ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by russbuchmann"
russbuchmann

Score: 1
@Everyone...
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I thought I was "watching" the post and just thought no one got around to responding yet. Apparently I was wrong. Thanks for all of the feedback so far. I guess the main thing to grab from your responses is that Toodledo is very customizable and there is no right answer. Do what works for each of us.

@Eric
I have seen some other suggestions like your setup. For some reason, I feel like I would have too many folders to worry about and be constantly managing them. I would just be happy if there was a "Project" field that you could relationally tie tasks to. I guess that is similar to folders, but I sure like my folder setup so far. Maybe I will learn to appreciate your method after I get more familiar with my options.

@ben
Yes, I have read the book. it was a while ago and I loved it. I just can't find it. I figured with all of the info on the internet I could find an easy explanation of projects and some of the other questions I had.
I actually think I process my tasks very closely to how you do, except I was on the fence about putting subtasks of projects into the "Actions" folder or any other folder for that matter.

Do all of your subtasks ALWAYS stay in the "Projects" folder? If so, how do you handle Waiting, Follow-up, etc?
I use Stars just like you mentioned, but I question whether things that are WAITING should have a star as a reminder for me. For example, if I am waiting on someone to complete a subtask of a project but there is another subtask I could work on then I would have two starred subtasks for that project. That seems very anti-GTD. Thanks

@JPR
I read every word so no worries there. I each of you took the time to read all of my craziness it is the least I can do.

Between you and Eric so far I am thinking I might continue to look into folders more for projects, but not right away since Toodledo IS working for me. I am still learning.
So you basically consider anything with a CONTEXT a "Next Action"? I can see how that makes sense. Maybe my problem is that I am anticipating what will happen too early on, BUT it does make me feel better and alleviate some stress.

@PeterW
Again, another person to get me thinking about Folders. I just think I like how I can just type a PROJECT name into the quick task box and it will be in my Inbox for review later. Just add subtasks and I am done. Folders for Projects seem like that would slow down my ability to purge tasks from my mind or other inboxes.

I will read the newsletter though. Thank you.

@Dave
Since I use a PROJECTS folder with parent & subtasks, I have a custom search that only shows items that are NOT subtasks and ARE in the PROJECTS folder. That is my "Projects" list. I review it every day because my projects move very quickly.
russbuchmann

Score: 1
After searching the forums I have decided to get direct feedback...

How to handle Projects and subtasks the GTD way (or close to it).

So I am new to Toodledo (and love it) and somewhat new to GTD as well, but I understand most of the basics. I guess for this to be efficient, I should give you a rough layout of how I have Toodledo setup (similar to Proximo's setup, etc)

CONTEXTS:
-Work
-Home
-Phone
-Errands

FOLDERS
-Actions
-Projects
-Waiting
-Follow-up
-Ticklers
-Someday
-No Folder

Basically I "STAR" any task/action I want to be a "Next Action" and use custom searches to filter things as needed.

Right now if I have a Project, I do the following:

1. Create a Parent Task with the project name (Let's say "Store Billboard")
2. Next, I create the subtasks (potential sub-actions) that I anticipate for that project at the time of adding the project task. Each subtask has a project name prefix for easier identification like others have recommended. I am not sure if it is good/appropriate to create these in advance, but it helps me to feel more organized and put the steps down in advance.

Let's say we have something like:

>Store Billboard (Project)
>>>BILLB: Email buyers about content/message for billboard
>>>BILLB: Send quote request to installers
>>>BILLB: Gather needed artwork
>>>BILLB: Layout billboard draft
>>>BILLB: Email draft to owners for review
>>>BILLB: Make required changes
>>>BILLB: Email final draft to owners for approval
>>>BILLB: Send artwork to installers

3. The way I have Toodledo setup, those subtasks inherit the context and folder (and other attributes) of my parent task/project. So in this case, they would all have a context of 'Work" and a folder of "Projects" right off the bat unless I change something...THIS IS WHERE I GET CONFUSED WITH GTD...

I might STAR "Email buyers about content..." to make it a Next Action, but 1) I am not sure if I should change it's folder to "Actions" and 2)Once I email the buyers, I may be "WAITING" for them to reply, but still be able to move on to 1-2 other subtasks/actions within the project. Do I keep a task that is marked as "WAITING" starred any longer or should I just be sure to check my waiting folder each day and follow-up as needed.

I feel like I shouldn't have multiple, active NEXT Actions for a project from a GTD standpoint, but that just seems to be what happens.

So I guess my questions/issues are:

1. Is there a recommended way (with Toodledo and/or by GTD methods)of labeling/handling projects and subtasks to be most efficient.

2. Am I handling the subtasks/actions of a project properly in your opinions? As far as having 1-3 active at a time based on folder/context?

3. I feel like the parent task for a project should be in the "Projects" folder, but I am not sure about the subtasks of a project also being in that folder - since individually they aren't "Projects" and can take on other states/folders like "Waiting" or "Actions".

4. If I don't have subtasks in the "Projects" folder then they do not show up in that folder view by default. Maybe that is a good thing. Advice? Should all pre-entered subtasks of a project parent task be actions right from the beginning or should they be in no folder.

Sorry this is so lengthy and probably more detailed than it needs to be. I appreciate any feedback and want to thank anyone who actually takes the time to read through all of this.

-Russ

This message was edited Apr 05, 2012.