ForumsTips & TricksMindmapping Projects to Tasks

Mindmapping Projects to Tasks
jc84_td

Posted: Mar 23, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
Hi all,

I just wanted to share my system for translating a mindmap to toodledo tasks. The method can be incorporated in a GTD system, or any task managment system for that matter.

~~TOOLS:

i. Something to Mindmap, i.e.Mindmapping Software, Pen and paper, whatever. (I use the free version of Xmind from www.xmind.net)

ii. Toodledo

~~STEP 1: Mindmap your project to an outline:

The important part is to use the easiest most comfortable method to brainstorm your way from project to tasks, tasks to sub-tasks, sub-tasks to sub-subtasks etc. and determine a project's work breakdown structure outline* like:

1. Project
1.1 Task
1.2 Task
1.2.1 Sub-Task
1.2.2 Sub-Task
1.2.3 Sub Task
1.2.3.1 Sub-Sub Task
1.2.3.2 Sub-Sub Task
1.2.4 Sub Task
1.3 Task
etc.

(You get the idea of a work breakdown structure)

*You may use anything to do this. Software, or pen and paper if you'd like. I have found that Xmind is pretty speedy,intuitive and fun to use. It is just my preference but anything can do. So for each project I quickly brainstorm a project in Xmind and export the outline (shown above) as a text file.

~~~STEP 2: Copy,Paste and tag your Outline as multiple tasks in Toodledo:

i. Copy your entire outline

ii. In Toodledo, use the 'add-multiple tasks' feature and paste the entire outline. (The nice thing about Xmind is that it already puts each task of the outline on a separate line neatly)

iii. Enter a project name in the Tag field, (leave all other fields blank for now).

iv. Click Save Changes

v. Repeat this process for as many projects as you'd like. Giving each project a project name.

When you go to your to-do list, you will have a set of tasks all related to a project through a tag i.e.'Project Name'. Since your outline has a work breakdown structure associated with it (1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.2.1,...1.3 etc), you can clearly see how each task is related to eachother and how they collectively make up the project.

The cool thing about tags is that it is very flexible compared to folders, in the sense that an item can have multiple tags but only 'live' in 1 folder. Tags get rid of this 'living in 1 home' structure and can be thought of as 'virtual' folders.

That being said, in addition to using tags to define project names, I also use the tag feature in toodledo to tag a task as an 'Action' or 'Waiting/Delegated' task (to organize in more GTD fashion you can go further with 'Someday/Maybe' 'Reference', and 'Tickler' tags. I choose not to.).

That's it.

~~~EXAMPLE:
Lets see an example of how this works. There can be several projects, but for simplicity lets consider 2. One for a party invite and one for a calculus exam I'm having:

~~Mindmapped project outlines:

1. Party Invite
1.1 Set Date and Location
1.2 Send out invites
1.2.1 Decide who should attend
1.2.2 Get email info
1.2.3 Create Invite
1.2.3.1 Write
1.2.3.2 Design
1.2.4 Email everyone
1.2.5 Follow up w/ who is attending

2. Calculus Exam
2.1 Study Chaper 2 Differentiation
2.1.1 Learn Chain Rule
2.1.2 Study section on Concavity and P.O.I
2.2 Do practice problems 1-15
2.2.1 Ask for help on Question 4
2.2.2 Focus on Question 7
2.3 Make Study Sheet
2.4 Get 8 hrs rest before exam

~~Toodledo Projects:

1. Party Invite
1.2 Send out invites
1.2.2 Get email info
1.2.3 Create Invite
1.2.3.1 Write
1.2.3.2 Design
1.2.4 Email everyone
1.2.5 Follow up w/ who is attending

tag for tasks 1 to 1.2.5 : Party Invite

2. Calculus Exam
2.1 Study Chaper 2 Differentiation
2.1.1 Learn Chain Rule
2.1.2 Study section on Concavity and P.O.I
2.2 Do practice problems 1-15
2.2.1 Ask for help on Question 4
2.2.2 Focus on Question 7
2.3 Make Study Sheet
2.4 Get 8 hrs rest before exam

tag for tasks 2 to 2.4 : Calculus Exam

~~Defining Toodledo Actions list:

Suppose, my 'actions' tasks are:
Set date and location, Decide who should attend and to write and design the the invite for the party.

Also, its possible to learn the Chain Rule for my Calculus Exam in the midst of party arrangements.

Also, since I'm not the best person to design and invite, I decide to delegate it to my artistic pal.

Then the following tasks:

1.1 Set Date and Location; 1.2.1 Decide who should attend; 1.2.3.1 Write and 2.1.1 Learn Chain Rule

would also get the tag name 'Actions'.

The the following task:

1.2.3.2 Design

would also get the tag name 'Waiting/Delegated'

~~Getting Actions list

Viewing my to-do list by tag (virtual folder) named 'Actions' shows only:

1.2.3.1 Write
2.1.1 Learn Chain Rule

Note that 1.1 to 1.2.3.1 still 'live' in the virtual folder named 'Party Invite' and 2.1.1 still lives in the virtual folder 'Calculus Exam'

Viewing my to-do list by tag (virtual folder) named 'Waiting/Delegated' shows only:

1.2.3.2 Design

Note that 1.2.3.2 still 'lives' in the virtual folder named 'Party Invite'.

When I complete,say, '1.1 Set Date and Location' it is checked from my 'Actions' and 'Party Invite' lists!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
Hopefully my method and examples clarify a useful system to transform a mindmap to a project outline, a project outline to hiearchal structured toodledo tasks, and these tasks to 'live' in more than 1 folder . If, for whatever reason hiearchy becomes jumbled/ disorganized, then simply sort the list alphabetically!

The project's hiearchy always is clearly indicated and has as many levels of hiearchy as you please. Subtasks can be drilled down as low as possible without losing concept of the next task, inacive task, or how it contributes to the end result/goal.

This can get very interesting depending on the detail put into each level of hiearchy. For instance, it is possible to organize a Gantt styled view of your project, since toodledo has start & due times, lengths, and timers.

Please comment and share your thoughts. I'm interested to hear of any kinks or remixes of this structure. Everyone learns something new that way.

Thanks.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.