ForumsTips & TricksHow do you use the "Context" value?

How do you use the "Context" value?
leonard.b.smith

Posted: Nov 28, 2017
Score: 1 Reference
Sometimes, you can have too many ways to categorize a task. :-)

I moved over to Toodledo from Todoist and wasn't really sure what to do with the "Context" value on my tasks. With Todoist, I was a power user of Tags. Anyway, I started off with one approach using Contexts, but found that it was duplicative of either of the Folder or any Tags.

I considered the definition of "Context" and it was "the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed." That made me look at the "Context" value as an affirmation. Here is what I ended up with. These let me use saved searches to look at various activities, such as "Who do I need to call?" or Who do I need to email?"

* Do Something
* Buy Something
* Call Someone
* Schedule Something
* Email Someone
* Meet with Someone
* Go Somewhere
* Follow-up on Something
* Waiting on Someone
* Remind Me of Something

I would be curious how others use this value.
Olivir 2017

Posted: Nov 29, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
I am using context to filter my tasks based on ehm... context. Basically, I have now 3 contexts: office, home and travel, and that is enough for me. I spend all my time in Saved Searches, with searches like Focus On, Next Week etc. - and I can simply filter the view for proper context.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2017.
Axl.l

Posted: Nov 29, 2017
Score: 1 Reference
Leonard,

My Contexts are sorted with (1.) my strengths (Clifton Strengthfinder from Gallup, and Values In Action (VIA) from UPenn). Second is the actual context.

I do this to sort the most enjoyable context to the top, and hopefully make me a little bit more inclined to do the tasks.

Example:

"1 / 4 Analyse/Judge": "1" relates to my first Clifton Strenght, Analytical, and "4" is to the VIA strength "Judgement". This context should be something I do most often. Using ones top strengths will make ones life more fullfilling. This context usually refers to something on my computer, or other issues that I must analyse. [Upon reflection, this context has become somewhat of a procrastination folder, where most things are actually "waiting for" (in GTD-speak)]

Hope this can give you a new perspective on the contexts!

Regarding the strengths surveys, please do a google search! Gallup costs money, VIA is free.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2017.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.