ForumsGetting Things Done®Write plans for goals by timeframe or by category?

Write plans for goals by timeframe or by category?
Nerva

Posted: Aug 22, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
I use roughly the GTD Horizons of Focus timeframes but don't bother with the altitude terminology -- I call them projects, 3-month goals, 1-year goals, 5-year goals, and lifetime goals.

I like to use Google Docs for writing plans for my goals but I'm curious how other people recommending organizing written goals -- should it be done with a document for each category of goal (finances, career, family) with each document covering all the timeframes, or should there be a document for each timeframe (1-year goals, etc) that covers all the categories.

I'm sure it can be done either way but I have to think one way or the other lends itself better to the task of writing cohesive plans for goals.
Ann M

Posted: Aug 28, 2014
I too have struggled with this and the result is that I have both. I use the equivalent of google docs for the time frames and within the docs the goals are broken out by categories.

I then use TD to list the relevant projects from those docs. While it may seem like duplication I have found it really isn't and works well because it depends upon the "horizon mindset" when I am reviewing these. Hope that helps.
Axl.l

Posted: Aug 29, 2014
When writing your goals you should consider using Change Anything structure as a basis:
http://www.amazon.com/Change-Anything-Science-Personal-Success/dp/0446573906

This system is mostly based in science and research, and provides a good framework to develop achievable goals!

I've been through the audio book a couple of times, and the Change Anything approach is very instructive! Obviously I haven't completed all their exercises :-)
thaisgodinho

Posted: Dec 30, 2014
I've been using Evernote for that.
alexandremrj_2

Posted: Dec 31, 2014
Strangely enough, I have been using Toodledo Outlines.

My vision is in the notes of the Outline and then I have a breakdown of all my goals inside my areas.

For me this makes sense because I like to see the branching out of my goals and it's easier to see what are the relations between things. It also helps that I can, in the tab next door, map out tasks and projects related to my vision.

In the weekly review I simply can jump tabs to have a read of my Vision and check out my goals.
lbender

Posted: Dec 31, 2014
I use a combination of mindmaps (mindmanager) and evernote. My mindmap is sort of my "big picture thinking" and I have links to the details in Evernote with my actions in Toodledo. After refining the goals, I enter them in Toodledo for the chain feature.

Michael Hyatt has a great post on using evernote for this. Check out his site

http://michaelhyatt.com/evernote-achieving-goals.html

Leigh
Ann M

Posted: Jan 06, 2015
Strangely enough this is exactly how I am using outlines now. I switched over from OneNote last fall and I like this better having it all in one application while I am doing my weekly & monthly reviews.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.