ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsIntegration with Evernote?

Integration with Evernote?
romero

Posted: Apr 08, 2009
Score: 2 Reference
I've considered (fantasized about) integration of Toodledo with something like Evernote to keep richer information with tasks than I currently can in task notes... has anyone else looked at an idea like this?
Anders

Posted: Apr 08, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I looked at it, and said "That would be spectacular!" Then I remembered that I have no knowledge of programming whatsoever.

I was only thinking of it in terms of the Toodledo Notebook, and hadn't really considered how great it would be, for instance, if I could find something on the web that immediately required a new task, and just clip it to evernote and have it sent to Toodledo with the clipping as a note.

I have suggested to Toodledo that they should consider adding image support, etc. to task notes. I would be interested to know what were your ideas for synchronizing with Evernote are.

Edit: I had thought you were considering creating some kind of integration software, but I just read your post again and I am now wondering if you were simply asking how others currently work with the two programs. I use them both frequently, but they are like separate universes.

This message was edited Apr 08, 2009.
thpope

Posted: Apr 17, 2009
I know you can put check off boxes in Evernote. One might be able to use links in both to have a pseudo-integration.
saskia.x

Posted: May 06, 2009
Score: 2 Reference
Hi, I don't know if this will be of use to you, but I wrote a little AutoHotKey script that lets me select any text and send it to Evernote as a search term. This lets me create pseudo-links to things in EN.

So if you want to link a task to something in EN you simply put the appropriate search term (e.g. the note or tag name, or anything else EN lets you search for) in the task notes or title (I usually use the format "EN[search_term]", but you can format it however you like). When you want to follow the link, you select the text and press the hotkey to send the text to Evernote. I have to admit, though, that I haven't written many AHK scripts, so I can't promise it'll work perfectly for everyone (although I can say with almost 100% certainty that it shouldn't do any damage). Occasionally I've noticed it doesn't seem to actually copy the selected text, but pressing "ctrl+c" seems to trigger the rest of the script to finish (if anyone more experienced with AHK cares to have a look and work out why this might be it'd be much appreciated!). I've also found that if any AHK script mysteriously stops working properly you can generally get it going again by exiting and then relaunching the script.

You need to install AutoHotKey to make this work (something I'd recommend anyway as it's a handy little app and takes very little memory). I have set the hotkeys to be either ctrl+shift+F6 or LeftMouseButton+F6 (F6 is the shortcut used in EN to jump to the search box, so it seemed appropriate; the choice of the mouse button or ctrl+shift was intended to make it even more effortless since you don't need to remove one of your hands from whatever you've just used to select the text). If you want to change the shortcut keys, you need to edit the part that says "~LButton & F6" or "^+F6" (make sure you leave the "::" in after the hotkey, though). Consult the AHK documentation if you're not sure how to do this. I have a more detailed version of this script which I have posted at http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7161&p=38397#p38392 if anyone's interested.

Create a new text file and paste the following text into it, then save under whatever name makes sense to you, ensuring that you give it an ".ahk" extension.

;*********************************************
;search EN for selected string - mouse version
~LButton & F6:: ;hotkey - hold down left mouse button & press F6
clipboard = ;Empty the clipboard
sleep 100
Send ^c
sleep 50
ClipWait ;Wait for the clipboard to contain text.
WinActivate, Evernote ahk_class ENMainFrameWindow ;activate EN window
Send {F6}
Send ^v
Send {Enter}
return

;***********************************************
;search EN for selected string - keyboard version
^+F6:: ;hotkey - ctrl+shift+F6
clipboard = ;Empty the clipboard
sleep 100
Send ^c
sleep 50
ClipWait ;Wait for the clipboard to contain text.
WinActivate, Evernote ahk_class ENMainFrameWindow ;activate EN window
Send {F6}
Send ^v
Send {Enter}
return
saskia.x

Posted by Anders:
if I could find something on the web that immediately required a new task, and just clip it to evernote and have it sent to Toodledo with the clipping as a note.

My next project for this script is to add a hotkey that allows you to do something like this (but probably with one of my "pseudo-links" in the note rather than the actual clipping). I'll post it here when it's done (although I can't promise when that will be as I don't have a lot of time at the moment; I'm not really supposed to be on this forum right now!)
Anders

Very cool. Thank you for posting the scripts, and the tip on AutoHotKey. Without knowing it, you have answered my question from this thread as well: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1856/-8541/notebook-html-editor.html
I will be checking this out very soon. You next project for this sounds great as well. Take your time though. I will keep a look out for updates. It would be nice if we could subscribe to threads here, or use PMs.

Thanks,
Anders
romero

Posted: Jul 23, 2009
Posted by saskia.x:
Hi, I don't know if this will be of use to you, but I wrote a little AutoHotKey script that lets me select any text and send it to Evernote as a search term. This lets me create pseudo-links to things in EN.

It hits me that with Greasemonkey you could probably modify the page on the fly to include links to Evernote items or something like that. It would be better than nothing... I just look at this app as being almost something I could "live in all day" but not quite.
javierplumey

Posted: Dec 21, 2009
Posted by romero:
Posted by saskia.x:
It hits me that with Greasemonkey you could probably modify the page on the fly to include links to Evernote items or something like that. It would be better than nothing... I just look at this app as being almost something I could "live in all day" but not quite.

Very interesting idea. I currently put the Evernote note link in the Notes field but it would be nice to pull this together in the browser. Still, the idea solution would be to allow to SYNC the note contents to Evernote.
Peter

Posted: Dec 23, 2009
I'm thinking about writing a desktop client for ToodleDo for either Mac or Windows or both, and the idea of directly integrating Evernote also came to me. There is no reason it couldn't be done in a nice way on the desktop since both services have APIs. I haven't explored the Evernote API in detail, but Mac applications like Curio already have some form of integration with Evernote. See this thread (there is a survey that I started to gauge interest in a desktop app):

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/4261/0/whats-the-interest-in-a-full-desktop-client-for-toodledo.htm l
Peter

Peter

borked again...sorry :/ not sure what's wrong

just head to the top level and look for the "What's the interest in a full desktop client for toodledo" post
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.