ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Tripper"
Tripper

Posted Dec 22, 2017 in: Current State of 3rd-Party Apps
Score: -1
  • Tripper
  • Posted: Dec 22, 2017
  • Score: -1
I wanted see which 3rd-party apps people are still using with TD, and list out my favorites to compare.

In my case, I work most often from a Windows desktop and an Android phone. Sometimes from the Web or MacOS. In general, I've found things like batch editing to be way easier with Windows and MacOS desktop apps and I also prefer certain app UI's for quicker input and sorting than either TD's Web or Mobile apps. My app choices are currently TaskUnifier on Windows, Ultimate To-Do List on Android. More specifically, here are my observations on apps for each platform:

Windows
TaskUnifier - WinXP-style UI and runs on Java, but the most feature-rich. Calendar view for tasks with due dates/times. Full support and sync of all field types. Unfortunately it's been abandoned by its developer, and I worry it's only a matter of time before the app loses feature-parity or ability to sync as TD continues to evolve. A real shame. I wish someone would pickup the project...
TaskAngel - Runs natively in Windows. Is missing Length and Timer fields, and doesn't handle subtask/project layouts very well. It is still actively developed, though.
2Day - By far the most beautiful, but displays tasks in a timeline style, which is not necessarily the best way visual presentation for all use cases. Like TaskUnifier, development has ceased, as its creator has gone to work on Microsoft's To Do app. So I see it stagnating as well... shame.
gSyncIt for Outlook - Creative use of categories and other workarounds to support most TD field types. Also the only way I know to keep TD in-sync with Todoist or Nozbe at a flat level (task-subtask relationships are lost).

MacOS
2Do - Very nice-looking app, but limited support for all field types.
TheHitList - Better field support. Not quite as nice of an interface. Seems development has also stagnated.

Android
Ultimate To-Do List - The best choice for full field support. It even syncs how Goals relate to each other. Still in active development; hopefully that means a face lift at some point, as the UI is a bit dated.
DTG GTD - Some nicer UI components than Ultimate, but an even more dated UI. Doesn't sync Goal relationships correctly. Slow development as well.
2Do - By far the best looking, but doesn't support Contexts, Goals, Length, Timer. Also cannot use No Folder as one's Inbox, like how you can with Ultimate or DTG.

The state of things is obviously a mixed bag. IMHO, the perfect desktop app would be something with the power of TaskUnifier but the interface of something like OmniFocus. And the perfect Android app would have the same features, but the UI of an app like 2Do. One can only wish!

What are your top choices and observations?

This message was edited Dec 22, 2017.
Tripper

Posted Dec 22, 2017 in: Further UI Refinement
Score: 0
  • Tripper
  • Posted: Dec 22, 2017
  • Score: 0
Gene,

As I mentioned via email, excellent work!

@Jake - I hope you'll consider integrating at least some of Gene's work, as I think most would agree the styling changes definitely enhance visual clarity.

Thanks again,
Trip
Tripper

Score: 3
  • Tripper
  • Posted: Dec 08, 2017
  • Score: 3
Hi Jake,

Thanks for your attention in advance.

As I'm sure you're well aware, TD's web and mobile UI's don't allow for multi-selection of line items directly from any given view. As it stands, we must view an area (folder, context, etc.), then a specific named choice from within, or a saved search, to attempt to generate a list that's close enough to the actual batch edit candidates we want, then edit either the whole list or none.

I think it would be much more intuitive, and I'd hope you'd agree, to allow for simple point-and-click range selection (ie. Shift-Click) and partial selection (ie. Ctrl-Click) from within any view, with full ability to batch edit and/or drag&drop from there. This is present in nearly every modern app I can think of that presents line-item data (email apps, calendar apps, etc.) and I think ToodleDo really needs to have it as well. Fortunately, I can work around it currently in the desktop apps TaskUnifier and TaskAngel, but IMHO it really should be baked into the core app as well.

So, I would urge that if it could be done, you make it happen for those of us who have to manage a coupe hundred tasks or more (which I bet is most people). Thanks for your consideration as always,

Trip
Tripper

Posted Dec 07, 2017 in: Further UI Refinement
  • Tripper
  • Posted: Dec 07, 2017
Hi Gene. Great to have you chime in. :)

I'd be happy to chat regarding feedback and anything further. You can drop me an email any time at: trip (at) outcometech (dot) com.

As a further note, I've gone to good lengths with most of the 3rd-party apps to see how much more I could squeeze out of the base platform, and while each app has its strong points, the whole combined effort has overall felt more fragmenting than anything else. So I think the answer lies in cleaning up and sticking to the core app itself, on all platforms. I suspect that's one of the main reasons why Todoist has commanded as much market-share as it has (apologies for bringing up the competition, but I do so with constructive intent).

Anyways, yes, let's see if and how we can contribute here. *thumbs up*

- Trip

This message was edited Dec 07, 2017.
Tripper

Posted Dec 05, 2017 in: Further UI Refinement
  • Tripper
  • Posted: Dec 05, 2017
Jake and Co,

First off, thank you for your continued work in improving ToodleDo, especially in the core UX of the app.

On that note, I think many would agree that further visual cleanups are needed on the UI front. The best real-life example I could offer right now would be through the use of Stylish (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylish-custom-themes-for/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcff e?hl=en) for Chrome/Vivaldi, plus the Light Skin for TD by genez at UserStyles (https://userstyles.org/styles/150855/toodledo-lightskin). While you might not agree with every modification in that example, most of those changes alone make the app much more agreeable on the eyes. If you were to couple most of those changes with cleaner use of block elements (white fills instead of dark, blocky colors) and a few more material design cues, I think you could very easily find yourself at-par and perhaps even beyond the likes of Todoist, Any.do, etc., hopefully with minimal reworking of code.

I'm sure you're well aware of what I've suggested, and of course things such as this are much easier said than done, so I offer it with the utmost thanks for what you've already done, and I appreciate your continued efforts with the resources available.

Thanks!
Trip

This message was edited Dec 05, 2017.
Tripper

Posted Oct 03, 2016 in: Toodledo Roadmap Update
Score: 1
  • Tripper
  • Posted: Oct 03, 2016
  • Score: 1
How are things coming along on the tasks overhaul Jake?
Tripper

Posted Aug 05, 2016 in: Toodledo Roadmap Update
  • Tripper
  • Posted: Aug 05, 2016
Thanks for the info! Appreciate the transparency and promptness about exactly what's planned and where you're at.
Cheers for now.
Tripper

Posted Aug 04, 2016 in: Toodledo Roadmap Update
  • Tripper
  • Posted: Aug 04, 2016
Jake - Pretty please, may we see a screenshot glimpse and/or mockup of what the new Tasks UI will look like? :-) Thanks again for your efforts!
Tripper

Posted Jul 21, 2016 in: Toodledo Roadmap Update
  • Tripper
  • Posted: Jul 21, 2016
Thanks for the quick update Jake. Fingers crossed. :)
Tripper

Posted Jul 21, 2016 in: Toodledo Roadmap Update
Score: 1
  • Tripper
  • Posted: Jul 21, 2016
  • Score: 1
Also curious on an ETA for Tasks -- hoping for solid material design, smooth real-time UI, and consistency across all platforms.

Until then, I'm revisiting Wunderlist and Todoist -- they both lack some feature granularity, but their UI and UX make day-to-day operation easy enough in comparison that I can honestly say I feel a difference day-to-day. Easier to bounce in and out, manage, and ultimately *accomplish* to-do's because of it. That's something I can't just ignore any more, as it feeds into the direct reason why one uses these tools in the first place.

I plan on giving ToodleDo the next "refresh" to hopefully pull level in that regard. Thanks for all your work, Jake and co.
Trip

This message was edited Jul 21, 2016.