ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by scrooks"
scrooks

Posted Apr 15, 2009 in: Updates to due dates and start dates
Score: 0
  • scrooks
  • Posted: Apr 15, 2009
  • Score: 0
Should this effect repeating start dates? (There's an entry here in the forum about that, http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1213/0/repeat-using-only-start-date.html) I tested things out with a start date and a repeat of every 2 days, and when I checked it off a due date suddenly showed up (and I'm not sure of the logic for the due date picked).

This message was edited Apr 15, 2009.
scrooks

Posted Jan 14, 2009 in: Repeat using only start date
  • scrooks
  • Posted: Jan 14, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
I see your logic and think that it is a good idea, so I'll add it to our todo list.

You probably have no idea how much that actually excites me. :-)

-- A To-Do List Nerd
scrooks

Posted Jan 14, 2009 in: Repeat using only start date
  • scrooks
  • Posted: Jan 14, 2009
I would be surprised if this hasn't already been requested, but some quick searches didn't turn anything up.

I want to enter tasks that have only a start date and no due date. As an example, I have a task where I check my tire pressure once a month. I would like to set this with a start date, no due date, and have it repeat monthly from checkoff. Why? Because it's not really due any particular time -- that field makes no sense in this case. The other reason is that I don't want to see the task at all until the day it's time to think about doing it again. If I set a ">" due date the task starts showing up a week early and since I have a lot of this kind of thing it really clutters my task list with things I don't really care about. It also messes up the importance levels since due date is a prime factor in that calculation, and as I said these are not items that really have a due date.

(In any case, the behavior of repeating-from-check-off events with no due date is currently pretty screwy in m opinion. A due date gets created when the event is checked off the first time and the start date is bumped forward by the amount of the repeat with the check-off date not taken into account.)

Right now I can get around the problem by setting both a start date and a >due date but that's annoying (and doesn't make sense), particularly when I'm trying to do something fast using the awesome iPhone app.
scrooks

Posted Nov 04, 2008 in: "after" dates show up early?
  • scrooks
  • Posted: Nov 04, 2008
That can't quite be right (or I'm doing something wrong). I have a high priority task that is listed as due ">Nov 07, 2008" and it shows up in my All Tasks, Sorted By Importance, Future Tasks Hidden with an importance level of 6. This is on 11/4, so the task isn't due for 3 days.

If I can get it to work as you say I can _almost_ live with it. It's still not the best for me, though. These ">" and "=" tasks are, in my mind, things I don't want to deal with until the day they are due. If I wanted reminders because I needed to do something, then they would instead be tasks with an earlier start date (because I can start them early) and a standard due date. Does that make sense? The way you say it should behave (and certainly the way it is behaving for me right now) is contrary to the meaning of ">" and "=".

I generally live by the All Tasks Sorted By Importance list, and if I have tasks that really can't be done until a later day (marked by ">" or "="), I'll be very confused if they show up early. Especially on the iPhone/Touch app since there's no indication that they're not really due yet. As an example, I have a drug that I take where I alternate the dose daily, with 100mg one day and 112mg the next. That's a task that should not show up early on my task list.

As I said, I've sort of gotten around the problem by using start dates, but it sort of makes the ">" and "=" markers pointless. I think the biggest problem I see is that the behavior you talk about where they show up a day early "in case you want to do something" really indicates a task that should have a start date and due date one day apart because you can start on it earlier than when it's due.

This message was edited Nov 04, 2008.
scrooks

Posted Nov 02, 2008 in: "after" dates show up early?
  • scrooks
  • Posted: Nov 02, 2008
If I set a due date like ">11/3/08", why does the task show up in my "All Tasks, by importance, filter out future tasks" list? That doesn't make sense to me since I said that task was "due on or after 11/3/08", right? I've been kludging this for a while by adding a start date, but it seems like that shouldn't be necessary. (And there's a bug in the iPhone app that seems to get start & due dates messed up somehow. I haven't tracked down the exact circumstances yet to reproduce it, but it happens frequently to me with the latest version. But that's for a different forum entry....)