ForumsGetting Things Done®How to setup toodledo for GTD

How to setup toodledo for GTD
dr_1695547190

Posted: Oct 01, 2023
Score: 0 Reference
My name is gary and I am in Australia and i run a large farm

I have been trialling toodledo and am contemplating buying a subscription

i am an expert GTD user but I am not sure how to set it up in toodledo

the windows browser version i have downloaded seems to use folders for the GTD categories (inbox, next, someday/maybe, agendas etc) but this limits the filtering i can do with tags. An important context is sunny/dry, wet, windy because this determines the kind of work i can do on the farm. but the way tags seem to be setup I cant "cut and dice" my actions very well. In other words, i want to separate my life into farm cattle, farm repairs and admin (tax, payments, etc), my counselling studies, and family but this seems to belong in folders but they are already used by the GTD categories. So i am confused. I looked in the guides and the forum for any documentation but found none. I also looked on the david allen shop but there is no GTD guide.

Appreciate any suggestions

One thing i like is the spreadsheet columns main view. However, it seems to me there should be multiple filters available which can be custom named and setup with their own user-definable value list. In the tranition from paper to software david allen seems to have overlooked that there is no need to distinguish contexts and tags. The design of toodledo does get the GTD horizons right which is an achievement most other GTD software has either got wrong or ignored

warm regards/gary

warm regards/gary
dr_1695547190

Posted: Oct 09, 2023
Not sure what is happening with Toodledo

I posted this a week ago - no reply

I put a request into support for guidance on setting up Toodledo consistent with GTD - no reply

Will look elsewhere
NewLifetimePlus2019Aug

Posted: Oct 14, 2023
Hi, Gary.

I've been a user of ToodleDo for something like 15 years. It's how I plan and manage my life. I'll be using it forever. I paid my subscription in advance ten years out.

I use the browser version on my desktop and the iOS version on my 12-inch iPad Pro. They give you slightly different views of the same data. I suggest you use both. Also use the synched Google calendar function.

You can use the free version until you need more capabilities.

I have also studied GTD over the years and use some of its strategies.

Based on your message above, it looks like you have figured it out too. Keep using it every day and you'll develop your own strategies that work for you.

People always want to make changes to ToodleDo -- "add this," "add that."

What I do is modify my my techniques to fit the software, rather than the other way around.

There could be an endless series of changes as people come and people go.

I think it's pretty good the way it is.

The staff is small... the software is extremely INEXPENSIVE. There's no funding for a lot of free support.

Best wishes,

-- Kurt in CA

This message was edited Oct 14, 2023.
NewLifetimePlus2019Aug

Posted: Oct 14, 2023
Hey, Gary.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask. Please be as specific as possible.

I'm a user -- a volunteer. So please be patient.

-- Kurt
WJV

Posted: Oct 16, 2023
Hello Kurt,

I think Toodledo is great because of all of its options, integrations and views. All this flexibility makes it a challenge to learn.

Questions
-Where did my column labels go? I had them how I wanted, but they disappeared when I turned clicked the checkbox, "repeat." General settings > Fields/functions used > repeat. I can see the values only if I click the down arrow at the beginning of the row.
-Is there a better way to get recurring tasks? I have the standard plan, which is the first paid tier.
-Can habits be displayed in the web version of Toodledo?

My GTD setup in Toodledo v1:
1. Folders are my biggest buckets: Inbox, work, personal, side hustle
2. Statuses are used Inside each folder I plan to short by delegated, waiting, someday
3. Contexts will be used of further refine what to work on when i.e. office v. anywhere

Thank you,

BJ in MN
NewLifetimePlus2019Aug

Posted: Nov 19, 2023
Sorry, don't know what happened to your labels.

Maybe someone smarter than me will answer.

-- Kurt
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.