ForumsDevelopersHabits API

Habits API
D_Ian

Posted: Jan 06, 2015
Score: 2 Reference
Do you have plans to add support for Habits in the Toodledo API? Thanks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 06, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Yes, but I don't have an ETA right now. The API is still in flux as we continue to develop the Habits section.
baldusyegge

Posted: Jan 28, 2015
Apologies, my first post here, I'm short on time and didn't readily see the means to start a new thread. But my question is closely enough related to this thread that I'm hoping this is ok.

The question is: Do you have any plans to add a Project field? I have been using a very good Android app called DGT GTD (yes the name is confusing). That app uses Projects in addition to Tags, Contexts, Folders etc. and due to the nature of my work I have found Projects to be indispensable.

Thank you,
Mike
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 28, 2015
Traditionally Toodledo has used Folders for Projects. We don't have any immediate plans to add a new field to the task section for projects, but I'll consider it.
baldusyegge

Posted: Jan 29, 2015
Thank you! I know your development has to be chiefly driven by customer demand and I'm puzzled that there doesn't seem to be more of it regarding Projects. Then again I haven't actually read David Allen's book.

Let me give you some idea of how I find Projects rather indispensable in one of my fields of work, which is an elevated form of "house flipping":

Folder: 10th St (my short name for this property)
**Project: Front Porch
***Task: Take before photos of porch!
***Sub-project: Porch Posts
****Task: Check out library books on Victorian Porch Design and Ornamentation
****Task: Shop available websites of porch post manufacturers
****Task: Make a final decision on which posts and related ornamentation to use, order them.
****Task: Install posts and any other ornamentation
***Sub-project: Porch Stairs
****Task: Measure grade around porch, decide final grade at stairs
****Task: Use Home Designer Pro to draw up stairs and railings

As you can see from the above example, DGT GTD allows Sub-projects (crucial!) and allows me to create a Task attached to either the main project or any sub-project, and the nature of the work rather demands that.

I typically use Contexts for location or person based actions: @10th St can give me a view of actions I want to take only while I'm actually AT 10th St, @Menards (a local big box lumber yard) for actions while there, @Tom for actions I want a helper to take, etc. I believe this is close to how many people use Contexts, and anyway they definitely don't provide a way to create Projects.

I see another Toodledo user posted in the forum with confusion over how to work projects into the mix: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/5/14423/0/suggestions-wanted-for-handling-subtasks-of-projects.html

I think having a Project field (with sub-projects allowed) would have helped him stay on track. As it was, he created a Folder for Projects, but he also had a folder for Actions, in addition to other action related folders (Waiting, Someday). But since Projects always contain Actions (as well as timelines, and even just notes you want to keep) he built a conflict into his system.

I think Toodledo is a big improvement on basic GTD because of the ability to set dates and alarms! DGT GTD is even better that way, because of the flexibility Digitale built into the interface. There I can make alarms persistent or not, set the time delay of the persistency, easily choose from a rich selection of snooze times, and just as important, choose from a rich variety of ways to organize and view the data. And of course it goes with me everywhere in my Android phone. Digitale's app is what brought me to Toodledo because it syncs with Toodledo. But Toodledo gives me the ability to see more information at once (because of the computer interface), and to cut/paste and generally manipulate my data easier than on a phone.

I'm sure you're aware of Digitale's DGT GTD app. I don't know how much time you've spent working with it, but you should play with it until you know it well. He's definitely onto something, and with most people needing a mobile means of using the GTD concepts, better integration between Toodledo and his app would be a huge plus.

Thank you,
Mike

This message was edited Jan 29, 2015.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the feedback. We will consider it.
baldusyegge

Thank you (and you may delete this after reading if you like).

Mike
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.