ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by jpdoconnell"
jpdoconnell

Posted Nov 09, 2009 in: Tasks vs Calender events
Score: 2
I use contexts to schedule when I'll do each task -- i.e., to create daily "to-do" lists. I've found this very helpful and want to share the idea, even though I'm sure lots of people have come up with it. (I searched the forums before posting this, but if this duplicates, I'm sorry.)

My problem was that TD provided no way to schedule when I would do a task, unless I used its start or due date as a proxy. So I was just making lists in hard copy for each day and ending up constantly copying unfinished tasks to the next day's list.

So I set up a context for each day of the week, each starting with a number so they sort in the right order: "1 Monday," "2 Tuesday," "3 Wednesday," etc. For any task I think I'll do in the next week, I set its context according to the day I plan to do it. Other tasks have no context and I can periodically look at the "no context" list and see if anything's becoming urgent. (I may extend the system and add other when-to-do contexts, like "Sometime in next two weeks.")

My first look at TD each day is as the list of tasks with the context for that day of the week -- e.g., today I pulled up the Context = "1 Monday" list. When I realize in a few hours that some things won't get done today, I'll change their contexts to "2 Tuesday" or (for most) "3 Thursday," since my Wednesdays are crazy. Some of my recurring tasks have a default context -- for example, I have something that's always due on Saturdays, but I try to do it Fridays, so default due date is Saturday but default context is "5 Friday."