ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by MelodyB_2"
MelodyB_2

Posted Mar 27, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 0
Posted by MelodyB_2:
Posted by Purveyor:
Posted by MelodyB_2:
I'm sad to leave Toodledoo. I have looked at other things. But I really do need control over my private life and I don't need a kanban board or anything like that. I just need a nice little thing with multi-level tasks and decent printability.
Which alternative did you find?

I haven't yet. I may actually end up going paper. I'm trying to get my mom more organized with all the stuff she needs to track so I can more easily take over for her in the probably-not-too-distant future (she's 85). If I just start with paper, I get everything I want - hierarchical task lists and reasonable printing (though at the cost of hand-entry).

Actually, I did have one I used to use "My Life Organized". Overall, I really liked it. It has a desktop app and a mobile app and some sort of cloud-syncing ability. The last bit is essential for having one's information portable electronically. I'm a little funny about what countries my information might travel through which is why I don't use it myself.
MelodyB_2

Posted Mar 27, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Posted by Purveyor:
Posted by MelodyB_2:
I'm sad to leave Toodledoo. I have looked at other things. But I really do need control over my private life and I don't need a kanban board or anything like that. I just need a nice little thing with multi-level tasks and decent printability.
Which alternative did you find?

I haven't yet. I may actually end up going paper. I'm trying to get my mom more organized with all the stuff she needs to track so I can more easily take over for her in the probably-not-too-distant future (she's 85). If I just start with paper, I get everything I want - hierarchical task lists and reasonable printing (though at the cost of hand-entry).
MelodyB_2

Posted Mar 23, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 1
Many have wondered about management raising prices before rolling out features. I keep wondering if management needed to generate more revenue in order to hire the manpower (or quit their day jobs) to fix things/roll out features.
MelodyB_2

Posted Mar 23, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 2
Yes, this is another "I'm leaving" post. But it's been coming a long time, since before the new management. I've long wanted two things: task hierarchy and printing in a reasonable format. I stuck around because 1) I'm a procrastinator, 2) I go through "cleaning house" phases and wasn't in one yet, and 3) once new management was announced, I'd hoped that might prioritize the things I wanted a little higher.

I'm not leaving due to price changes. I can live with the new prices.

Task hierarchies - it's simple, linked lists. the database side should be pretty simple too. Each task has a parent field that is null or points to its parent. You don't even really have to have each parent know who its children are. When on task 1, do a search for who has task 1 as a parent. Granted, the UI might be a little more complex. But the task view has very few columns, I really don't see the problem with continuing to indent for each subsequent offspring. I write and maintain software with millions of lines of code (not alone, I'm one of a team of 9) and we have linked lists forming an infinite level tree. And if you want to know what multi-level hierarchy can look like, just pull up Windows Explorer and look at the folder tree. It's always annoyed me to hear that it's so hard to do. I could be wrong. The original underlying schema may be what makes it hard. But I've used other software that has multi-levels.

Printing - The notion that printing is and should useless has always annoyed me. I am frequently away from my computer and a phone screen is really small. I want a PIM to manage my private life - a life where I attend my mother's doctors (she has 8) appointments (2 a month) and need to take notes and lookup notes while also looking up stuff online, a life where I have my own memory issues and do actually need reminders of stuff while I'm doing things around my home or at my own doctors (4). Printing stuff and keeping it in a planner is becoming ever more important. I've tried till I'm blue in the face to get my mother more tech savvy but she's 85 and takes several medications which make her mental abilities less sharp. Printing planner type pages for her would be extremely helpful. I need printing and being pfaffed off with some notion that Toodledoo is meant to be so useful in its online form that someone doesn't need to print is quick frankly ludicrous.

But I'd been hopeful and tried to limp along. Being able to keep routines digitally IS very helpful. Trotting out the cookie baking campaign, for instance, each Christmas so my mom can send cookies to her children and grandchildren has been very helpful, especially as I have tweaked it over time to reduce the actual work Mom needs to do. The cookie routine has changed as Mom's physical and mental stamina has dwindled - it has gone from just buying everything and then measuring, mixing, baking, and packing in a marathon weekend session to "hey, Mom, I'll measure everything and then we can mix, bake and pack" to finally "Hey, Mom, I'll pre-mix everything so we need to just bake and then I'll pack and mail later".

What I've liked about Toodledo is accessibility (online from the web, anywhere) and its not kanban or some of the other things out there now.

I Need printing. I Need multi-level tasks. I am tired of faking it with folder and projects and tags.

I hope this post is helpful. Hey, maybe you'll make a cookie routine too, ha ha. If moderators/management want to move it to its own thread, feel free. I won't delete my account today as I hope to remember to come back and answer any questions or comments.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2019.
MelodyB_2

Posted Sep 04, 2018 in: Future Plans
Score: 1
There are a lot of feature requests sprinkled throughout this thread. I wonder how feasible a UserVoice (www.uservoice.com) solution would be to track such things. I've used that system to upvote or request/recommend/suggest features in Microsoft products I use (such as Visual Studio). Just a thought.
MelodyB_2

Posted Sep 04, 2018 in: Future Plans
Posted by karl.berry:
As a lapsed subscriber, it wasn’t the cost that put me off, but that the single additional function that I wanted – subtasks – did not function the way I wanted. I wonder if the developers underestimate the importance of this to a lot of users, as I think it’s key to an effective task management system. I do, however, appreciate that Toodledo doesn’t pretend to be a project management system that would accommodate infinite layers of subtasks and critical pathways, etc.

Some changes I would like to see are:
(1) A greater number (not infinite) of subtask levels
(2) The ability to show them in a list by date or priority order (with an indicator of what parent task it belongs to), mixed with tasks and subtasks from other parent tasks, so that when I’m working on getting tasks done, rather than organising them, I can focus on what needs to be prioritised now.
(3) Flexibility over whether completing all subtasks will automatically mark the parent task as complete.

Subtasks are the number one reason I look at other planning software. I don't use this for my work; I use it in my personal life. I am the keystone/hinge pin person in my family. I am juggling a lot. It is really cumbersome faking hierarchy with projects and folders. I would stop looking if Toodledo had more levels of subtask, especially if implemented with the features Karl has mentioned.