ForumsDevelopersFatal Error - Key not valid for use in specific state

Fatal Error - Key not valid for use in specific state
anderson.schulle

Posted: Jan 09, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I have been syncing Toodledo and Outlook 2007 on my Vista Home Premium for about a week without any problems, until yesterday.

Yesterday, I made two software upgrades, my Security Suite and my Biometric Fingerprint Reader Software (McAfee 2008 to 2009 and Protector Suite 5.6 to 5.8).

Since then, Toodledo Sync no longer works. I get the following message when it tries to load the program:
"Fatal error initializing user:Key not valid for use in specified state."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Toodledo Sync twice - still the same problem. I have even run a .NET Framework 2 repair command, to no avail.

What happened and how can it be fixed (besides the obvious reinstalling the entire operating system a la carte blanche)?
keef

Posted: Jan 09, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
What has happened is your upgrades have changed the encryption keys on your PC that .NET uses. This means that information that was encrypted before the change can't be read any more.

The Toodledosync app encrypts your username and password in its configuration file. Things are broken because they can no longer be read.

Fortunately the fix here s fairly simple. You need to delete your user config settings for the application. These are stored outside of the program folder and persist when you uninstall/reinstall so there you need to follow a manual procedure.

Locate the following folder:
c:\documents and settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Chromatic_Dragon

Delete all subfolders and files in this folder

When you restart the application you will need to renter your username and password but things should then work for you

keef
ztriver

Posted: Mar 10, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
That fixed it for me /ztriver
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.