ForumsGeneral Off Topic Chit-ChatAnyone use Zoho?

Anyone use Zoho?
Tyler

Posted: Jul 01, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I'm working on a project involving several other people, and the budget is extremely limited.

I'm thinking of using Zoho and wondering if anyone here has much experience with it?
Vin Thomas

You might also want to try basecamp. It is pretty slick.

If you are looking for something more familiar, Google has tons of sharing/collaboration options. You could use gCalendar, gDocs, gMail, etc for easy project management.
Anders

Yeah, Google Apps are pretty cool, and there are also Microsoft's online apps which have a familiar feel for most people. I use Zimbra collaboration suite. I always feel like it could be a lot better, but it is really not bad at all, and it does have some pretty cool features. I'm afraid I don't know much about Zoho, but it looks pretty nice.

I have also heard good things about Basecamp and Opengoo, but have never used either.

This message was edited Jul 01, 2009.
Ann

I have been using Zoho on and off, but not for sharing purposes.
I liked it more than GoogleDocs... but I only have limited experience.
Tyler

Posted: Jul 02, 2009
Posted by Ann:

I liked it more than GoogleDocs... but I only have limited experience.

My brief impression from signing up with it and playing around for a few hours was that it was far more sophisticated and flexible than the Google suite of online sharing apps.

(In fact, I generally dislike Google's one-size-fits-all approach to software, with the exception of Google Calendar, which I think is an excellent calendar program -- almost as good as Outlook, without all the bloat, and superior so far to Thunderbird's not-bad-but-not-great Lightning calendar.)

I am basically committing the team for this (essentially non-profit) project to use Zoho -- because free, and apparently full-featured -- without knowing a lot about it.

I am worried though, because the whole suite seems very scattershot, and the help forums are organized badly and full of desperate pleas without answer from either users or developers... that often indicates an app that is doomed to be orphaned by its developers, so I feel some hesitance.

Basecamp would be an obvious alternative, and one with a really great track record, but I'm concerned about cost, because, really, we're talking about close-to-zero budget.

(It's a literary magazine, and a very good one that has earned a decent rep over almost 2 decades.... but it's still a literary journal, and there's rarely any budget but sheer loyalty to run these things....)
Anders

Have you looked into OpenGoo? http://www.opengoo.org/
I have never used it, but have heard good things from people who moved to it from Basecamp. It may be worth checking out.

This message was edited Jul 02, 2009.
Tyler

Posted by Anders:
Have you looked into OpenGoo? http://www.opengoo.org/
I have never used it, but have heard good things from people who moved to it from Basecamp. It may be worth checking out.

Nope, never heard of it before. What a great forum this is!

Thanks, I'll check it out.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.