ForumsTime ManagementHelp? How to schedule an important task daily

Help? How to schedule an important task daily
cstrosetta

Posted: Aug 20, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Ok, I've a bit of a pickle. I have multiple roles within my company, like many of us do (big sigh, right?).

My main job really is client support, so two of my most important tasks that I do daily, is to go through my checklist to make sure our systems are 'behaving' and the second is to answer any queries from any 75+ possible clients that may email me.

This can range anywhere from an hour to half of my day, depending on what's happening and how time consuming it takes to find out what's going on with our system and how long it takes to explain/fix/escalate any issues to our clients.

However I also have other responsibilities, mainly on projects, not to mention meetings about meetings about meeting or I'm interrupted for some crisis or another. But I'm so wiped afterwards that getting to projects that can quite frankly take up lots of mental space for me is draining.

This is how I have my time scheduled at the moment for the mornings:
1. Review & write down tasks
2. Team scrum meeting
3. Work with director on any issues (right after our meetings is the only time available)
4. Answer/prioritise queries (ie figure out what is going on, look through system, fix/investigate & then explain)
5. Check systems
6a. Work on project if I'm not interrupted (I might usually have 3 projects on the go, for different clients)
6b. Or if its the first week of the month, I have lots manual of reports to send to clients, so any projects are on hold until they are out.
7. I usually have 2-3 queries from my co-workers as well to figure out.
8. Review my tasks again, clear off my desk to get ready for next day.

What I like to do is to set aside some time in the mornings, even just for 30 minutes to work on a project fresh. But I have found that this interrupts my 2 main responsibilities of answering queries in a timely manner and ensuring the system is working fine. Both of which if there ever is a problem and I don't address it right away becomes a major crisis.

Sorry for the long post, but any suggestions? Thanks

This message was edited Aug 20, 2012.
cstrosetta

Actually just writing it all down again, maybe if I don't have to work with my director that day, I can put in 30 minutes of project time. And even though I prefer to go through emails one by one, maybe just prioritising and doing 1 or 2 important emails and then do the rest after 30 minutes of project work???? Guess I'll just have to try it out.
a. acevedo

the best thing to do, is maybe try to delegate the queries and such to someone else. i know that's not always possible, but it is worth a try.
cstrosetta

Posted: Aug 21, 2012
Posted by a. acevedo:
the best thing to do, is maybe try to delegate the queries and such to someone else. i know that's not always possible, but it is worth a try.

Hi thanks, might try it, although there are only 3.5 of us in the office, and I'm the "go to" person or some what of 'the face' of the company unless its top 1% directors of our client.

We do delegate, sort of, checking each others work at times, and that's been a BIG help, or as I stated our director will lend a hand on the bigger issues that I can't solve, but lucky (for him) he never has to check his emails on a regular basis. But maybe sending a list of email queries over to someone once a day, as a back up to help with not letting anything slip through,
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.