ForumsTips & TricksHow to Add Tasks With Siri in Toodledo - Great Trick

How to Add Tasks With Siri in Toodledo - Great Trick
Jim_1404874244

Posted: Oct 11, 2018
Score: 5 Reference
I think I found a pretty good way to use Toodledo and Siri.

1. Enable Toodledo to pick up the reminders on your phone. There are other helpful posts on how to do that in the forum.
2. Choose a "hook" for your tasks. This will be something consistent you say each time you assign a certain kind of task.
3. Once you are back at your computer all your tasks will be categorised and next to each other in the "All tasks" folder.

As an example: Say I'm walking around my house looking at all my junk that I want to sell on eBay. Every time I see something to sell I do the following:

- Push the microphone button on my headphones.
- Say "remind me to 'eBay' (eBay is the persistent hook). Then say the name of whatever the thing is. e.g. "Old surfboard".
- Siri says "OK, I'll remind you".
- You now have a task in Toodledo called "eBay old surfboard"
- You can keep doing this as you walk around your house listening to your favourite music.
- Later, at your computer, you can create a task in Toodledo called "Stuff to eBay" and easily move all those tasks under it to subtasks.

I'm doing this a lot now. Hope that's helpful. :-)

Jim

This message was edited Oct 11, 2018.
gkoppmann

Posted: Mar 09, 2019
Score: 2 Reference
The "hook" idea is great Jim. There's also a pretty cool little secret built in to the iOS app. It's called Reminder Syncing and I use it all the time. It automatically imports your Siri-created reminder into your Toodledo Inbox. Instead of waiting to get back to your computer or manually move tasks over, you just have to open the iOS app at some point after telling Siri to remind you of something. It brings the reminder over during the sync process. It'll even delete the reminder if you want it to. I used to spend a LOT of time in Houston traffic and probably created 75% of my tasks this way. Then all you have to do is process them out of the Inbox like you would any other new task.
jchriscook

Posted: Sep 05, 2019
Score: 0 Reference
That's what I've been doing for years, @gkoppmann, but it always sets it for 9am on the day that I specify. I wish there was a way to not have a default time that OCD me has to clear out.
mariadoes

Posted: Sep 19, 2019
I just posted in another thread about this, but maybe someone here has experience.

Does the sync function that @gkoppmann detailed work with the new iOS13 Reminders update? I've read that the CalDAV differs and not sure if that affects toodledo. Worried that upgrading will break my very useful siri>reminders>toodledo>PI system.

(I also use the Reminders sync that @gkoppmann detailed. It's great!! And, it's also how I populate my Pocket Informant To Dos via Siri.)
mariadoes

Posted: Sep 19, 2019
Also, @Jim_1404..., that's a great tip for getting rid of stuff! I'll hafta remember to remind myself in that way ;)
guardprivy-1

Posted: Sep 24, 2019
Score: 1 Reference
I've been using this for years (with the Reminder syncing turned on in the app). You just have to remember to open the app once on your device to refresh the server. And, it DOES work in iOS 13.
mariadoes

Posted: Sep 25, 2019
Ah, yes, there is a small bit of human intervention needed, in order to complete the circuit. But, aside from that, it's pretty 'automatic'.

Thanks for the iOS13 confirmation, @dotparker! I'm excited to upgrade, for the new features!
jchriscook

Posted: Oct 03, 2019
Are there ANY plans to control the defaults on incoming reminders? I'm finally using this to its full extent to capture everything I need to due (a la GTD) and everything in reminder syncing gets a default priority and context. That's not helpful to me
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.