ForumsTips & TricksHow to handle projects

How to handle projects
RichTheFly

Posted: Jun 10, 2018
Score: 1 Reference
Hi all,

I know that this is an age old problem/question, but I'm struggling with how to handle jobs that are made up of a few tasks/sub-tasks and I'm welcome any thoughts or input. I'm starting to use Toodledo for getting myself organised in a personal sense and am not using it for commercial or job-related tasks.

For the purposes lets say I have a particular need to achieve the outcome of buying a new car. The purchase of the car isn't task but is the outcome I need to achieve. One way I have considered managing this is creating a goal for each individual outcome which would be great for tracking purposes as I could show the goal as one of the 3 items below a task's name - however, I've discounted that as I would end up with a huge list of goals and I would have to go into the goals list each time to delete that goal each time I achieve the objective. Also, there is no way of attributing an end or complete by date to a goal (which in many cases is important to me for management purposes). Another way is to create a parent task for each outcome and using the context of 'outcome', however the desired outcome isn't a task per se and doesn't feel the right way to go about this. In addition, this makes my to do list even more populated with tasks that aren't tasks. Finally, by using this as a bucket for associated tasks, I lose one level of sub-tasks which may be restrictive for more complicated projects.

I'd really like to know how others deal with this as it's been really bugging me for a while and I'd love to settle on something ASAP!

Best Regards,
Rich
trewaters

Posted: Jun 11, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
I am interested in the same thing. My problem is viewing the task and linking all these parent & sub tasks together. I can add sub task but then I can't seem to view the parent of those sub task.

My sub task are dependencies. I can't move to the parent task until the child/sub task are completed.

Another complication is the mobile android app and the website act differently with tasks.

If it doesn't exist I am looking for a "parent task name" field to be added to the sub tasks.

If people have a great way of working with sub tasks please share.
coolexplorer

Posted: Jun 11, 2018
Score: 2 Reference
Posted by trewaters:
I am interested in the same thing. My problem is viewing the task and linking all these parent & sub tasks together. I can add sub task but then I can't seem to view the parent of those sub task.

My sub task are dependencies. I can't move to the parent task until the child/sub task are completed.

Another complication is the mobile android app and the website act differently with tasks.

If it doesn't exist I am looking for a "parent task name" field to be added to the sub tasks...........

A Parent task name field would be great. Then we could use the sub-tasks independently rather than indented.
martingchapman

Posted: Jun 12, 2018
Score: 8 Reference
I use Folders for Projects.

For each Project I create a Folder.
I then add the Project Tasks to the Folder.
If you are a subscriber you can use Sub Tasks to make a task dependant on other tasks.

The Project tasks and Sub Tasks are sorted manually to give a flow to the Project.
This is simple with Sub Tasks but Toodledo does not support manual sorting of normal tasks.
To get round this and provide a manual sort do the following;
Put a number as the first character in the title of every task
Sort the list Alphabetically
This will arrange the tasks in numerical order.

This also gives the advantage that when the task appears in your to-do list it will have a number as the first character of the title, immediately identifying the task as belonging to a Project.
So when you complete the task you know you must review the Project for the next actions.

If appropriate, call the first task "1 Project Details" and add all the Project details and information into the task notes.

When the Project is finished and all the tasks are completed you can archive the Folder, which takes it out of view but it is still searchable and available via the Folder management page.

To view all your Projects create a saved search as follows;
Search name - Projects
Checked off – No
Folder – is not – No Folder

Sort this view by Folder then Alphabetically
This will show all your Projects divided into separate Folders with the individual tasks manually sorted.

Hope this helps – Martin.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2018.
frogboy

Posted: Jun 13, 2018
I stopped using subtasks - found them confusing with the interface.

I break things down into Goals --> Projects/Folders --> Tasks

Each task may or may not have tags/context/or location

Most projects/folders have 1 task that is a master task. Contains details of project, is the prototype that I can also duplicate. I just set this to negative and reference (in priority & status)

I am a big fan of saved searches. This is what I go to reference. Each one of these has a URL, which I bookmark in Safari for quick finding.

Have largely jettisoned the iOS app (so buggy now in iOS11 - (please @jake hurry up!) - but I do use Workflow.is to get stuff in using the email syntax (have about 6 pre set appended subjects).

I tend to PDF off a saved search and add to Notability on iOS and tick off my tasks with my Apple Pencil as I go through my day. Or print out and use a pen!
Michael_49

Posted: Jun 13, 2018
Here's how I use it:
>Within a folder i.e "Build Projects", I create a project task that stands out i.e. >>>>>FRONT-END BUILD<<<<<<<
>Then, I create sub-tasks which display under the project task.

Doing it this way gives me the ability to easily click, drag and re-order sub-tasks (see settings for this).
>I can generate many tasks at one time under a specific task using "Add multiple tasks"
>I can also click/drag sub-tasks between project tasks
>My sub-tasks are set up as "hidden". However, one click expands the task list.
>Lastly, I can email tasks to Toodledo and then drag them to the appropriate project task.

For me, the click drag ability is easier that having to change drop-down fields which takes more clicks.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2018.
Ummagumma

Posted: Jun 15, 2018
Score: -1 Reference
I do not use a task manager as a Project tracking tool. You end up with tons of "tasks" that aren't really tasks (i.e. single actionable items ) and lose focus of what needs to be done next.

I plan my projects in other applications, and only export individual tasks to the task manager.
frogboy

Posted: Jun 17, 2018
Posted by Ummagumma:

I plan my projects in other applications, and only export individual tasks to the task manager.

which applications?
Ummagumma

Posted: Jun 18, 2018
Posted by frogboy:
Posted by Ummagumma:

which applications?

Primarily, mindmapper type apps, as they are perfect for brainstorming a project. Or Onenote, before that.. I prefer apps that support file attachments.

The one I’ve used since switching to iOS is iThoughts HD, it has a Windows desktop version, and allows exporting items to Reminders.

If you don’t need to have your maps synchronized to mobile devices, Freeplane is a very good free open source cross platform program. It has it's own GTD module add on.

There’s probably something available for Android, too.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2018.
RichTheFly

Posted: Jul 03, 2018
Thanks all for the input to this thread - I've found it hugely interesting and helpful.

I'm going to try a hierarchy of

Folders = Projects
Tasks = Outcomes
Sub-tasks = Actions

Start Dates = Do Date
Due Dates = Due Date

Toodledo has many great features but there is something I just can't put my finger on as to why it isn't considered the very best product in its class. For example, Todoist doesn't have anywhere near the features of Toodledo yet aesthetically it is far superior. One big plus for Toodledo are the integrations with things like IFTTT, Zapier and best of all, Integromat - such integrations allow a workaround in some areas in which Toodledo is lacking.

All the best,
Rich
3748ford

Posted: Jul 28, 2018
I use "Outline" (Toodledo) for project management.

I make an Outline List/Folder. (Home Restoration, Sewing/Crafts, My Misc Projects, Projects for Hubby).

I list each project in the appropriate list/folder.

Then I list each task as an indented (sub-task). I list everything in order of completion.

In my daily/weekly review. I move next task or "Next Action" on the projects that I am actively working on to my actual task list under a "Next Action" Folder.

Another tip:I use my iPad in tandem when I am doing my review. Make it easier to transpose stuff.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2018.
Inner Prop

Posted: Sep 26, 2018
Posted by 3748ford:
I use "Outline" (Toodledo) for project management.

I make an Outline List/Folder. (Home Restoration, Sewing/Crafts, My Misc Projects, Projects for Hubby).

I list each project in the appropriate list/folder.

Then I list each task as an indented (sub-task). I list everything in order of completion.

In my daily/weekly review. I move next task or "Next Action" on the projects that I am actively working on to my actual task list under a "Next Action" Folder.

Another tip:I use my iPad in tandem when I am doing my review. Make it easier to transpose stuff.

Do you have a paid subscription?

Let me see if I have this right, you make an outline for each project. Then you make a folder that corresponds to each outline (which is also a project). Then you make a task from each subordinate line in the outline. Is that right?
ipsque

Posted: Jan 21, 2019
Posted by Ummagumma:
I do not use a task manager as a Project tracking tool. You end up with tons of "tasks" that aren't really tasks (i.e. single actionable items ) and lose focus of what needs to be done next.

What is a task except a single actionable item??
Ummagumma

Posted: Jan 22, 2019
Posted by ipsque:
Posted by Ummagumma:

What is a task except a single actionable item??

That was my point exactly.

A “project” is typically a combination of high-level planning steps and single actionable items. Some people treat it as task/subtasks. But keeping all of it in a task list only unnecessarily clogs it.

I develop my complete project outline in Onenote or iThoughts, and only export low level, discrete actionable tasks to my task list.
User1513872697

Posted: Feb 18, 2019
Posted by RichTheFly:
Thanks all for the input to this thread - I've found it hugely interesting and helpful.

I'm going to try a hierarchy of

Folders = Projects
Tasks = Outcomes
Sub-tasks = Actions

Start Dates = Do Date
Due Dates = Due Date

Toodledo has many great features but there is something I just can't put my finger on as to why it isn't considered the very best product in its class. For example, Todoist doesn't have anywhere near the features of Toodledo yet aesthetically it is far superior. One big plus for Toodledo are the integrations with things like IFTTT, Zapier and best of all, Integromat - such integrations allow a workaround in some areas in which Toodledo is lacking.

All the best,
Rich

Todist provides sideways navigation. That is, when viewing a task with a tag/label "@abc" the tag/label serves as a clickable link -- taking you to all the tasks with that tag/label -- an unbelievably awesome feature! Most importantly, this also works for contexts and projects -- making it a breeze to get to the project a task belongs to. Additionally, Todoist now has a favorites feature making it possible to put your most used power-things — like saved searches/filters — up front where you can quickly get to them. Essentially, Todoist gives you power where really needed -- quick navigation of your task universe.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.