ForumsThird-Party Applications2day (windows client) review

2day (windows client) review
Simon

Posted: Jan 20, 2016
Score: 2 Reference
Hi all,

We're currently suffering a tragic dearth of good windows clients for Toodledo. TaskUnifier is becoming annoying and unreliable without maintenance, Desktop ToDo is missing features and the author has told me in email that he's not working on it for now... I don't use a desktop client when at my desk, because I have the website, but when travelling I need something that will sync and let me use my task list off-line. I saw the author of 2Day mention it on here a while back, so I thought I'd try it out. Here are my first impressions.

* It's a to-do list app that happens to sync to ToodleDo (as well as its own cloud service and a few other things), rather than a dedicated ToodleDo client. This is explains a couple of the big disadvantages below.

+ It's pretty, if you like tiles for your tasks. The scroll bar is tiny and hard to click on, but that's probably a problem with the styling of Win10 "Modern" apps rather than a choice by the developer. Seeing as this is presumably a touch-enabled app, I tried using the mouse to "fling" the screen to scroll it, but that didn't work.

+ Sync with Toodledo seems to work well, but it requires your Toodledo username and password, rather than using OAuth. This is poor practice. All of my folders and contexts appeared in the app straight away. There are various options for sync, including background sync when the app is not running[1], and immediate sync when you make a change on the client. I haven't used it enough to comment on how robust the sync is, but no reason to doubt is so far.

+ "Smart views" are a pretty good analogy to Saved Searches, with a lot of the same features. They're done client-side, and won't sync with your saved searches, but can be made to do much of the same stuff. Unless your saved searches rely on something they don't know about, such as...

- It doesn't know about Importance. Perhaps reasonable, since this is a ToodleDo-specific thing. I'm back to having to sort by priority and due date.

- The big problem: IT DOESN'T DO SUBTASKS.

Hope that helps. If the developer sees this, I'd love to hear any comment on his future plans. I'm on the 30 day trial at present, and unsure whether I'll buy the app at the end of that, or go back to Desktop ToDo (which also doesn't do Importance, and also has some strange behaviour re future tasks, but does at least do subtasks).

[1] Or at least, when it's not on the screen. When an app is "running" is a nebulous concept with Win10 Modern apps.
joelhfx

Posted: Jan 25, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
toodledo on windows 10 tablets is not very good. I agree with your review.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.