Search results for "Posted by dchapiro"
dchapiro

Posted Jul 15, 2018 in: Future Plans
Score: 0
  • dchapiro
  • Posted: Jul 15, 2018
  • Score: 0
ENHANCEMENT REQUESTS:
I like Toodledo, I use it many times a day, and it is a critical tool for me (from research, to taxes, to maintenance, to investments, and many more). However, I do not use many features that I find flawed. Rather than pushing for what I like (but others might not), I would like to suggest a list of things that I believe would make Toodledo much more powerful, and are not too involved. Most importantly, they can be made fully backwards compatible, so no user would be forced to change anything unless they want to. So here’s my list:

EASY (and my top priority)

1. Attach Links:
The current behavior of “attach” copies the file. I would find attachments useful only if Toodledo loaded just a link to the local file in the user's computer. Upon clicking this link it should open the file with the default utility for the type of file (not in the browser!). This would be more general, more powerful, and any changes to files, whether opened from a Toodledo link, or via the file system, would work the same (no more duplicates, and no need to store them at Toodledo). To keep backwards compatibility, add a user option to choose this "link behavior".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----

WOULD BE NICE

2. Subtasks:
2.1 Visualization: Nested subtasks are followed by an extraneous blank line, which uses screen space. Pls add a setting so people can choose to not have that extra blank line (or get rid of it altogether, if like me, you see it as a bug)
2.1 Rank Propagation:
If a subtask is hidden, even if it’s overdue and top priority, it is not displayed – if you don’t want to miss urgent things, the only workaround is to expand (inline or indented). So you can have a compact view, or see what’s urgent, but not both.
I’d like to propose a simple solution: l’ll call the position of a task in the current view (based on hotlist, sorting, etc), its “rank”. Have an option in settings that would display each task with the highest of (a) its own rank and (b) that of all its subtasks. In this way one can run with the subtasks hidden, without fear of missing stuff.

3. Cursor in Task's Notes Section
When one re-opens the text note of a task, the cursor is always at the beginning. Have it instead at the end (that is at the beginning of a new blank line, at the end of the note). Alternately, have a setting that allows the user to choose.

4. “Recently” Completed
Add an option to let the user define what is recent, rather than the arbitrary 7 days.

5. Partial Backups
Allow (a) backing up only the current view, (b) allow “add restore”, which instead of replacing the current tasks, would just add what’s on the file.

6. Task notes in Outline form:
When one clicks the note icon of a task, it would open a plain text window (as it does now), but within it, one could (a) just type as usual, or (b) click on new buttons “Outline” or “Note”, in which case the task’s note would be a Toodledo Outline or Note, respectively, instead of plain text.

7. Icons for task vs subtask
When one inlines subtasks, it would be much better to readily distinguish parent vs child subtasks, but the current icons are too similar. I'd have an option to choose a color for the parent icon, or rotate the subtask's icon upside down, whatever would make them very quickly recognizable.

8. ShowHide
Although the eye icon is clever, and the open/shut eyes too, there is a sort of standard way to do that, which is a "View" menu, with options ticked on/off. It is so prevalent across GUIs, that any new user of Toodledo wastes a bit of time figuring out the "Toodledo way" and novel icon. Maybe this is trivial, but I'm for not re-inventing what works…

9. Settings
By default, open the settings in a new tab. Also, bring the "gear icon" up one level, to the crumbs bar.

10. Automated Backups
I invest a lot in my tasks, as many ideas and notes reside just there. The current backup relies on being disciplined and regularly doing it manually. I’ve seen requests to automate backups (in the forum), that go years back…
I’d like a setting for “automatic backup” to my computer, to specify a folder, a time, and tick the days of the week when you want it to run.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----

FUTURE

11. Desktop GUI:
Have (keep) GUIs that are (somewhat) platform dependent: what is great for a cell phone, where space is at a premium, is bad in a 27” monitor – and vice versa.
I use Toodledo exclusively on a desktop, and in part chose Toodledo because I can get at things with few clicks. Without going into every feature change, as things disappear from the main window or from toolbars (as in somme past changes), naturally one needs to click more times to get there.
So-called “clean GUIs” are pretty and uncluttered, and a necessity for cell phones. However, sometimes are far from ideal on a desktop. I understand the need to support cell phones, but I’d rather that this happened through specialization of the GUIs, instead of everywhere.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2018.
dchapiro

Posted Dec 18, 2015 in: Todoist vs Toodledo -- Why I'm back.
  • dchapiro
  • Posted: Dec 18, 2015
Before going ahead with Toodledo I tried most of the other top task managers. Some of the competitors have GUIs that on the surface look more modern and uncluttered. However, that comes at the expense of (a) loss of functionality and/or (b) many clicks and view updates, and not due to a better interface.

I think that Toodledo's GUI could be made prettier in terms of graphic design, but I would not care at all for changes in the direction of burying function or visibility into deeper levels of the GUI.

Form should follow function!

PS: and in the battle of icons vs text, there are so many tools and icons, that their meanings sometimes are inscrutable. So have a setting to allow users to choose one, the other or both, which should suit novices, experts, and less frequent users alike.

This message was edited Dec 18, 2015.
dchapiro

Posted Dec 17, 2015 in: Introducing Smart Quick Add
  • dchapiro
  • Posted: Dec 17, 2015
Great feature! Much faster than via menus :)