ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by proactive"
proactive

Score: 1
I disagree as the priority field does not do the trick.

Priority has least two elements: importance and urgency. They are two separate concepts. I'm a big believer in the Charles Hobbs model for time management (whose ideas were used by Covey (interestingly they were both from Utah)).

The Hobbs model says for each item to be done you give a letter to signify importance; e.g. A = High, B = Medium, C = Low, D = Very Low (and I added R = Reference); and a number to signify order to be done or urgency, with 1 = Urgent, 2 = Soon, 3 = Later, and 4 = Someday.

If you give each TBD those two items, your priority is AUTOMATICALLY set as you should be focusing your time on the most important items, not necessarily the most urgent.

Frankly, one really needs only 4 fields for an good to do program: Importance, Urgency, Description and Due Date (with Due Date just so you don't overlook something).

And to make it an excellent planner, add fields for Role and Goal.

And I would suggest another field for Day, with 1 = today, 2 = tomorrow, 7 = this week, 30 = this month, 90 = this quarter. Note: this is different from the urgency field which is designed to help you prioritize the order of activities that you have already chosen to do today. This "Day" field just helps you look at all the stuff you have listed and lets you sort them for daily, short-term, and long-term planning.

A good planner lets you change the values in these fields easily so that you can properly plan and manage your time and priorities.
proactive

Score: 0
Posted by Adrien Beau:
Posted by proactive:
all that needs to be added to ToodleDo is a simple field for Quadrant. What would that take in programming time? About 5 minutes? It's a database! Just add the field.

With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to "programming time". Adding new data in an application, with all consequences (compatibility, upgrade, API update, application updates, documentation updates, etc.) is very much more than "5 minutes".

Really?

How would there be any compatibly or upgrade or application update issues when we are all logging in through a browser to a database that has native number fields as part of its inherent design.

As for the documentation update, here it is: "Hi folks, we added a new number field so you can assign a number to your sorting criteria. We know that our bias is towards GTD but we thought we would try and accommodate some of the folks that lean towards First Things First and priority matrix for organizing their to do's. Just sort on this field like you sort on all the others. Thanks."
proactive

Score: 2
How sad and silly that we have to engage such workarounds to implement the most important criterion for daily and life planning when all that needs to be added to ToodleDo is a simple field for Quadrant. What would that take in programming time? About 5 minutes? It's a database! Just add the field.
proactive

Posted Jan 19, 2012 in: Feature request: Mission Statement
Would very much like to see fields for one's "Mission Statement" (MS) consistent with the time-management teachings of Charles Hobbs (although he didn't label it as such) and Stephen Covey et al in "First Things First."

While the GTD stuff is good for "what" we have to do, we need to remember the "why" so we can focus on the things we ought to be doing.

So I am requesting that space for a Mission Statement be added to the Goals page. The MS clarifies our vision; goals are the way to achievement; and to-do's are just steps along the way.

To paraphrase others: Goals are the ladder; to-do's are the rungs in the ladder; and the mission statement is the wall. In other words, it makes no sense to climb a ladder propped against the wrong wall.

Thanks.
proactive

Posted by Toodledo:
You could use the tag field for this if you don't already use tags.

Thanks for responding, but please note this comment in the original post: "I want to be able to control the order of my to do's without having to employ a silly work around."

Using tags would be a work around and deprive me of the intended use of tags.

Moreover, I doubt tag fields weighted in the algorithm in such a way as to cause the auto-sort to automatically put a task with tag "1" ahead of one with tag "2." I doubt it because tags were created for "grouping" tasks, not sorting them.

And please understand, toodledo is a great product. I'm just trying to make it even better.

Adding a number field to a database should be relatively easy and gives users an intuitive and fast way to rearrange the order of tasks.

Thanks.
proactive

Score: -1
What I want:

a preference setting that would allow a user to to control the label for priorities.

Why I want it:

to allow for the priority column to be narrower; and to allow a user to better control the look and feel of the task lists. Even abbreviations T H M L N would suffice. (I myself would like to use A B C D.) I think it would be nice however if a user could control what he or she sees as the label.

Additional info:

It shouldn't affect the algorithm because (presumably) the unique identifiers for the 5 records in the priority field are not High, Medium... or 3, 2... but rather some other unique value. Therefore the user would see the label he or she wants, but the database can do its calculations based the value of that field.
proactive

Score: 1
What I want:

a field that contains numbers only.

Why I want it:

I want the next thing I should work on listed first, and the next thing I should work on listed second, and so on. I want to be able to control the order of my to do's without having to employ a silly work around.

Some tasks have the same priority and ranking. But I may want to do one before another. A simple number field could allow a user to better control the order of to do's.

Background:

Charles Hobbs (a leader in time management) suggested the ABC (for priority) and 123 (for order) approach for writing to do lists. A task ranked "A-1" should be done before a task ranked "A-2" or "B-1" etc.

toodledo's algorithm could be modified to include a calculated field that combines priority and number.

This would greatly enhance the user experience.