ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by kcren"
kcren

Posted Jul 07, 2018 in: Future Plans
Score: 5
  • kcren
  • Posted: Jul 07, 2018
  • Score: 5
My company does productivity and management training for executives (www.priacta.com).
We've featured and recommended Toodledo as our #1 productivity tool for some time.

In live screen sharing and coaching sessions. I've seen Toodledo through the eyes of clients who love and struggle with it.

I'm also a developer and business owner and understand the need for backward compatibility and profitability.
I have some very specific feedback on what clients love, what we think should improve, and how to make more money from it with little effort.

We love and recommend Toodledo because it is highly customizable.
We configure it for TRO (a GTD++ approach, more productivity, less effort).
If that ever changes so we can't do that, we'd have to move to another tool instead. So the customization has to stay.

If you want to talk, reach out via http://kevincrenshaw.com (orange button at top or form at bottom).

In the meantime, the following are the biggest holdups for our clients:

- Ugly (non-colorful) UI on the iPhone app, no choice of themes.
Many execs would rather struggle with a more stupid but colorful app just because of the appearance!
Go figure. But true. One recent client said, "The user interface is 10 years old!"

- Shortcut keys are inadequate, lack of autocomplete.
Some clients rely heavily on keyboard shortcuts.
Some because of RSI and others for efficiency.
But lack of autocomplete and other problems make it nearly impossible to fill in task details *in a task grid* without using a mouse.
For example, clients struggle to use a keystroke-only approach to setting dates after tabbing to the field.

- And I know how you can make more money on it with almost no effort.
- And we may know how to expand it to a team workflow approach (TRO for teams) with the least effort, so you can start selling to teams like Asana does.

Kevin Crenshaw
Head Coach and Co-Founder
Priacta / Neverboss
www.priacta.com
www.neverboss.com

This message was edited Jul 07, 2018.
kcren

Posted Feb 20, 2013 in: Problems with new Hotlist behavior
Score: 0
  • kcren
  • Posted: Feb 20, 2013
  • Score: 0
(Sorry, this isn't a "bug," couldn't edit that setting.)

Hotlist behavior has changed, and it it causing problems for our clients and us. (Hotlist now suppresses tasks that meet all the Hotlist setup criteria when Start Date has not yet arrived.)

Problems with the new approach as implemented:

1) Hotlist Settings has no way to disable that new Start Date filtering. It doesn't even warn you about it.

2) It assumes a specific meaning for the Start Date field. Part of Toodledo's power is that the user can customize the fields and apply their own interpretations to those fields. But Toodledo now assumes that Start Date means "hide until" in the Hotlist. Not all users want to think of Start Date that way. For example, at least three popular time management approaches uses Start Date as a loose goal date, not a "suppress until" date.

3) #2 creates surprises. Each day we check the hotlist, and one day a hot task pops up that wasn't there the past 3 days. (Omitting Start Dates for those tasks doesn't solve it--it makes those tasks sort poorly in other views.)

4) Surprisingly, Priacta TRO trainees are confused by the repercussions of the new Hotlist (observed in remote desktop training sessions with a coach).

We figured a custom saved search would work just as well. But when we showed the trainees use the saved search, they were confused and more resistant of Toodledo:

a) Two "hotlists" is confusing, especially when the default one is the wrong one.

b) Since sort orders are only saved at the the top level instead of the list level, they are now forced to change the sort order several times a day. The saved searches don't work well if the sort order is wrong. (Before, they rarely changed sort order in the Search area, and they were OK with that.)

Recommendation:
- Provide another option in Hotlist Settings to "Hide tasks from the Hotlist until ____ days before the Start Date." Default is 0.

Is there any hope for something like this?

This message was edited Feb 20, 2013.
kcren

Posted Jan 03, 2013 in: Bug: Saved Search behaving incorrectly
  • kcren
  • Posted: Jan 03, 2013
Argh. Thanks. Should have been "Was in the last 9999 days."
kcren

Posted Jan 02, 2013 in: Bug: Saved Search behaving incorrectly
  • kcren
  • Posted: Jan 02, 2013
Sorry, that's not a correct analysis. We deliberately used OR, but the logic isn't being honored.

Ex: Click the second screencast to see the list of items it returned. One of them was "Create RDN Application". This did not satisfy any of the OR requirements (in the first screencast), but it was returned anyway. Many other tasks are similarly returned. THIS is the problem we are reporting.

Please advise. Should we submit a support ticket instead?
kcren

Posted Dec 29, 2012 in: Bug: Saved Search behaving incorrectly
  • kcren
  • Posted: Dec 29, 2012
See this screen shot of the saved search settings that are not giving valid results:

http://screencast.com/t/bwoOjDiLct

The search returns these results:

http://screencast.com/t/aISq93ZL

Note that some tasks are returned which do not have a start date in the next 1 day and which do not have more than 0 priority.

An earlier version of this query returned all -1 Negative priority tasks as well, so we added that extra (unnecessary) clause at the top to see that behavior.

Why is this happening? We've used this for a long time to train people on Toodledo, but with 3 days as the cutoff for Start Date.

Thanks.

Kevin Crenshaw
Head Coach, Priacta
kcren

Posted Oct 17, 2012 in: I suddenly have thousands of tasks!!
  • kcren
  • Posted: Oct 17, 2012
Thank you.

However, this feature in your iPhone app needs a warning. You ought to be able to detect that this is going to happen by checking the Exchange account existence and then checking its import setting. If not, you should issue a generic warning.

The propooed fix doesn't allow for tasks I entered into Toodledo manually on this same date.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2012.
kcren

• kcren
BTW, I have verified that I'm using the latest app store release.
kcren

• kcren
iOS 6, iPhone app, all was going well until...
I turned on Reminders Sync so I could import from Siri (delete on import ON).
Suddenly My last list ballooned from 214 tasks to 2217 tasks, and it is now unusable.

Where are all those tasks coming from, how do I remove them, and how do I prevent this for me and all our clients (we recommend and train people on Toodledo regularly).

- Kevin

P.S. I have an Exchange Server Email and Calendar account set up on my iPhone. It has Reminders turned on, mostly to support Calendar reminders. That Exchange account has some old emails and tasks in it with flags or reminders on them, and I wonder if ALL those tasks were suddenly imported into Toodledo? This is a dangerous feature and should have a warning on it. It could take me a long time to clean out the junk that was imported...