ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Widaker"
Widaker

Score: 2
  • Widaker
  • Posted: Apr 17, 2016
  • Score: 2
+1 for introducing saved searches also in the Android app!
Widaker

Posted Mar 09, 2016 in: How to add Gmail Mails to Toodledo
Score: 0
  • Widaker
  • Posted: Mar 09, 2016
  • Score: 0
Posted by cb_1374830848:
I did it now with Google Apps Script, it works like this:

1. Gmail label TODO is assigned
2. Email is added to Toodledo Inbox, including subject, content, link

Two possible ways to process it:

3a. If the corresponding task is completed in Toodledo, TODO label is removed in Gmail
3b. If the TODO label is removed in Gmail, task is completed in Toodledo

This is working fine. The only thing I have to figure out is the rate limit.

@Jake, I noticed that toodledo does not allow to filter when retrieving tasks, is that right?

For future reference, in case people are looking for how to implement this: it is explained in more detail in the thread below.

https://toodledo.com/forums/3/20259/0/create-task-from-starred-message-in-gmail.html
Widaker

Posted Sep 08, 2015 in: Google calendar INTO toodledo
  • Widaker
  • Posted: Sep 08, 2015
You could also use Google Apps Script if the functionality of IFTTT or Zapier is not enough. The post in the following link describes how to do that: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/20259/-94911/read.html#jump
Widaker

Posted Jun 23, 2015 in: Create Task based on Gmail Email?
  • Widaker
  • Posted: Jun 23, 2015
You can use a Google Apps script to create a task in Toodledo by starring a message in Gmail. I've described how to do this in this forum post: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/20259/0/create-task-from-starred-message-in-gmail.html
Widaker

• Widaker
  • Posted: Jun 23, 2015
Posted by e20.09g:
This only works for a Google Apps account, not a regular GMail account, correct ?

Yes, you need the Google Apps functionalities. Here's how to (de)activate them: https://support.google.com/a/answer/182442?hl=en.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2015.
Widaker

• Widaker
  • Posted: Mar 29, 2015
Posted by Roman Jilge:
Dear Widaker

Your script is awesome! Thank you.
Because I am not a developer and don't understand Google Script, do you have an idea, how to implement the exact function but instead of 'marked' email I would like to use a new added Google Calendar Event posted to Toodledo. I have tried IFTTT but doesn't work for me.

What I am looking for:
I would like to add an event in Google Cal.
Scripts checks Google Cal periodically...
If new event was found, the scipt post the Event as a task in Toodledo with following fields

# Name of the Task == Name of event in Google Cal
# Due Date and Time == Date and Start Time of the event in Google Cal
# Lenght == End of the event in Google Cal

Thank you for your help and best regards for sharing your great script.

Roman

Hi Roman,

Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear the script is of use to you as well.

Regarding your Google Cal script: Unfortunately, there is still no way to trigger a script when a new calendar event is added. But luckily there is a workaround. The script below first gets all the events from a given calendar within one year from now. It then checks for each of those events if it's been added to Toodledo already by checking its 'toodledo' tag value . If not, it adds it to Toodledo and tags it as added to Toodledo (to prevent it from being added to Toodledo over and over again).

Probably not the prettiest implementation, but I ran some quick tests with it and it seems to do what you had in mind. Some remarks:
- The script assumes that all the events you want to add are part of a single calendar (you can look up the calendar ID of your desired one the in Google calendar settings). But you can duplicate and modify the script to check for several calendars. The API reference (https://developers.google.com/apps-script/reference/calendar/) can also be helpful for modifying the script to suit your needs more.
- The 'toodledo' tag the script checks is not visible in the calendar interface as far as I can tell.
- Don't forget to again add a time-based trigger to regularly run the script.

Good luck!
Widaker

Script:

function createTaskFromNewEvent() {
var now = new Date();
var oneYearFromNow = new Date(now.getTime() + (365 * 24 * 60 * 60 * 1000));
var events = CalendarApp.getOwnedCalendarById('[email protected]').getEvents(now, oneYearFromNow);
for (var h = 0; h < events.length; h++) {
if (events[h].getTag('toodledo') != 'added')
{
var eventLength = (events[h].getEndTime() - events[h].getStartTime())/60000;
GmailApp.sendEmail('[email protected]',
events[h].getTitle() + ' #' + events[h].getStartTime() + ' ~' + eventLength + ' %Gcal',
'');
events[h].setTag('toodledo','added');
}
}
}

This message was edited Mar 29, 2015.
Widaker

• Widaker
  • Posted: Mar 05, 2015
Posted by Wayne T.:
I've tried modifying the script to look for a label rather than the star, but haven't been able to figure it out.
Since labels are added to the entire thread rather than a single message, is it even possible?

The fact that labels are a property of the entire thread and not of an individual message indeed complicates things a bit. But you could use the code below. It looks for threads with the label 'Toodledo' and adds the last message of each of those threads. This is assuming that usually you will want the most recent message to be added and not the first one for instance.

Is this what you had in mind? Perhaps it is also useful setting your script to be triggered more regularly to prevent new messages having come in before the intended message was added.

function createTaskFromLabel() {
var threads = GmailApp.search('label:Toodledo');
var myLabel = GmailApp.getUserLabelByName('Toodledo');
for (var h = 0; h < threads.length; h++) {
var messages = threads[h].getMessages();
var iMess = messages.length-1;
Logger.log(messages[iMess].getSubject());
'/AR ' + messages[iMess].getSubject() + ' %Gmail',
'https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#inbox/' + messages[iMess].getId() + '\n\n' + messages[iMess].getPlainBody());
threads[h].removeLabel(myLabel);
}
}
Widaker

• Widaker
  • Posted: Feb 18, 2015
Posted by Wayne T.:
Part of the problem might be if you copied and pasted it into google scripts editor. Don't include the html tags <code> or </code>.

The script should start with: function createTaskFromStarred() {

Good remark! That's most likely what the problem is for mirbogat. Unfortunately I cannot edit the first post anymore to make it less confusing - when originally posting I assumed all html tags would be interpreted in the formatting.

Posted by Pascal Zweipfenning:
Using a IFTTT recipe works fine for me. I'm using a specific 'Toodledo' label. The thing is that you need to keep the mail in the nbox until the recipe has been triggered.

I created the script after unsuccessfully having tried an IFTTT recipe to do the same. In the meantime the integration between Toodledo and IFTTT might have improved, but back then the functionality was still rather limited. In any case the Google Apps script is more flexible. You can use quick add syntax, and you could implement if-then-else checks combined with e.g. Gmail labels to even better fit your needs.

And more importantly, I've noticed that you cannot rely on IFTTT recipes to work well every time. And I don't want any task to slip through the cracks. If the Google Apps script fails, you will at least get a failure notification, and the email will remain starred.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2015.
Widaker

• Widaker
  • Posted: Feb 18, 2015
Posted by mirbogat:
This seems pretty awesome and is something I have been searching for. For some reason I haven't been able to use IFTTT to do the same, even though it "should" work.

I'm getting a syntax error on row 3:

var threads = GmailApp.search('is:starred');

Any idea why?

Thanks!

Do you have any more info about which specific syntax error? Also, that line is line 2 in the code, perhaps you're looking at the wrong one - or your first line is a blank one.

You could try replacing ' by ", although that shouldn't make a difference - both are used interchangeably in the API reference.
Widaker

Score: 1
  • Widaker
  • Posted: Feb 08, 2015
  • Score: 1
I thought I'd share this Google Apps script I use to easily add tasks from messages in Gmail by simply starring them. The script checks your Gmail messages regularly and if a message is starred, it sends it to your Toodledo email address to add the task (using the quick add syntax). The message is then unstarred. Implementing it to work for you is more straightforward than you probably think.

The script is a Google Apps script (https://developers.google.com/apps-script/). You can easily create one in your Google Drive with the following steps:
- In Google Drive, click 'Create' and select 'Script' and then 'Blank Project' (you might have to enable Google Apps Scripts first).
- Once the new script has opened, copy the code below in it, but make sure to replace '[email protected]' by your own Toodledo email address.
- Tell Google how often to 'trigger' the script (i.e. how often to check for new starred messages): Click the button that looks like a stopwatch and add a time-driven trigger. I have it triggered every hour, but you can choose an interval that suits you best.
- Save your script and try it out.

<code>
function createTaskFromStarred() {
var threads = GmailApp.search('is:starred');
for (var h = 0; h < threads.length; h++) {
var messages = threads[h].getMessages();
for (var i = 0; i < messages.length; i++) {
if (messages[i].isStarred())
{
Logger.log(messages[i].getSubject());
'/AR ' + messages[i].getSubject() + ' %Gmail',
'https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#inbox/' + messages[i].getId() + '\n\n' + messages[i].getPlainBody());
messages[i].unstar();
}
}
}
}
</code>

Some remarks:
- The Gmail message is sent to your Toodledo task list using the message subject as task name, preceded by '/AR' ('Action Required'). The tag 'Gmail' is also added in Toodledo. The message body in plain text is included as task note, preceded by the message URL which will lead you back to the message in Gmail. You can of course change these things as you like (I guess the syntax to do so is pretty straightforward).
- I wrote this script to fit my workflow, but you can of course alter it as per your needs. I for instance don't use the star in Gmail for anything except for adding tasks to Toodledo. So I just get all the starred messages, send them to Toodledo and then unstar them (otherwise the message will be added to Toodledo over and over again). But if you already use the star in Gmail for something else, you might want to change the search for starred messages by a search for messages with a given label. Just make sure to have some action in place at the end of your script that prevents the message from being sent to Toodledo over and over again each time the script is triggered.
- You can modify this script to also check for other conditions to make it more sophisticated. E.g. if you regularly get bills via Gmail and you have a special folder/context/tag for this, you could have the script check for a star AND a label 'Bills' and add the corresponding folder/context/tag info in the quick add syntax in the script. Now, every time you star a message and add the label 'Bills', it will be sent to Toodledo, including the desired folder/context/tag.
- I've had some problems in the past with the script failing and throwing an error when adding messages with certain types of attachments. It's therefore good practice to put the unstarring of the message at the end of the script, after the sending to Toodledo. That way, when the script fails to send to Toodledo, the task will still be starred, indicating it still needs to be added.

I use this functionality very regularly, so hopefully it can also be useful for some of you. I'm not a programmer so the scripting might not be optimal or even proper, but it does the job for me. Any suggestions/remarks are of course welcome.
Widaker

Posted Feb 04, 2015 in: Progress Report - January 2015
Score: 1
  • Widaker
  • Posted: Feb 04, 2015
  • Score: 1
Posted by gggarrett:
Posted by Widaker:

"And TBH, I don't think Toodledo profits from having a habits section. It shouldn't even have one IMHO. It's a kickass best-of-its-kind task management tool, but if you want a habit tracking tool there are already a lot of better alternatives such as HabitRPG, HabitBull, etc. The same goes for the notes section for that matter (though to a lesser extent): being able to add some info to a task is useful, but if I want to include more info than just some plain text or manage entire notebooks, I'll switch to Evernote or OneNote or the likes."

I have to disagree with Widaker. The Notes section is one of the best things about Toodledo, and it made me into an everyday user and subscriber. The notes are available offline, are easy to sort, and search works well. Evernote requires a subscription to be used offline (my iPad relies on WiFi), and it is overkill for the plain text notes that I like to take. In my view, the notes section is a distinguishing feature that makes Toodledo far better than the other task management apps out there. Outlines, Lists, and Habits I could live without, but not the Notes.

I can see where you're coming from concerning Evernote being overkill, I also prefer simple plain text notes for most tasks. But if plain text is really all you need, then I don't understand why you would use the Notes section instead of just the note field already included for each task (which is great). The Notes section is intended to serve as a general note-taking tool, for storing things like business plan drafts, recipes, quote collections, etc. This encompasses a lot more than purely task-related things - as a note-taking tool should, since most of an average person's notes are not directly linked to tasks. But I don't want to use Toodledo for general note-taking. There are other services that are far better suited for this, like Evernote or OneNote. Trying to compete against these services with Toodledo's Notes section is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Of course not everyone uses Toodledo in the same way, so I understand that different things might be useful for different users. And the Notes and Habits sections perhaps do have their merits when you look at usage statistics. But if you're serious about note-taking or habit-tracking, you'll already be using different tools for that. Dedicated tools for both of them, like Toodledo is for task management.

It's like when you're buying a car: You want a car that drives well, feels comfortable, doesn't make too much noise, or has whatever car specs you care about. But you don't want a car with blades underneath it that you can also use to mow your lawn. You just get a lawn mower for that. Yes, a car and a lawn mower seem to be related to each other in the sense that they both have four wheels and an engine, so it might seem to make sense to put the blades underneath the car to get the combo system. But do you really want to maneuver your car through your garden?

Silly analogy of course, but seriously: I think it's a pity that so much effort is invested in non-core functionality. And you also see it in the other direction BTW: habit tracking tools and note-taking apps implementing to-do lists and reminder features. I wish you guys would all talk to one another a bit more, trying to mutually integrate each other's services.

This message was edited Feb 04, 2015.
Widaker

Posted Feb 03, 2015 in: Progress Report - January 2015
Score: 4
  • Widaker
  • Posted: Feb 03, 2015
  • Score: 4
Posted by coolexplorer:
Jake, lot of work being done at a good pace and that is very heartening. Lot of effort on the UI (cheers!!) and Habits (expected since it is a new launch with features being developed/corrected).

I Look forward in future months to emphasis on the core USP i.e. Task Management Functionality eg. (1) Sequential Sorting of tasks (2) Task Multi-select (3) Sub-sub tasks ?? (4) Tag improvement (5) Visible Logical Connection of Goal--> Project--> Task (6) Tight Google Calendar integration (7) Optional TD calendar with Month, Week at a glance task entries (8) Task count for Custom Views (9) Make the Status field customizable or add an additional User customizable field, etc.

Some of these are long standing requests from your most ardent users who love TD.

+1 and I would like to add to the list (0) including saved searches in mobile apps.

I am a big fan of Toodledo and use it every single day. Kudos to the development team and the efforts they're putting in. And I love the fact that you guys communicate so openly and interact with the users a lot.

But it frustrates me that you're putting so much resources in the habits section, while the improvement of Toodledo's core features, i.e. task management, seems to be lost somewhere on a lower priority list. I see from the progress report that you've been working on a new release for the habits section on Android and iOS, while saved searches (the native Toodledo environment for a lot of users) are still not available on mobile even in spite of several users requests.

And TBH, I don't think Toodledo profits from having a habits section. It shouldn't even have one IMHO. It's a kickass best-of-its-kind task management tool, but if you want a habit tracking tool there are already a lot of better alternatives such as HabitRPG, HabitBull, etc. The same goes for the notes section for that matter (though to a lesser extent): being able to add some info to a task is useful, but if I want to include more info than just some plain text or manage entire notebooks, I'll switch to Evernote or OneNote or the likes.

I would put my money on integration, not expansion. Like what you guys already did for IFTTT's Toodledo channel - great work! Or you could integrate Evernote notes into Toodledo tasks better, or make it possible to incorporate Toodledo completion stats into HabitRPG, etc. People don't want a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none task-note-list-habit management tool. They want core functionality. Very extensive, highly flexible core functionality that is easily integrated into other (core functionality) tools. But in the end still core functionality.

Just my 2 cents of course :-)

This message was edited Feb 04, 2015.