ForumsTips & TricksDisappearing tasks - Chrome problem solved (sort of)

Disappearing tasks - Chrome problem solved (sort of)
john

Posted: Dec 20, 2018
Score: 3 Reference
TLDR: If you're missing tasks on Chrome, try going to Chrome Dev Tools --> Application --> Clear Storage --> Check all boxes and hit "Clear Site Data". On re-logon, you should see the tasks.

This has been really worrying me recently, and I'm so happy I seem to have figured out what's happening - so I thought I'd share it in case anybody else runs into the same problem.

I'm a long-time user of Toodledo - in fact I completely rely on it every day. Recently though, with the introduction of he new UI on the desktop web, I've been experiencing strange behavior where tasks seem to suddenly disappear. This happens most frequently with recurring tasks. Since I rely on Toodle to track all my recurring important tasks for business (like IRS filings, payroll payments, etc.), it was very scary to think Toodledo might be losing tasks.

When the problem has occurred, I've tried refreshing the browser (F5), hard refreshing the browser (Ctrl-F5), and even opening the Chrome Dev Tools (Ctrl-I), and then hard pressing the reload icon to "Empty Cache and Hard Reload". All to no avail.

Even more frustrating, I can see that the missing tasks are still in the Toodledo DB, because I can see them in the two Android devices I have (phone and tablet) which sync up properly and display properly.

Today I knew I had tasks missing on the web version when I started my PC. I could see them on the phone exactly as they should be, but they weren't on the desktop browser. None of the attempts to refresh the browser worked.

So to solve it, I went to Chrome Dev Tools --> Application --> Clear Storage --> Check all boxes and hit "Clear Site Data". Since it deleted my session cookie, it kicked me out and I had to relogon. Lo and behold, all the missing tasks were there, safe and sound.

If I had to guess, something on the local browser's storage was getting corrupted in the sync from the main site, and the code isn't catching it. By flushing all the local storage, everything got back to normal. @Toodledo, please look at this carefully as it's a very scary bug for those of us who rely on Toodledo to keep track of critical things. Thank you!
guardprivy-1

Posted: Mar 10, 2019
Score: 0 Reference
In Firefox, I am having a somewhat similar issue. My Hotlist in Firefox is incorrectly showing tomorrow's tasks even though it is set to "1" which should only show tasks from today and the past. My iOS app's Hotlist is displaying correctly, indicating this is a web browser issue. When I clear all Toodledo cache and cookies from Firefox, the error goes away. But, the error reappears at random and the only way to fix it is to clear everything and re-login.
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted: Mar 21, 2019
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for posting this and taking the time to do that. (and ditto on the tldr;)

Just to add to the thread, I see something somewhat similar in Firefox.

It seems like since I started using the new UI (just a couple months ago, but it seems like this is more of an issue these past weeks and I didn't really notice anything when first switching over), task list refreshing/updating does not happen as seamlessly as before.

I run both on both iOS and web. Certainly the tasks created on iOS don't appear as readily on web and I find myself doing page reloads more often to refresh the list and get new tasks added. I never did this before on the old UI, that I can recall.

Also, it seems that when I go between different views (results of an 'f' search bar search and back to full (or starred) list of tasks, for example), some tasks that were there before seem to disappear temporarily. I'm usually in the middle of doing something so hadn't given it much thought and just did a page refresh which cleared things up. I'll try to pay a bit more attention and update here with a more clear scenario.

It also seems that the page refreshes (task list refresh) seems to take quite a bit longer than before and I sit there as the 45%, xx% counts off. Perhaps this is because I'm doing more refreshes these days (related to above issues); I don't know for sure. It sure seems like it takes longer than with the old UI and the other odd thing is that it seems like it started cropping up more around the time that I saw an announcement from Toodle that they'd added an improvement to speed up page loading (so perhaps it's all in my imagination and the mention of page load speed enhancement triggered me to notice this more, but sure doesn't seem like that)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.