in this workflow for Toodledo. It doesn't integrate with Outlook, and all of the 3rd party solutions are too pricey for a tool that I would be paying out of my pocket to use on different devices. To get the best use of TD I'd have to pay $30 or so a year for TD, and another $30 for three gSyncit licences.

It seems that Wunderlist is working on better Outlook integration (although their plugin is currently rather lame), and Todoist has a plugin as well (haven't tried it). Outlook.com tasks have full Outlook integration. Toodledo, on the other hand, has the best service out there - bar none ! - but it's a thing in itself, out there unconnected.

In the end, it's easier for me to design a workaround for my most used task functions based on Outlook.com features, than to keep maintaining two unconnected task systems. :(
robmutsaars

Posted: Sep 26, 2016
Score: 3 Reference
I agree that the integration with Outlook is badly missing. I yse gSyncIt to sync my Outlook tasks between Toodledo, but would be better to have this integrated with Outlook (eg same as IQ-Tell), instead of using another 3rd party program
Ummagumma

Posted: Sep 27, 2016
Score: 1 Reference
What's needed is an Exchange setup so that Toodledo tasks could be synced without the need for a conduit. But even a conduit would be fine.

I miss much of TD functionality, but I developed a workaround for most of it.
prolove

Posted: Sep 30, 2016
Score: 1 Reference
It is not good with outlook.If it integrates with outlook itself,it will be better.

And In China, it is very disconnected with google.And use gsy is very slow and always tips to fail.
sknipfing

Posted: Oct 31, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
I use autohotkey (free) to create tasks using email into Toodledo. I don't use outlook tasks at all since Toodledo is used for both work and home. When I type @em and press space, autohotkey replaces it with "Item Title #Today *SBI -SBI @Work ~5Min " without the quotes. I then do a quick edit to the subject and hit send.

Things I learned along the way.
1. Since many tasks are me waiting on a response to an email, I removed ~5min.
2. #Today can be #Tomorrow or a day of the week. i.e. Monday.
3. The SBIs are my current project and location. This gets updated over time.

To set this up in autohotkey, I use the following "code":
::@EM::Item Title {#}Today *SBI -SBI @Work ~5Min

I find that trying to use both Toodledo and outlook tasks not to be a good idea as I then have things in two places which is what I want to avoid in using Toodledo.

I hope this helps
Ummagumma

Posted: Oct 31, 2016
The thing is, most workplaces use Outlook as an email client. So creating a task from an email in Outlook is a crucial feature.

Forwarding the email as a task to TD has several functionality & workplace policy implications.
Olivir2015

Posted: Nov 01, 2016
I have only the option to forward the e-mail to Toodledo. Any integration to Outlook would be meaningless for me - IT department rules. As a rule, I just forward the e-mails with edited subject but no syntax options and some time later I go to Toodledo into my Inbox and continue from there.

So integration to Outlook - by all means, add it for others, but NOT in the exchange for the e-mailing feature.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.