ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Inner Prop"
Inner Prop

Score: 0
I'm looking for a hierarchal way to organize projects. I have the free subscription so I don't have sub-tasks. I'm not sure I want to go to the paid version to get this, especially if there is a good work-around.

I was recently re-listening to some GTD podcasts and realized I need to manage projects better. I don't like the completely separate Projects List because I need to see the connections between tasks and projects. Also, I have big projects anyone would define as a project and projects as David Allen defines as just something that needs more than one task to complete. I don't do GTD really at all, but I do like the idea of universal capture, very small discreet "Next Actions" and I aspire to do a weekly review (but haven't gotten sufficiently disciplined to do that yet).

I've tried putting sub-task-like text in the notes (e.g. Task: Library Subtasks: []Renew online []Return due books []Pick up books on hold). That doesn't let you see the "sub-task" in the list by itself. I also have trouble when I check off a "sub-task" but I can't check off the parent. This is especially troublesome is repeating tasks.

I have tried stacking folders (sort of) by making groups of folders. For instance, I have several personal folders and they all start with PERSONAL (e.g. PERSONAL - Grad School). This is cumbersome and I either need a lot more folders or a lot less.

I've tried to use Outlines. If I have an outline for a task/project I put a "+" at the beginning of the task name (e.g. +Enroll in Grad School). But that's a little too disconnected from the tasks.

Currently, I'm trying the stacked folder and text sub-tasks method, but I'm not satisfied.

I use goals as goals but I've heard people use it for projects. I think I could use it for projects, could someone give a good explanation of how that would work?

Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2018.
Inner Prop

Posted Sep 26, 2018 in: How to handle projects
Posted by 3748ford:
I use "Outline" (Toodledo) for project management.

I make an Outline List/Folder. (Home Restoration, Sewing/Crafts, My Misc Projects, Projects for Hubby).

I list each project in the appropriate list/folder.

Then I list each task as an indented (sub-task). I list everything in order of completion.

In my daily/weekly review. I move next task or "Next Action" on the projects that I am actively working on to my actual task list under a "Next Action" Folder.

Another tip:I use my iPad in tandem when I am doing my review. Make it easier to transpose stuff.

Do you have a paid subscription?

Let me see if I have this right, you make an outline for each project. Then you make a folder that corresponds to each outline (which is also a project). Then you make a task from each subordinate line in the outline. Is that right?
Inner Prop

Posted Oct 26, 2017 in: Work Around for Sub-Folders?
I posted this question in the Tips & Tricks forum before I realized there is a Questions forum. How can I move it to the appropriate forum? Can one of the admins do this, please?

Thanks.
Inner Prop

Posted Oct 26, 2017 in: Export data from Habits
What can I do with the XML? I'm not familiar with this. How do I get it into an actual readable format?
Inner Prop

Posted Oct 25, 2017 in: Work Around for Sub-Folders?
Posted by pawelkaleta:
You can try to use Goals as parent items for your Folders. It has some limitations but works pretty well if you don't have subscription.

I'm not really sure how that would work. Could you give an example, please?

Also, I'm using the goals for goals. I could remove the Short Term ones (they don't seem to be helping much) and just leave the Long Term and Lifetime ones. Of if your system works really well I could use the Long Term ones too (but only if your system requires and the system is very good), but I think I should keep the Lifetime level goals.
Inner Prop

Posted Oct 24, 2017 in: Work Around for Sub-Folders?
I'm looking for a hierarchal way to organize projects. I have the free subscription so I don't have sub-tasks. I'm not sure I want to go to the paid version to get this, especially if there is a good work-around.

I've tried putting sub-task-like text in the notes (e.g. Task: Library Subtasks: []Renew online []Return due books []Pick up books on hold). That doesn't let you see the "sub-task" in the list by itself. I also have trouble when I check off a "sub-task" but I can't check off the parent. This is especially troublesome is repeating tasks.

I have tried stacking folders (sort of) by making groups of folders. For instance, I have several personal folders and they all start with PERSONAL (e.g. PERSONAL - Grad School).

Currently, I'm trying this stacked folder work-around and I'm starting to try to use Outlines. If I have an outline for a task/project I put a "+" at the beginning of the task name (e.g. +Enroll in Grad School).

Any other suggestions?
Inner Prop

Posted Mar 09, 2012 in: Using folders for roles and clients
Score: -1
I've tried folders for roles, but that doesn't allow synergy between roles. I'm going to try tags for roles. I will probably use something like an * before the name to show that they are roles and not just tags (like *Father).