ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by cjbg"
cjbg

Posted Jul 02, 2019 in: Lookalike site - fake or legit?
Score: 0
  • cjbg
  • Posted: Jul 02, 2019
  • Score: 0
Just put "toodledoo.com" as the address to browse and it forwards to
https://www.gogetsplendidapps.com/wim/static/wi/main3.html?tp=iw&cid=8300&v=23&gnum=6&clickid=002404 16p073870490861&cachecode=tfBldcogKj7VZgixp%2FGWag%3D%3D%3AZmVkY2JhOTg3NjU0MzIxMA%3D%3D&q=Write+Note s&dkw=toodledoo.com&g=US&cc2=tfBldcogKj7VZgixp%2FGWag%3D%3D%3AZmVkY2JhOTg3NjU0MzIxMA%3D%3D
cjbg

Posted Jun 27, 2019 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Score: 1
  • cjbg
  • Posted: Jun 27, 2019
  • Score: 1
Joyce,
There are probably many people who share your viewpoint about software pricing...perhaps you should submit your pricing suggestions to Marvin. I'm not a developer but I suspect that one of the challenges they have is how to balance per user revenue with the amount of customer support per user. A lot of free software is ad supported in one way or the other. Judging by the questions and answers on the Marvin group page on Facebook, the vast configuration flexibility in Marvin can raise lots of questions. This aspect of highly configurable software may make it more difficult for developers to provide responsive support if the user population includes many non-paying customers. Just a thought...
cjbg

• cjbg
Joyce, my spouse told me I'd be forgiven for spending the money for a lifetime Marvin membership if I would stop going on and on about how great Marvin is. :) Here is a discount coupon posted by Michal Polat on You Tube:
For an extra free month use the coupon code: TXMICHAL.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2019.
cjbg

• cjbg
Eric,
Re. your questions about Marvin:
1) The export data function outputs a .csv file that could be used to create an import file to match the layout requirements for importation into another program if an "import from Marvin backup" option was not available. This might not be an easy process if the data includes many projects with sub-projects and tasks.

2) User base: there are currently 602 members of the private Facebook group for users and it seems to be growing steadily. The Facebook group is active with experienced users answering questions and the developers chiming in as well.
cjbg

Posted Jun 22, 2019 in: Very quiet here and No News
  • cjbg
  • Posted: Jun 22, 2019
greginfla,
The phone app is early stage. I find it good for quick reference and marking items complete but I do most work with a browser or the installed app on a computer. I'm keeping a few tasks in toodledo for the push reminders via text and email which are not yet implemented in Marvin.

Marvin lets you customize your workflow by turning "strategies" on and off and then configuring them to do what you want. If you look on the Strategies page from the main menu (top right corner of the main screen) and scroll down through the strategies, you will see that many of them are tagged with GTD. The flexibility in work flow design is the best I've seen and what got me hooked.

Labels in Marvin are very flexible and work with search filters including the built-in RPN used to create complex filters. Smart Lists with advanced filters can be configured to populate your customized work flow. There is also the ability to customize the sidebar.

Table view, collaboration and custom fields are on the product roadmap in the long term 1 year plus section: https://community.amazingmarvin.com/roadmap

Sub tasks of a Task seem to be just a child of the parent task and are useful when one needs just a checklist of task components that can be marked off as completed. More complex relationships are handled either by setting dependency of one task on another or with projects and sub projects which can be multiple layers deep. Projects and sub projects are made up of tasks and sub tasks. Projects in Marvin fall short of a fully featured project management system at this time. Those needing collaboration and project tracking may find something like Clickup.com a better fit. I think Marvin's strength is addressing personal productivity for those who want workflow customization.
cjbg

Posted Jun 21, 2019 in: Very quiet here and No News
Score: 0
  • cjbg
  • Posted: Jun 21, 2019
  • Score: 0
@greginfla
I know what you mean about the Marvin user interface...wasn't always intuitive to me at first but I'm used to it now. I think it's fairly consistent which helps and the developers are very responsive to suggestions and feedback based on what I've seen on the Facebook group for members.
The relative youth of the software and small size of the development team is certainly a consideration. The thing that overrode that concern in my case was the power of the software in terms of feature set and how one can configure it to personal workflow, needs and preferences. I'm betting the Marvin succeeds on it's merits so I won't have to switch again but there is a flat file export feature to .csv if it came to that.
cjbg

Posted Jun 16, 2019 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Score: 2
  • cjbg
  • Posted: Jun 16, 2019
  • Score: 2
re. Amazing Marvin
So, after about a ten days in trial with Marvin, I purchased a lifetime subscription to give the developers the support that I think this fine offering deserves. I guess I could have waited until the end of the generous 30 day trial but Marvin had taken over from Toodledo so time to commit. For those primarily interested in personal productivity, I think Amazing Marvin is definitely worth trying out today and check out the future feature list and roadmap: https://community.amazingmarvin.com/roadmap
cjbg

Posted Jun 16, 2019 in: Very quiet here and No News
Score: 3
  • cjbg
  • Posted: Jun 16, 2019
  • Score: 3
@lonnie_reeder
I was in trial mode at Amazing Marvin for about ten days and then purchased the lifetime subscription because Marvin is a great fit for me. I sure hope that this very flexible and well thought out software will have the commercial success that it truly deserves. I think that anyone focused on their personal productivity will benefit greatly by experimenting with Marvin's work flow strategies and daily task screen options. I found that the process of learning about the strategies and thinking about how I could use them was beneficial in of itself. Now that I have access to the Amazing Marvin Facebook group I see that there is support available from users and of course from the developers who are fully engaged and very responsive.

Toodledo has served me well but it appears their future vision targets companies with many users. My own interest is individual productivity and small group collaboration which make Marvin a better fit. As to the cost of the service, I think that most anyone who spends a few hours exploring Marvin's help center and training videos will see that Amazing Marvin can earn it's subscription fee if personal productivity is the goal. The 30 day trial is a generous offer.

The import feature for Toodledo let me bring my tasks over very easily. The only confusion I had was that Marvin treated all tasks as previously scheduled so my "uncompleted" task list behind the link on the My Day screen was huge. I just needed to unschedule or reschedule these tasks to get them off the daily carryover. This initial review of tasks has an upside in that you can check to be sure that each one is set up properly to work with the strategies and smartlists that you have set up.

Amazing Marvin is missing a few features that I have used such as push notifications and collaboration but these are on the list of planned features so I am content to work around these limitations to get the overall benefit of Marvin today.
cjbg

Posted Jun 01, 2019 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • cjbg
  • Posted: Jun 01, 2019
I'm of the view that my time is worth more than the price difference between free and $100 per year providing that the productivity enhancement tool actually helps me be more productive. I came across M's post from 2018 about www.amazingmarvin.com. There is a lot to like: comprehensive choice of strategies and configuration options, import tools for Toodledo and others, versions for web or offline or mobile, clear roadmap of future features, very active development, responsive to user feature requests etc. I'm playing with a 30 day trial account and liking it more and more. There is a very effective behavioral flavor to the tool that I think will help people deal with the nexus of their own work style, work load and constant stream of incoming information and action items. I would be interested in hearing what others think about Amazing Marvin.