ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by dan"
dan

Posted Mar 02, 2016 in: search on two words in task name?
Score: 0
  • dan
  • Posted: Mar 02, 2016
  • Score: 0
I did a search here on the forum and did not find this question:

Is there a simple way to search on 2 non-adjacent words in the text of a task? For example, take a task that says "feed the cat". I don't remember the exact wording so I want to search on "feed" and "cat". If you just type those two words in a search, you don't get any hits - because the task has the word "the" in the middle, presumably. You have to use a rule that searches for "feed" and then add a second rule that searches for "cat". Kind of a pain...

I tried "feed, cat" - no help.

Anyone know of a way to do this without adding a second rule?

Thanks
Dan
dan

Score: 1
  • dan
  • Posted: Feb 17, 2016
  • Score: 1
I export completed tasks to a CSV file, and then load that into a spreadsheet.

If you click on the down arrow in the upper right corner, you get a pop-down list of activities - for example, accessing this forum. One of the options in the middle is Import/export/backup.

Good luck
Dan
dan

• dan
  • Posted: Sep 30, 2015
! (exclamation mark) seems to sort ahead of everything else - and also works in Ultimate ToDo List, an Android app that syncs with Toodledo.

Lots of interesting discussions on the Interwebs about sorting - or collation, as the topic is more generally called. One person's "natural" sort sequence is someone else's chaos. Like, in Ireland, McDee and MacDee should sort together - at least, if a human will be retrieving the data - since there is no phonetic difference between the two. Or, that's what some people believe and expect!

Dan
dan

• dan
Posted by SES21:
Just a SWAG but how about using _

Well, that works for Toodledo, but not for Outlook. I think I am out of luck with getting both to work - they almost seem to have opposite sort sequences...

I can work something else out, but I still would like to understand what each one uses!

Dan
dan

• dan
Can someone point me to info on exactly what the sequence of special characters are in the "alphabetic" sort sequence - either specifically in Toodledo, or generally in cloud or smartphone apps? Assuming they are the same, which may be a bad assumption...

I grew up with EBCDIC on IBM mainframes, and ASCII on everything else - but Toodledo (and maybe lots of other things) don't seem to use ASCII - at least, not consistently. Now, I realize an app can try to help by, for example, ignoring upper and lower case differences, stripping off leading blanks or words like "the"... But I am just talking about special characters at this point - asterisk, dollar sign, pound sign, etc.

I have a few special tasks that I want to sort to the front, and I use one asterisk or two asterisks. That works fine. Now I want one thing to sort in front of THOSE. No luck - leading spaces get stripped, and the lower sequence ASCII characters (like $ and #) seem to sort AFTER the asterisks.

And this is complicated for me by the fact that I am syncing tasks with Outlook on Windows using gsyncit - and what works there does not seem to work here...

Anyway, any help would be appreciated!
Dan
dan

Posted Dec 01, 2010 in: Lost my repeat attributes
  • dan
  • Posted: Dec 01, 2010
Well, I am giving up on my Outlook / Toodledo / GotToDo mess - I lost most of the repeat attributes on my tasks. I realize Toodledo does not make the sync components - but Outlook is my main task manager, and if I cannot rely on this all working, it's so long Toodledo and GotToDo. I wonder if I can get back the money I just wasted on my recently renewed Pro subscription.

I suspect it's Chromatic Dragon's sync component between Outlook and Toodledo - it's always been troublesome, often not moving updates from Toodledo down to Outlook ... but WHO KNOWS? There is no way to debug this kludge, no logging of sync activity, ...

Frustrated!!
Dan
dan

• dan
  • Posted: Sep 16, 2010
Anyone know how to use the recovery options in Chromatic Dragon sync "correctly"? The only info online is "This is a dangerous option that will almost certainly create many duplicate tasks if used incorrectly."

I have a problem where sometimes tasks created on my Android phone, synced to Toodledo using Got To Do, do NOT get sync'ed to Outlook. If I update them in Toodledo, they will sync. Usually, they do sync to Outlook properly without the Toodledo update. I don't know what causes this - but when I discover it, I would like to force a full sync. Can the recovery options do this?

Dan
dan

Posted Jul 15, 2009 in: Could not initialize Outlook proxy
  • dan
  • Posted: Jul 15, 2009
Hmm .. this is working now. I did have to restart it - and I restarted it differently, so that may be it. I'll see what happens after a clean boot.

The reason I had to restart - not sure anyone else has run into this - is, if I have the app window open, and I shut it down with F4, or I think, the X in the upper right, then the NEXT time I try to open the window, I get a .NET Framework error, saying it cannot access the disposed object, named 'frmOptions.' The Continue button does nothing, so I click Quit, and then restart Toodledosync.

Dan
dan

Posted Jul 15, 2009 in: Could not initialize Outlook proxy
  • dan
  • Posted: Jul 15, 2009
It seems like this was working - but now I get the above error in the trace output IF OUTLOOK IS RUNNING WHEN I DO A SYNC. If I shut down Outlook, it syncs OK.

Interestingly, I have basically the same problem with Hotsync. It gets an error (not much detail that I remember) if Outlook is running - works OK if I shut Outlook down. So there could be something weird in my system.

I tried shutting down my firewall and my anti-virus - no change. I am using Outlook 2007 on Vista, and Toodledosync 0.9.9.6.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Dan
dan

• dan
  • Posted: Jun 15, 2009
sorry - "check" is part of the task subject - should have deleted that from the example log.

So it's:
SynchLib:addTaskItemsToContextList() preferring incomplete recurring task xxxxxxx

Dan
dan

• dan
  • Posted: Jun 15, 2009
Well, I just waited for the 15 minute sync interval I specified in options, to expire, and it seems to have updated fine. Sorry about that - just too impatient!

One other thing - just curious what this message means:
SynchLib:addTaskItemsToContextList() preferring incomplete recurring task check xxxxxx

"preferring"?

xxxxxx is a recurring task in outlook - set to repeat 30 days after completion - and I had just marked the current one as complete.

Thanks
Dan
dan

• dan
  • Posted: Jun 14, 2009
I'll run some more tests.

Its funny - I grew up on small, and then large, IBM mainframes - and I am used to things happening when you do them - or, at least, you have to wait until the processing is done, before you get to do something else. Its pretty different now.

I remember running some tests a while back on delicious.com - a bookmark web site. I was testing searches - I would update the comments and tags on a bookmark, then do a search - and it would not find it. Wait a few minutes - do the search again - and find what I had entered. I realized they must have some background index updating going on - while I assumed any index was updated as soon as I clicked save.

Anyway, I will report back.
Dan
dan

• dan
  • Posted: Jun 14, 2009
Anyone else having this problem - I created a task on outlook - it synced to Toodledo - I marked it complete on Toodledo - ran a sync - the Outlook task is still incomplete. I updated the task subject on Toodledo - ran another sync - Outlook task updated and marked complete.

Could this be related to the setting I used of "Ignore existing completed tasks"? I thought that was only to reduce the data synced initially.

Partial logs are below. Task is "another sample task".
Thanks
Dan

The first sync's log showed this:
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:checkUpdatedOnToodledoIncremental() checking ToodleTask: 20818761 [another sample task] for updates
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:checkUpdatedOnToodledoIncremental(): local timestamp = 6/14/2009 4:47:54 PM server timestamp =6/14/2009 4:47:48 PM
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:performPartialSync() creating new outlook item contexts
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:performPartialSync() creating new toodledo item contexts
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:processContexts() processing contexts
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : StateCreatedOnOutlook(): IgnoreExistingCompletedTasks enabled. Skipping

The second one showed this:
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:checkUpdatedOnToodledoIncremental() checking ToodleTask: 20818761 [another sample task - update] for updates
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:checkUpdatedOnToodledoIncremental(): local timestamp = 6/14/2009 4:47:54 PM server timestamp =6/14/2009 4:52:37 PM
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:checkUpdatedOnToodledoIncremental(): task modified on web
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:performPartialSync() creating new outlook item contexts
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:performPartialSync() creating new toodledo item contexts
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SynchLib:processContexts() processing contexts
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : TaskItemProcessor:updateTaskItemFromTask(): updating Outlook task from ToodleTask: 20818761 [another sample task - update]
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : SyncContext:switchState() moving to state Synched
SyncApp.exe Information: 0 : StateCreatedOnOutlook(): IgnoreExistingCompletedTasks enabled. Skipping
dan

• dan
  • Posted: Jun 06, 2009
Please ignore this - I would delete it if I could - it turned out to be a filter - all the tasks synced.

Sorry!
Dan

Original message:
-----------------

I just installed Outlook Sync for the first time - I disabled Automatic Sync until I could check it out - I ran a Manual Sync from the File menu - and it synced about 20 tasks, then stopped - saying Sync was complete in the status bar. I re-ran it - got 15 more. Ran it again - 12 more.

I turned on the trace, and it runs a while, then says:
StateCreatedOnOutlook():Maximum Toodledo updates exceeded for this cycle. Skipping

I also checked the tasks in Outlook, and it looks like they are being modifed - at least, the modified date is set. No obvious changes. And it sounds like the message is saying that *outlook* updates have been exceeded, not toodledo updates.

Anyway - anyone else seen this? Is there a max updates it will do in Outlook - perhaps to avoid problems like everything being deleted?

I can keep running the sync - but I thought I would ask here. BTW, I have 145 tasks in Outlook.

Dan

This message was edited Jun 06, 2009.
dan

• dan
  • Posted: May 23, 2009
Sven - I am pretty new to Toodledo, but I created and saved a search that does what you suggested - select with no completion date, and (no due date, or a due date on or before tomorrow) - and I think that will be my most common way of using toodledo. I can also sort it the way I want - priority major, then whatever other field you want - and it saves that as well.

I was testing another task manager (Remember the Milk) and they actually have the concept of a smart search, that looks just like another view - I ALMOST liked Toodledo's Importance field, but it did not quite do what I want - now this saved search seems to meet my needs.

Hope this helps.
Dan