ForumsTime ManagementBiggest Time Sinks

Biggest Time Sinks
Paige

Posted: May 10, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
What're everyone's biggest time sinks? You know, the things that drag your attention away from the tasks at hand?

Mine are:
Im's
email
blogs
iTunes
last.fm
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 10, 2008
Score: 1 Reference
Braingle.com is my biggest time sink. Now it will be yours too :)

This message was edited May 10, 2008.
John

Posted: May 11, 2008
Wow! Thanks Toodledo! That's the anti-GTD! :)

fantasy baseball is a huge culprit, as is RSS.

Posted by Toodledo:
kleerkoat

Posted: May 12, 2008
RSS feeds.

so convenient, yet so time consuming!
Qrystal

Posted: May 12, 2008
Score: 3 Reference
One of my biggest time sinks is .... productivity management and productivity research.

I'm getting better though! Finding Toodledo helped a lot, because now I'm not switching task managers every other week.
CJD

Posted: Jul 30, 2008
mindless surfing
Sp4zmaster

Posted: Aug 16, 2008
Flash games
Scott

Posted: Aug 18, 2008
Do you really want to find out? There is a great app called rescuetime (rescuetime.com) which runs in the background and aggregates what you do into an amazing display of just how you use your computer. It's startling really.

SB
kafene

Posted: Dec 06, 2008
1st off... damn you Toodledo for that link!

Qrystal, right with you. If I spent as much time doing rather than trying to look up how to do it better, I'd get all my crap done!
kitty

Posted: Mar 20, 2009
Here's a recommendation for stopping time-sucks:

I use the Leechblock add-on for Firefox and create custom HTML pages (you can set them in the Leechblock options) that order me to get my a** back to work and stop messing around on the web. I have all possible time-sucking sites added to various tabs that block based on time of day and number of minutes spent on that category of sites (i.e., I can surf news sites only during certain times of the day, and only for a maximum of 15 minutes a day).

And anytime I encounter a new site that could be a time-suck, I right-click inside the page and add it to the appropriate group of blocked sites.

Leechblock has helped me overcome my surfing addiction. Can't recommend it enough.
Beth

Posted: May 14, 2009
Darn, gov't computers...theo only way I can use some of these is if they have an igadget for my igoogle page.
Karuna

Posted: Jun 27, 2009
Facebook and Gmail.
Tyler

Posted: Jul 02, 2009
The internet in general. Also I work from home, so the goddam phone (difficult to turn off because of how I've wired things).

I use Mozilla Prism for TD and Google Calendar, which helps cut back the temptation of the internet.

Oh yeah, and also -- as a freelancer (web designer/developer and also a writer) with a home office, I'm my own IT department, so by far, the thing I spend hours and hours doing is researching various tech solutions, and fixing all the crap that is not working right... with sub-par expertise, usually, so lots and lots of time spent googling for answers...

LATER EDIT:
Leechblock has helped me overcome my surfing addiction. Can't recommend it enough.

Thanks for that post. I've installed it but haven't gotten around to setting it up (!) yet.

But your post is encouraging....

This message was edited Jul 02, 2009.
acheri

Posted: Oct 25, 2009
facebook games
Proximo

Posted: Oct 26, 2009
Toodledo Forums

HA HA HA>.......

How about this one. Tweaking Toodledo every single day for the last 2 years. :-)

Not really. But funny.
replytoken

Posted: Oct 31, 2009
Well, when I am35,000+ feet in the air and have no internet connection to sync, I find my best time sink to be Mercutio - one of the few games that I actually put on my iPod Touch. It keeps my brain engaged, yet is relaxing like Solitaire. Thank god I am able to keep it in check when I actually have some work to do.

My biggest sink on the ground seems to be maintaining my "time-saving" devices like my laptop, netbook and iPod Touch.

--Ken
wgarrit1

Posted: Feb 24, 2010
Posted by Toodledo:

Here are some more for those so inclined

http://www.worldwidewords.org/index.htm

http://www.accessexcellence.org/WN/Factoids/index.php
David

Posted: Feb 24, 2010
Checking out new apps!
Pamela R.

Posted: Jul 16, 2010
YouTube. I'm hooked on talkingsticktv . I recommend it to all timesinkers.
Transisto

Posted: Jul 22, 2010
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.