ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by sandro.krumbein"
sandro.krumbein

Posted May 10, 2011 in: Import CSV to Excel
Score: 0
I liked that idea...

But I have checked that again and it's still the same issue. Doesn't recognize what is in quotation marks as one column

Thank you!

Sandro
sandro.krumbein

Posted May 10, 2011 in: Import CSV to Excel
Hey guys and thanks for your replies!

True, by definition, you are doing it right and Microsoft is wrong. I know I can change the separator to a comma during the import process. But Excel ignores the quotation marks around the values of the columns and then tries to separate those, that contain commas, into columns as well

For the same reason the replace wouldn't work either. The semicolons would be considered separators as well and Excel would try to split the text into columns

The actual problem is, that Excel ignores the quoation marks, I guess...

Sandro
sandro.krumbein

Posted May 09, 2011 in: Import CSV to Excel
Hello!

I use the CSV export do get my completed tasks into Excel to analyse them. The problem is that Excel doesn't naturally use a comma as a separator, but rather the semicolon.

Long story short: I have tried all different ways, but when I have a task, that contains a multiline note, it gets all messed up, because Excel seems to ignore the quotation marks. My current workaround is to convert the CSV file to an XLS file via zamzar.com and use that one

Could it maybe implemented to actually export as a CSV file with ;-separated columns?

Or does anyone know the trick to make Excel do what I want it to do?

Or does anyone at least know of a freeware CSV-2-ExcelCSV or CSV-2-XLS converter I could use?

Thank you very much!

Sandro
sandro.krumbein

Posted Mar 09, 2011 in: POST to API via cURL
Okay, this is what the cURL website says about the -d option:
Sends the specified data in a POST request to the HTTP server, in the same way that a browser does when a user has filled in an HTML form and presses the submit button. This will cause curl to pass the data to the server using the content-type application/x-www-form-urlencoded

Sounds reasonable to me. Or does the API insist on the application/json content-type?

I have tried leaving the message un-encoded and using the --data-urlencoded option, which is supposed to encode it itself, but to no avail either

curl http://api.toodledo.com/2/tasks/edit.php?key=myKey;f=xml --data-urlencode tasks=[{"id":"4384388","title":"Task 1 changed"}]

But maybe we can shortcut this discussion: what I am trying to do is to change the completed date of some of my tasks, which I forgot to tick off on the right day (a well known problem I guess). If you now tell me, that this isn't even possible via the API, then it's all pointless :-)

If it is possible, I still want to find a way to do it. I don't insist on cURL. I might try libCURL via C# then or something...

Thanks,
Sandro
sandro.krumbein

Posted Mar 05, 2011 in: POST to API via cURL
Alright, despite believing to have done this before I checked this again. The task I used back then has already been deleted, but with the task #4384394 I have the same problem. Here is the entire output (almost) straight from the command line window. First retrieving details of the task and then trying to edit it

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Curl + Toodledo>curl http://api.toodledo.com/2/tasks/get.php?key=myKey;fields=folder,star,priority;f=xml;id=4384394
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><tasks num='1' total='1'><task>4384394<title>Task 4</title><modified>1299318739</modified><completed>0</completed><folder>275306< /folder><priority>0</priority><star>0</star></task></tasks>
C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Curl + Toodledo>curl http://api.toodledo.com/2/tasks/edit.php?key=myKey;f=xml -d tasks=[{"id"%3A"4384394"%2C"title"%3A"Test task 2"}]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><tasks><error id='7'>Invalid task ID</error></tasks>

So, yeah I believe it is there :-)

This message was edited Mar 05, 2011.
sandro.krumbein

Posted Mar 03, 2011 in: POST to API via cURL
Hello,

I am trying to do a simple update of tasks by using cURL. I have come to the point that I can retrieve tasks, but now I want to edit them by doing a post

Here is my line of code from the windows commandline:
>curl http://api.toodledo.com/2/tasks/edit.php?key=myKey;f=xml -d tasks=[{"id"%3A"3917814"%2C"title"%3A"Test task 2"}]

And this is the answer:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><tasks><error id='7'>Invalid task ID</error></tasks>

It seems that I am not completely off, but can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks,
Sandro
sandro.krumbein

Posted Feb 22, 2011 in: iCal Import / CSV export
Another update:
Have you guys at ToodleDo changed anything? Now that I did it at home Excel 2007 still couldn't handle it right, but the import of the ICS file from RTM to ToodleDo even got the estimates and tags right. That didn't work yesterday

Now it's pretty much all good

Thx,
Sandro
sandro.krumbein

Found another way, haven't tried Excel 2007, yet. Google Docs seems more capable at handling these things. Even got the Umlaute right.

HowTo: open a spreadsheet there, then File/Import...,
Pick the csv file from harddrive, choose create new spreadsheet. If the right delimiter isn't automatically detected, pick it at the bottom. Click import and then a link appears by which you can open it. This online spreadsheet is then downloadable to the harddrive as an Excel file. Done

Best,
Sandro
sandro.krumbein

Thx for the answer

2) That's a good hint. Did some research and found exactly what you said. It should work. But I have tried every conceivable way on Excel 2003 now and have found now way to do it, though. I'll try again on Excel 2007 at home

1) I guess I will import the tasks from RTM then, export them to CSV (hopefully), do some Excel formula magic to separate the entries in the notes to filter out the estimates and tags and then reimport it to ToodleDo

Best,
Sandro
sandro.krumbein

Posted Feb 21, 2011 in: iCal Import / CSV export
Hello,

I also am considering the switch from Remember The Milk. I have a few problems though

1. When importing the ical file from my RTM account, the tags don't show up properly. They are only stored in the description of the tasks. Same with the locations. Does anyone know how to work around this? I guess the iCal format doesn't support tags? The same with the estimated length of the task. Also only available in the description. So the question is how to import the tasks and loose as little info as possible and also how to have as little as possible manual work to do for the transition?

2. When exporting my tasks to a CSV file I have two problems. The first is that my notes might contain commas, which will lead to incorrect recognition of columns by excel. The other is that the notes might contain line breaks, either incorrectly or correctly. For the first I would suggest to give the user the option to choose their own separation characters. For the latter, I can at the moment only come up with letting the user select which columns he wants to export

Thanks,
Sandro

This message was edited Feb 21, 2011.
Skip to Page:  1   2