ForumsDevelopersImport Issues with toodledo xml format (moving from MLO)

Import Issues with toodledo xml format (moving from MLO)
CPT

Posted: Aug 04, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi, I use MLO (My Life Organized) and I am considering moving to Toodledo. Since I have more than 250 Tasks and around 60 projects, I developped some XSL transformation that tranforms my MLO XML export to the Toodledoo import/export format, and it works... almost.

I still have following issues for my tasks to be well migrated from MLO to toodledo:

1) tasks names including a & (ampersand) are truncated during import. For example :

<title>R&D this does not work </title>
<context>Someday/Maybe</context>

gets imported as a "R" task (everything following the & gets truncated during the import).
As a a result I have ~60 R tasks (all my R&D stuff in fact)

2) I can't figure how to import a subtask/task hierarchy.

I figured out it should work with a construct like this

<parent>25765393</parent>
<title>a subtask</title>

But I believe it does only work if the ids were generated by toodledo. Which means I am stuck since I want to perform a migration of tasks that do not already have their toodledo Id.

Can someone give me a hint of whether creating a task/subtask hierarchy is possible from a toodledo "from scratch" xml import ?

Hope this makes senss to anybody..
Anders

Posted: Aug 04, 2009
I'm pretty sure #1 is a bug with the import tool that Toodledo is aware of. I can't help you with #2.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 05, 2009
The & character is a special character that is now allowed in well formed XML documents. If you create a task on Toodledo with an & and then export it, you will see that it is encoded as "&" which you will need to do also, or replace it with the word "and" or some other non-special symbol.

As far as subtasks go, you can create your own id numbers. The only requirement is that the parent task must occur above any of its subtasks inside the file.
CPT

#1, In fact, the formating of the forum does not show what I really wrote. In the xml code, I use the XML entity shortcut for & (ie "& amp ;"). That makes it a well formed XML document. And the problem I have is with this well formed XML. Import does truncate all the text in the tile after the & amp ; entity.

#2 Can you also use strings as ids ? The XSLT Function I use (generate-id(..)) does generate ids like

idTaskNode_2_39
<parent>idTaskNode_2_9</parent>

Is this supposed to work as well ?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You can test it, but I doubt that it will work. We tested it with integers only.

I'll check on the & bug. In the meantime, if you replace all & symbols with "and" it will import.
CPT

Posted: Aug 07, 2009
Yes, you're right it works only with integers. Let me know for the & bug. In the meantime, I'll work around.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.