ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by JCLATWORK"
JCLATWORK

Posted Jul 27, 2011 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011
Score: 1
I forgot to add that I appreciated the "warning" about the userscript I had enabled. That showed a lot of thought for your customers.
JCLATWORK

Posted Jul 27, 2011 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011
Score: -1
What a very pleasant surprise to log in just now! My first impression is very good indeed. Thanks so much!
JCLATWORK

Posted Jan 12, 2011 in: Firefox Addon Updates
Score: 0
Posted by judisohn:
There already is a Toodledo Chrome extension. Seems the functionality is similar.

The Toodlechrome extension is just a window with the slim version of the site--not a quick way to create a task with a drop-down. I use the Toodledo Firefox add-on to create tasks from GMail and Google Apps with a link back to the mail in the task. THAT's what I would like in Chrome.
JCLATWORK

Posted Jan 12, 2011 in: Returnees Unite
I'm curious how many of us have drifted away from Toodledo and then come back. I had decided to give up on Toodledo because of the "less than artful" interface of the site. This is something that has bothered me (and a lot of other users) for a long time.

I went to Producteev for a long while--actually moved all of my tasks over and made it my daily platform. The site and iPhone app are very nice looking, the GCal integration is excellent, and the Gmail "click a button and make a task" lab is outstanding. But I am back to Toodledo now and happy.

Why?

I get so much more done with Toodledo! This is still the best product out there, whatever might nag us about it. Thanks, Toodledo.
JCLATWORK

Posted Jan 11, 2011 in: Firefox Addon Updates
This add-on is my mainstay. I'm not asking for a timeline (of course!) but can we hope for a similar extension in Chrome? Is it even possible? This add-on and Zotero are the only reasons I am still using Firefox...
JCLATWORK

I do have the latest version (or did--I uninstalled it).

The dialog I mean is the Toodledo dialog that one sees when using the built-in multi-edit. Every time I load my search (my default view), the "Edit Multiple Tasks" pane appears and I have to close it by clicking on "Cancel Edit" before I can get on with my work. It's a small annoyance, but a consistent one. The dialog from your script behaved, but the default one did not. It's probably my fault for using a search as my default view.

Thanks, though.
JCLATWORK

I have just started experimenting with the script and have found it very helpful already.

One question:

My Default View is a search, so every time I log in, I see the full "edit multiple tasks" dialog since installing this script. Is there any way around that? I am assuming this is because of some call the script is making (spoken like a true code layman).

Thanks very much for the capabilities, though.
JCLATWORK

Posted Sep 30, 2010 in: Status: How do you use it?
Ditto PeterW. And I don't miss it. I find that using folders for all of these categories simplifies things and keeps my lists in each folder shorter.
JCLATWORK

Posted Sep 30, 2010 in: Evernote integration
Posted by ralph.kurz:
Hey,

how should an integration work for you?

I am wondering the same thing about what people really mean by Evernote integration. I am using Ralph's script and love it (though I use it mostly for GMail integration along with the Toodledo Firefox add-on).

From some of the descriptions here, it seems that integration means auto-connecting tasks to notes through tags, so Toodledo is constantly watching one's Evernote and attaching a note to a task (or folder) by tag. Is that right?

Right now I use Ralph's script to see when I have en Evernote note that is reference material or text/an image I need when I complete the task. It works great.

BTW, Ralph -- vielen Dank!
JCLATWORK

Posted Sep 04, 2010 in: Scheduling Suggestion
I agree that this would be an excellent feature. I have worked around it in the following way. Bear in mind that it requires working on a Mac.

1) Export your Toodledo database to an XML file to save as backup in case you are not happy with the method below.

2) Backup your iCal data for the same reason as above.

3) Download Appigo Sync, which has Toodledo sync in beta.

4) Sync Toodledo with iCal. This will create calendars in iCal for each folder you have set up in Toodledo. You can decide if you want this to be manual or automatic, and if automatic, how frequently it happens.

5) Open iCal, and open the right-hand pane that shows your to-dos. These can be sorted in various ways in iCal. Though the to-do function is lacking in features, at least the items from Toodledoo are visible.

6) During your regular review of to-dos, simply drag these from the right-hand pane onto your calendar to create appointments that can be edited for duration, location, etc. I sort into a next action folder in my review, so after the sync, these to-dos are easier to find in iCal.

This is how I get my to-dos on my calendar to ensure I have time to actually get them done. I call them "do-dates." I still only create the to-dos in Toodledo, but this lets me schedule them.

For the final link in my system, I have iCal synced to my Google Apps account at work through CalDAV so these appointments then show up on my iPhone through Exchange. If something keeps me from completing the to-do at the scheduled time, I can just drag the event to another date/time on iCal, iPhone, or Google Calendar. I leave the original due date in Toodledo to give me a sense of urgency. I don't know if that is best practice, but it seems to help me.

With Appigo ToDo on my iPhone and this system keeping my calendar up-to-date, I now have fewer (!) excuses when I don't get something done.
JCLATWORK

Posted by murrycamper:
I am currently working on a desktop app that syncs with Toodledo that allows you to view your tasks and drag them onto a calendar to schedule out your days and weeks. It is based on block scheduling. Any interest?

If by this you mean you can on-the-fly drag to-dos onto your calendar and make them events, then yes, I would be very interested. Are you talking Windows, Mac, or both?
JCLATWORK

Posted May 25, 2010 in: Filters in folders
Hi Andrew,

It seems to me you could accomplish this with different saved searches. It might feel like you are creating too many folders, but searches are much more customizable than folders in my experience. You could, for example, create a saved search that is an all tasks folder, in effect, but which hides anything in the Reference or Someday/Maybe folders. It's an additional click into "view by: search", but it gives you a lot of control.

One of the great things about Toodledo is the ability to create one's one way of doing things, and for my part, I spend more time in my custom searches than in folder views, context views, etc. It took some time to think through, set up, and test, but now I can zero in on what I need to get done through the various searches, and I know they are filtered the way I need every time.

I hope this helps!
JCLATWORK

Posted Apr 12, 2010 in: Bidirectional sync with iCal (Beta)
I tried this out the first day. It did not erase my iCal data (which I had backed up), but created a calendar for each folder in Toodledo. Depending on the nature of the task, some showed up as tasks and some as events. Stars seemed to have disappeared. I cleaned this up and then turned on synchronization with the system calendar in The Hit List, which is what I was aiming for. This seemed to work OK, but the names of tasks were appended with tags, etc. AND my Toodledo tasks were somehow mangled--some deleted.

In the end, I turned it all off and restored iCal and Toodledo from the backups I made immediately before experimentation.

This is a beta, but looks promising.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2010.
JCLATWORK

Posted Mar 16, 2010 in: Slow Website, yet again
I haven't noticed it either. In Hong Kong.
JCLATWORK

Fixed. Now that's responsiveness! Love Web-based apps--always in progress.
JCLATWORK

I'm seeing the same thing, and it just started today, as far as I remember. My workaround for now is to view them flattened. Not pretty, but it keeps my tasks visible.
JCLATWORK

Posted Feb 06, 2010 in: Please hire a UI Designer
I probably have a similar story to many users of Toodledo.

I compared Toodledo and RTM with free accounts for a few months, then paid for an account at RTM because it felt better--just like I feel better getting much more accomplished on my Mac at home than my PC at work. Toodledo frankly put me off because it did not look and feel like a modern product. I did, however, keep coming back to try out Toodledo. I had to keep from cringing and try out all of Vin's styles (I still use Toodledoish), and in the end I decided Toodledo was my home because it has the best features of any of the sites I've seen. BUT I still spend so much time wishing it looked better!

My wife is an entrepreneur, so I get that it may not be immediately possible, but I agree with many here that hiring a UI designer when Toodledo can afford it would be a leap forward. Toodledo is awesome, but it could attract more users with a sleeker design. I've said it elsewhere on the forums, but with a nice design and Google Gears, there would be no reason for me to look at any of the pretty Mac desktop GTD apps. Toodledo would then have it all!
JCLATWORK

After going around and around wishing I could sync Things or The Hit List with Toodledo, I think I would have to say my top priorities (in this order) are:

1. Gears (essential)
2. A new UI look and feel (would-be-nice)

I have created a workflow I am happy with on my Mac, but I wish I could work offline and have a cleaner interface while doing it.

Toodledo is hands down the best online task tool.
JCLATWORK

I also would like to see this. I have used a beta of The Hit List and was really impressed, but would love to see Toodledo integration with any desktop. I am looking for a reason NOT to move away from Toodledo, but to have an easy-to-use and easy-on-the-eye desktop app to accompany it. The Hit List could be it!