ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by David"
David

Posted Nov 25, 2009 in: Seriously, How About That Design?
Score: 0
  • David
  • Posted: Nov 25, 2009
  • Score: 0
I get the part about functionality, Franck, as a component of design, and I'm all for it. Your idea for putting folders vertically is a great example (and a great idea). Being able to use colors for different contexts is another example of adding not ONLY visual interest but usability.

I'm on board.
David

Posted Nov 24, 2009 in: Seriously, How About That Design?
  • David
  • Posted: Nov 24, 2009
Okay, I can see how good design can improve functionality and save time. For example, in one of the posts, Proximo said, "My biggest complaint on the GUI for Toodledo is how everything is laid out like a spreadsheet, rather than an application. Add any function to Toodledo and it get's a new column." This makes sense. I've been frustrated with this "feature" as well.

I can also see how improving the look and feel of the UI would attract more users. Proximo's idea of templates makes sense from both a usability and a "sales" standpoint.

For me, function is far more important than appearance; given my understanding of the developer's limited resources, I'm willing to wait for the latter to catch up with the former. On the other hand, I've only been using TD for a few months. Check back with me next year.

This message was edited Nov 24, 2009.
David

Posted Nov 24, 2009 in: Seriously, How About That Design?
  • David
  • Posted: Nov 24, 2009
Vin, why is this important? Wouldn't you rather have as a priority some of the updated features that have been requested? Or am I missing the point--is there some improved functionality that an enhanced UI would impart?

For me, "cool looking" would be "cool" but it's not important. Nice to have, but not only can I live without it, I spend no time whatsoever even thinking about it. But then I don't have your passion for design :)
David

Posted Nov 23, 2009 in: Difference Between Folders and Contexts
Score: 2
  • David
  • Posted: Nov 23, 2009
  • Score: 2
Hi DC,

Welcome to TD and this forum.

You can create folders and contexts and they are independent. One does not depend on (or create) the other.

Contexts are generally used the way you've set them up, to reflect the different places you might be (or different tools you might use). For example, you might want to have a context of "Calls" so that when you are in that frame of mind, you can have your call list in front of you. Common contexts are Work, Home, Errands, and Agendas for meetings with certain individuals.

Folders are simply another way to organize your life or areas of focus. Many of us are using folders to organize our life using the Getting Things Done system articulated by David Allen in his book of that name. I have folders for Actions (Single-actions I have identified to do), Projects (Multi-step actions), Waiting (items I have delegated or am waiting for a response), Someday/Maybe, Tickler (items I want to be reminded of but which aren't necessarily "due" on a given date), and Lists (checklists, info I often need to access).

Read some of the other forum topics for ideas, especially the ones on Getting Things Done and Time Management.

Once again, welcome, (from a recovering attorney)!

David
David

Posted Nov 19, 2009 in: Due Date Reminders on iphone
  • David
  • Posted: Nov 19, 2009
How about being able to set a reminder for Start date, too? Then we wouldn't have to enter a Due date when there really isn't one. It would also eliminate the need for an additional "Tickler" folder or context.

I was thinking about this yesterday, in fact. I use Start date now mainly to hide future tasks via filters or as ticklers to review something that may or may not have a hard due date, and I thought it would be great to have the option to rename Start Date as "Reminder Date" or "Tickler" or "Review".
David

Posted Nov 17, 2009 in: Iphone app & Notebook feature
  • David
  • Posted: Nov 17, 2009
There's a new iphone app that syncs w/ OneNote--MobileNoter. Right now, it's read-only and there's a small subscription price but it looks promising.

For quick notes (text only) on iphone I use SimpleNote (http://simplenoteapp.com/) which syncs with their free web site. I also cut/paste notes into the web site to take with me on the iphone.

I've looked at evernote and can see their advantages. I like the idea of online sync/storage/access but most of my written/web work is done @home.
David

Posted Nov 16, 2009 in: Iphone app & Notebook feature
  • David
  • Posted: Nov 16, 2009
Posted by Proximo:
meh

I use Evernote for all my notes so I don't really use the Notebook function.

I also use Evernote for all my Reference material.

I would rather have Toodledo integrate with Evernote and instead of trying to build something on their own.

just my $.02

Same for me only I use OneNote. . .
David

• David
  • Posted: Nov 11, 2009
Peter, change your filter settings--click "show recently completed" tasks and you'll see the ones you have completed.

David
David

• David
  • Posted: Nov 08, 2009
Posted by reckoner:
How can you tell how many times a task has been postponed? I would like to create something like an automatic escalation, which would increase the priority of the task if it has been postponed a certain number of times.

Thanks!

Ooh, good one!
David

Posted Oct 30, 2009 in: Finally got my iPhone and Toodleo App.
  • David
  • Posted: Oct 30, 2009
Posted by Proximo:

Wish me luck and be prepared for questions. :-)

By tonight, we'll be asking YOU questions!
David

• David
  • Posted: Oct 26, 2009
Here's an idea: cut and paste the text into an email and send it your TD account (see Import/Export/Sync and look for email configuration). It will arrive in your "No Folder" with the subject of the emails as the task and the body of the email in your notes.

Of course you can always just cut and paste the text into the task notes, but this lets you set up tasks on the fly.

David
David

Posted Oct 20, 2009 in: A Few Good Books
  • David
  • Posted: Oct 20, 2009
Three recommendations:

** "The 80/20 Principle" by Richard Koch. Detailed exposition of the principle and how it can dramatically improve your effectiveness.

** "The One Thing You Need to Know" by Marcus Buckingham. The keys to success as a manager, a leader, and in your personal achievement.

** "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" by Covey.
Skip to Page:  1   2