ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsComparison of iPhone / iPad ToodleDo Apps

Comparison of iPhone / iPad ToodleDo Apps
Linh

Posted: Apr 26, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Hi all, can you weigh in on your Toodledo syncing apps? I'm looking for one to fit my needs; I've been using Toodledo app solely, but am intrigued by others, such as Taska and 2Do, and am open to a change.

So to start off, here's my own evaluation:

Toodledo App Pros
- 1st party app with best knowledge for implementing Toodledo-website features (e.g. subtasks)
- support for GTD
- universal binary that runs on both iPhone and iPad
- clean, simple interface containing powerful customization
- overall very functional

Cons
- interface not engaging and aesthetically pleasing
- not free, but still affordable
- lacks notebook feature (which is ok in my book...don't want to tap too many times just to get to my to do list)
- iPad interface not making use of the larger screen size

For me, I'm looking for an app that makes full use of the Toodledo website features and one that makes good use of form + function. Toodledo's app scores on the first point, but interface is not nice. 2Do's interface is nice, but lacks full GTD support (lacks context), which won't do for me. Taska claims full GTD support, but seems buggy and risky this early in development; I question whether they are fully committed to developing their app over its lifetime (since they had another app that they abandoned, but continue to sell).

Toodledo's app just isn't fun to use anymore knowing there are apps with thoughtful UI such as 2Do out there. But I'm still sticking with it for now since fuction is still priority.
Dave

Pocket Informant is working on an Ipad version that is supposed to be out pretty soon. Not sure if Todo is working on a version for the Ipad.
marphod

I use Appigo's Todo application. Appigo says it works on the iPad, and I can't imagine why it wouldn't -- they may be working on an iPad specific version, but I have no information on that.

I bought it, as I mis-understood the documentation and thought it would work with the free version of RTM. I was wrong.

I never used the Toodledo app, so I can't really compare.

Deficiencies:
It does not have the ability to specify an arbitrary sort order. Sort is always descending, and you can choose between "alphabetical", "priority, due date," and "due date, priority".

It does not have the "importance" concept.

It doesn't have every field that toodledo does -- it does not have start time/date, a timer, length, or goal.

It doesn't have custom alarms, and the timing options for alarms are somewhat restrictive.

It doesn't sync defaults.

It doesn't do sub-folders (but neither does Toodledo).

Adds above Toodledo:
It can do subtasks by default, without a pro account. I'm not sure how well Toodledo and todo play together when using this.
It can do checklists (tasks with specific sub-items; good for like a shopping list where sub-tasks might do, but are overkill).
It has, IMO, a much cleaner interface (compared to the Toodledo website).
PeterW 

Posted by marphod:
Deficiencies:
It does not have the ability to specify an arbitrary sort order. Sort is always descending, and you can choose between "alphabetical", "priority, due date," and "due date, priority".

Hi marphod,

You *can* sort arbitrarily in Appigo Todo. Within any list, tap the button just to the right of the list name at the top. The icon is three horizontal bars. This will make all list items have the same icon on the right hand side. Simply drag the task using this icon and drop it where you like.

Note that this arbitrary sort order in Todo won't be reflected on the Toodledo website.

@Linh - Appigo Todo handles projects (i.e. tasks with subtasks) more elegantly at least in my opinon. In Toodledo when you open a parent task it opens just like any other task, displaying all the fields. To look at subtasks you must scroll to the bottom of the page and tap the subtasks button. In Todo when you tap on a parent task (project) it immediately opens the list of sub-tasks with the parent at the top. You can then edit either the parent or any of the subtasks with one tap.
marphod

Posted by PeterW:

You *can* sort arbitrarily in Appigo Todo. Within any list, tap the button just to the right of the list name at the top. The icon is three horizontal bars. This will make all list items have the same icon on the right hand side. Simply drag the task using this icon and drop it where you like.

That's not really a sort.

Ignoring a technical definition of what is a sort and what isn't, I want the ability to "sort by due date, context, then priority" , and have the ordering keep up when I add a new task, rather than needing to re-order.
PeterW 

Apologies - I understood you to be asking for a manual sort.
Claudio

Posted: Apr 27, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
The Toodledo iPhone supports quite a few Toodledo features that Todo does not. The Todo app has some nice features that are missing in Toodledo.

Features in the Toodledo app that are not in Appigo Todo:
Length, Goal, Start Date.
Choose which fields to display, and the order of the fields
Views based on Due Date, Priorities, Tags, Status, and Recent. (I often use the Recent list to find recently added tasks.)
The same terminology as the Web app for Folders, Hotlist, and No Folder, which are called Lists, Focus, and Inbox in Todo.
Priorities are the same as Web app (Top, High, Medium, Low, Negative), compared to High, Med, Low in Todo.
Due Date has options: Due by, Due On, Due After, Optionally On
Can hide or show Negative Priority, Future Tasks, Deferred Tasks
Automatic sync is faster and less intrusive than Todo.
Easier way to sort tasks.
Automatic sync on edit. (Important feature if you're using Push notifications.)
Can set reminder for individual tasks.

Features in Appigo Todo that are not in the Toodledo app:
Ability to link a task to a Contact and automatically create a task with the Contact's name, and then call, email or SMS from the task, or go to the address in Google Maps, or go to a Website.
Subtasks are shown indented below the Parent task.
Can manually change the order of tasks in a list.
Can copy from Todo to Notebook and vice versa.
Can display Completed tasks as Strikeout (with many choices for displaying Strikeout).
Choices on how long to display Completed tasks, from one day to one year, or All.
Choice of which Lists (Folders) to display. (Useful if you use different Folders for Tasks and Notebook.)
A Checklist for creating simple lists of non-dated items.
Transisto

Score: 1 Reference
Appigo Todo allow edit to be made to multiple tasks at once.
One of it's biggest strength I could say.

Thanks Claudio for this thorough comparison.
marphod

Posted by Claudio:

Priorities are the same as Web app (Top, High, Medium, Low, Negative), compared to High, Med, Low in Todo.

To be fair, Todo has High, Med, Low, and None. Similar idea to negative, but not the same.
j2020

Posted: May 11, 2010
On more nice feature that Appigo Todo has and Toodledo doesn't is logical handling of Subtasks. For example, it will automatically update the due date of a parent task to be the same as the next child task due date. This allows you to actually use subtasks for project management, and also keeps subtask lists from always having to be expanded and cluttering up your interface.
fnurl

Posted: May 18, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
Hi, I have just begun my exploration of Toodledo and wheather or not I should switch to it from Things or not. I am on a Mac and have used Omnifocus, Things and THL. My last switch was from THL to Omnifocus and then to Things. I used Omnifocus and Things both on my laptop and on my iPhone.

The feature set that Toodledo offers is like a mix between all the above mentioned apps + some more. It has the grid view of Omnifocus, the flatness of Things, and the tags and priorities of THL. I like this ALOT. However, all above mentioned apps have a far better user experience than Toodledo.

On to the apps:

I have tried:

* Taska
* ToDo
* Action Lists
* Pocket Informant
* Toodledo

Taska
Taska looks the nicest and implements the Next status. It diverges from ToodleDo in that it has "Projects" which are not mapped to folders, but to folderless -1 priority tasks that can have subtasks. If such a task is in a folder, it is not a project according to Taska. Taska also has a checklist list type which is not the same as ToDo's implementation. In fact, I can find the checklist task, but I cannot find the data (items) in the checklist.

Taska also has a list it calls "Action" which seems like Things' Today list. This status does not seem to be synced with Toodledo. The same thing goes for tasks in the "Someday" list. These tasks do not exist in Toodledo.

ToDo
Claudio already posted a great overview of the ToDo app, so I won't go into details, but ToDo does less hackish things than Taska. ToDo does one hackish thing - checklists. A checklist is a task with the note "---- Task Type: Checklist ----
---- End Task Type ----". Subtasks appear as checklist items in ToDo.

ActionLists
Has 5 statuses which have a tab of their own: "Inbox", "Action Lists", "Projects" "Waiting" and "Someday".

Inbox maps to tasks that do not have the status "next action", "waiting" or "someday". Action Lists maps to "next action", "waiting" to waiting, and "someday" to "someday".

Projects are folders and a task can be in the inbox and in a project list at the same time which is a bit strange.

Pocket Informant
Have not looked at alot here, but PI calls folders Projects, supports priorities, all statuses, but not sub-tasks. The task management UI however is ugly.

Conclusion
I think I will end up using ToDo, my wishlist to Appigo is that the status field gets implemented.

If it is one thing that I have learned during my years of task app hunting, it is that there are very many frameworks for what properties a task has (priority, status, parent folder/project, context, tags, due date, start date, scheduled date etc) and beyond the notion of "a task can be done or not done", no two apps have the same feature set.

Developers can GTD here and there, and they can do so and still have different feature sets since GTD is a method, not a data structure specification.

Anyway, if there are apps not mentioned in this thread already, please comment and add them so I can try them as well ;)
fnurl

Posted: May 18, 2010
... I just tried Ultimate Todos and it would have been perfect if not for the lack of support for subtasks.
fnurl

Posted: May 19, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
I felt I needed more overview, so here is a google spreadsheet listing toodledo compatibility.

http://bit.ly/cYz1Qt

Please note that the information in the sheet only shows which Toodledo features are implemented in the app. What is left out is:

* how the feature is implemented (e.g. subtasks, statuses)
* what the app has that Toodledo does _not_ have.

Many of the apps have extra features. E.g. ToDo has task types, i.e. call, etc. I have also not been able to fill in info for 2Do since it crashes on my OS 4.0 Beta 3 phone.

However, as you can see, no app implements the full feature list of Toodledo. Many come close though. Which client you like will ultimately depend on which of the features you "need" and which user experience you prefer. Pocket Informant e.g. implements almost all features. One of the non-implemented ones is however the subtask feature which might make it unusable for some.

This message was edited May 19, 2010.
Dave

According to Pocket Informant's blog they submitted a new version on last Friday and I believe it has subtasks and templates in it.
fnurl

Posted by Dave:
According to Pocket Informant's blog they submitted a new version on last Friday and I believe it has subtasks and templates in it.

Sounds great!
fnurl

Updated with Task PRO. Worst sync ever: has two sync buttons. One for importing changes from Toodledo and one for exporting changes from Task PRO to Toodledo.

Also, Task PRO has internal subtasks, but they do not map to Toodledo subtasks. Do not waste your money on this one.'

Dave

Posted: May 20, 2010
Just saw the Pocket Informant update came out with subtasks and templates.
Scott

Posted: May 24, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Using the Toodledo iPad app, why do completed items remain visible? is there a way to hide them like the online version?

I did see I can purge them - but that will delete them all permanently.

Am I missing a setting that will hide these???

Thanks!
Claudio

Posted: May 24, 2010
Scott, from any list of tasks, tap on "Hidden Tasks" at the top left. Then in "Completed Tasks" click Hide.
j.f.solem

Posted: Jun 01, 2010
Posted by fnurl:
I felt I needed more overview, so here is a google spreadsheet listing toodledo compatibility.

Please note that the information in the sheet only shows which Toodledo features are implemented in the app.

You indicate that the Toodledo iPhone app supports the Timer field / functionality. If it does, I'm not able to find it...:-(

BTW, I'm using Ultimate Todos (best so far) but have also bought the official Toodledo app (good) and Appigo's Todo (useless for me, as I need the Status field - waste of money)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.